spc
Search similar:

uniqs
id09542
join:2002-04-25
Bloomington, IL

id09542

T-Mobile has this today

T-Mobile is doing this today. I have two Android phones on T-Mobile and they both offload voice/data to my WiFi network at home. I typically had problems being on the fringe of service for at my home over the cellular network, but no longer an issue using my WiFi. Works on any WiFi network and voice clarity and data speed is great. Only caveat, I still use up my voice minutes even when offloaded to WiFi. I can see this being a great option for a lot of people.

buddahbless
join:2005-03-21
Premium

buddahbless

Re: T-Mobile similar but not the same

As you said TMO has wifi calling but it eats through your min package ( unless your on unlimited) I can picture this being a hit in Major metro areas, Chicago, LA, the NEC ( north east corridor) or for those individuals who dont qualify for safelink ( for whatever reason) or any one of the government supported cell services, however outside of that those who need more than 550 mins or 300 mb of data a month will look elsewhere. I still believe there introduction to the market will help drive the big guys prices down.

tc1uscg
join:2005-03-09
Gulfport, MS

tc1uscg

Yes they do and don't they call it UTM service? Seems the phone was "recoded" to act like a VoWIFI phone and hands off to CDMA (sprint) when the threshold is hit. Problem is, I've not found any listings to what that threshold is. Re-associating with a cell tower is said to be seamless which tells me, it's in "standby" mode till it hits that magic number then it switches. Running in and out of your house could result in a dropped call.
25139889 (banned)
join:2011-10-25
Toledo, OH

25139889 (banned)

The only threshold is the amount of resources you're allowed to use on the Sprint Network. Otherwise its unlimited and they tell you up front that the phone is designed to be on your WiFi network or a Wifi network.

And yes if you go outside of wifi network; the phone will drop its call and you'd have to re-dial. TMO has the same problem as the phone/technology can NOT switch over since the WiFi calling basically connects to their VPN server/switch via the Internet and not directly on the tower.