telcodad to whfsdude

MVM

to whfsdude

Re: [IPv6] Deployment of IPv6 Begins

An article on the Light Reading Cable site this evening:

Cable Giants Get Aggressive on IPv6
Light Reading Cable - March 20, 2012
»www.lightreading.com/doc ··· r_cable&

"Comcast Corp. and Time Warner Cable Inc. both expect to roll out IPv6 to a substantial number of customers this year, though neither is giving out specifics.

John Brzozowski, chief architect for IPv6 at Comcast, told a breakfast audience here that Comcast will have IPv6 deployed in half of its network by the end of the second quarter and is "happily on our way to nationwide IPv6 deployment," some of which spills over into 2013.

Brzozowski also says Comcast will have an IPv6 home networking solution to announce, probably by summer. That becomes more important as content moves to IPv6 and consumers get their hands on newer IPv6-capable devices.

Lee Howard, director of network technology for Time Warner Cable, reiterated that the MSO will have 100,000 customers on IPv6-capable networks by June 6, the new World IPv6 Launch Day, and added today that TWC sees 2012 as a year for substantial IPv6 activity, though that activity will continue into 2013.
:
All three companies have decided to go native dual stack, essentially deploying IPv4 and IPv6 side-by-side throughout their network. This is considered the most graceful solution to deploying IPv6 while continuing to support IPv4, but is often also the most expensive, which has led some carriers to consider transition strategies such as tunneling and Carrier-Grade Network Address Translation.

All three cable technologists say their extensive examination of IPv6 transition options led to the conclusion that native dual-stack is the only approach that isn't a Band-Aid approach, which essentially delays addressing the real problem: getting IPv6 out to the entire customer base.

"I can't say there are not circumstances under which we wouldn't use a different transition strategy," Howard says. "But since native IPv6 is our long-term strategy, anyway, it makes more sense to do that now.""

Mike Wolf
join:2009-05-24
Tuckerton, NJ

2 edits

1 recommendation

Mike Wolf

Until we see specifics and actual tangible progress being made its just empty promises and words on a screen.

By tangiable process I mean the type of progress we see when World of More or channel bonding or faster speeds or D3 service is being rolled out and people are reporting in area by area, state by state when they got it.

aefstoggaflm
Open Source Fan
Premium Member
join:2002-03-04
Bethlehem, PA
Linksys E4200
ARRIS SB6141

1 recommendation

aefstoggaflm to whfsdude

Premium Member

to whfsdude
said by whfsdude:

said by Mike Wolf:

How would one know if they are seeing RA's on their own router?

In my case I am using a *nix based router so I can just run tcpdump on the WAN interface.

tcpdump -i em0 -n -vv ip6

I am running DHCPv6 as well on the WAN int. Nothing being handed out to me yet but I wonder if that's because my Zoom modem isn't on their IPv6 list (maybe soon? finger crossed!).

Besides the question that I posted earlier, I am just wondering..

#1 Why not use WireShark ?

#2 Does the IP Address of the computer running WireShark (or using that command line way), have to be a public IP ?

Thanks.

whfsdude
Premium Member
join:2003-04-05
Washington, DC

1 recommendation

whfsdude

Premium Member

said by aefstoggaflm:

If it were something I'd need to trace or just more data, I would have used tcpdump to a file and opened it in Wireshark.

If you're just looking at router advertisements and DHCPv6, not real need to go through all the effort of using Wireshark.

#2 Does the IP Address of the computer running WireShark (or using that command line way), have to be a public IP ?

tcpdump is actually being run on the interface, not on an address. It has to be your WAN interface if you want to see if Comcast is sending out any RAs.
doofoo
join:2002-01-21
Upper Marlboro, MD

1 recommendation

doofoo to jlivingood

to jlivingood
Of course still no news on IPv6 for static ip business customers.

They are so gung-ho on getting IPv6 working, but for those of us who run servers, our own email, etc we can't even get IPv6 on their network.

We just get the same ole line from their IPv6 support team: "Let your account rep know".

I haven't talked to my account rep since I signed my contract YEARS ago. I am telling you. You make note of it, you make it happen!

jjmb
join:2009-12-01
USA

jjmb to aefstoggaflm

to aefstoggaflm
said by aefstoggaflm:

said by whfsdude:

said by Mike Wolf:

How would one know if they are seeing RA's on their own router?

In my case I am using a *nix based router so I can just run tcpdump on the WAN interface.

tcpdump -i em0 -n -vv ip6

I am running DHCPv6 as well on the WAN int. Nothing being handed out to me yet but I wonder if that's because my Zoom modem isn't on their IPv6 list (maybe soon? finger crossed!).

Besides the question that I posted earlier, I am just wondering..

Thanks.

Be sure to check »mydeviceinfo.comcast.net, we are making regular updates.

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer to doofoo

Premium Member

to doofoo
said by doofoo:

We just get the same ole line from their IPv6 support team: "Let your account rep know".

I haven't talked to my account rep since I signed my contract YEARS ago.

If your account rep is like mine, he won't bother to return calls or answer email even if you try to contact him. Once they collect their commission, you no longer exist.
doofoo
join:2002-01-21
Upper Marlboro, MD

doofoo

Sounds about right..

I don't even know my account rep's name anymore anyways.

I just can't understand how they are talking about the June roll-out of IPv6 and whatnot but have no information about business class IPv6 at all.

At this point I'm thinking of just switching over to a bonded ADSL2 solution here at some point and scaling back my comcast line for backup only.

RR Conductor
Ridin' the rails
Premium Member
join:2002-04-02
Redwood Valley, CA
ARRIS SB6183
Netgear R7000

2 edits

RR Conductor to jlivingood

Premium Member

to jlivingood
Our service just came back up after being down for an hour, I wonder if it is related to this issue. During the outage I checked the outage info for our area on my Smartphone, and it said they were doing scheduled maintenance.

Edit-They must have forgotten something lol Right after I wrote this, the connection went down again. It's back up now though.

Edit2-Hmm, something changed, one of our four bonded download channels changed from 4 to 6, so now it's 6,1,2,3. The upload bonded channels are still 1 and 2 though.

jjmb
join:2009-12-01
USA

jjmb to doofoo

to doofoo
We will have IPv6 updates for our commercial customer soon. We are in the process of completing some planning which is essential to provide accurate information.
jjmb

jjmb to doofoo

to doofoo
said by doofoo:

Sounds about right..

I don't even know my account rep's name anymore anyways.

I just can't understand how they are talking about the June roll-out of IPv6 and whatnot but have no information about business class IPv6 at all.

At this point I'm thinking of just switching over to a bonded ADSL2 solution here at some point and scaling back my comcast line for backup only.

Please check »www.comcast6.net periodically, we will post updates on this site.
Expand your moderator at work

Sunny
Runs from Clowns

join:2001-08-19

Sunny to telcodad

to telcodad

(topic move) [IPv6] Comcast Pulls Back On IPv6 Rollout

Moderator Action
The post that was here (and all 6 followups to it), has been moved to a new topic .. »[IPv6] Comcast Pulls Back On IPv6 Rollout