join:2001-11-13
Bethel, CT
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 recommendation

reply to Mike Wolf

Re: [IPv6] Deployment of IPv6 Begins

said by Mike Wolf:

Plus I got the same E4200 router, Just be sure to update the firmware to 1.0.03 since it includes native IPv6 support

I just updated my brand new E3200 to the newest release (1.0.02 (build 9)) and it also includes IPV6 native support. The release notes state: "This build is certified with the IPv6 Ready Logo Phase-2 (Gold)." Hopefully that's a good thing.
--
Old dogs can learn new tricks!

Mike Wolf

join:2009-05-24
Beachwood, NJ
kudos:3

hey greybeard long time no see!! man its good to see your posts again. I've been so busy on the tv side of things I completely forgot about this side. Anyway the update for my E4200 said the same thing about phase 2 gold but it still doesn't have 6to4 configuration support as an option.

whfsdude
Premium
join:2003-04-05
Washington, DC
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 recommendation

I'd consider the lack of 6to4 on the E4200 a good thing. It's being deprecated and has caused some serious brokenness on the IPv6 internet.

While you wait for native v6, you're much better off getting a static tunnel from HE or SixXs (AYIYA works from behind NAT), or even using Teredo.

Expand your moderator at work

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ
reply to whfsdude

but I for some reasn can't figure out how to make the HE and SixXs stuff work lol. I'm used to the 6RD settings where I can enter them into the router configuration page.

jus10

join:2009-08-04
Sterling, VA
reply to whfsdude

said by whfsdude:

I'd consider the lack of 6to4 on the E4200 a good thing. It's being deprecated and has caused some serious brokenness on the IPv6 internet..

Umm? 6to4 comes higher up in the ipv6 prioritization than Teredo. Most OS's will prefer it to Teredo (and many OS's don't even support Teredo without additional software, namely Miredo). 6to4 works fine as long as the tunneling is working which is true of Teredo or a static tunnel. As to working behind NAT, that shouldn't matter if he's willing to run some ipv6 software on the router. My router does the 6to4 work and it advertises ipv6 addresses to my machines on the LAN. They don't need to deal with NAT'ed ipv6 because the ipv6 isn't behind any NAT. If my router didn't support ipv6 then yes I'd agree that Teredo or static tunnels might be a better option. And I'd go with static tunnels being preferable to 6to4 but not to Teredo.

And to my knowledge Comcast doesn't run a Teredo exchange while they do run 6to4 exchanges. So performance should be better with 6to4 over Teredo.

mahohmei

join:2008-10-29
reply to jlivingood

I'm pretty new to IPv6, but I guess my main question is how dual-stack will play out in my household on a few devices that, from what I've been reading up on, aren't exactly IPv6-ready:

- Linksys WRT54G v2. I can install OpenWRT, and if this fails or bricks, I'll go buy an E4200.

- Windows XP Professional SP3.

- Tivo Series2 with USB-Ethernet dongle. Uses the Internet, but I also access the TiVo from the LAN to download TV shows to my computer.

- Nintendo Wii with USB-Ethernet dongle. Uses the Internet.

- EpsonNet parallel print server. Only used within the LAN.

csnyder

join:2007-09-10
Grand Rapids, MI

1 recommendation

said by mahohmei:

- Linksys WRT54G v2. I can install OpenWRT, and if this fails or bricks, I'll go buy an E4200.

I'm using DD-WRT on my Linksys router, and it supports IPv6 (I've been using 6to4 on Comcast for the past few months). Not sure how OpenWRT IPv6 support is.

said by mahohmei:

- Windows XP Professional SP3.

Should work fine - Google if you can't figure out how to get it working.

said by mahohmei:

- Tivo Series2 with USB-Ethernet dongle. Uses the Internet, but I also access the TiVo from the LAN to download TV shows to my computer.

- Nintendo Wii with USB-Ethernet dongle. Uses the Internet.

- EpsonNet parallel print server. Only used within the LAN.

Don't worry about these devices. They'll be able to cruise along just fine on the existing IPv4 network. By the time v4 is deprecated (nobody is seriously talking about timetables for this yet - probably decades), this equipment will be museum-eligible.

Dual-stack allows existing IPv4 devices to function just as they always have: they'll ignore the IPv6 packets that they don't understand. To enable IPv6 on your network, the only things you need to worry about are the core networking equipment - probably just the cable modem and router (network switches will work fine - they work at a lower layer than IP).

mahohmei

join:2008-10-29

1 recommendation

Technically, the TiVo, Wii, and EpsonNet could have their firmware/software upgraded to support IPv6. TiVo seems to do an excellent job continuing to support old devices, and I could imagine Nintendo being interested in making the Wii work with IPv6.

Epson, OTOH, seems to have abandoned the EpsonNet, however, looking at the printer marketplace, I am fairly confident that our next home printer will have on-board Ethernet--currently looking at the HP LaserJet CP1025nw.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX
reply to jjmb

Currently I have a 6over4 tunnel via hurricane electric with a /48 which I then have split into multiple /64's for my vlan's, so will I be able to get a /48 from comcast?

bclbob

join:2000-06-23
Oak Park, IL
reply to jlivingood

Looks like I'm going to keep 6to4 going on my cisco router a little while longer yet...

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ

1 recommendation

reply to mahohmei

i'm not sure those companies are all that willing to put the effort into IPv6 support, I mean TiVo can't even update their Premiere models regularly with stability patches let alone finish the HD menu and activate the second half of the dual core processor, and Nintendo will probably hold off until their next gen console. PlayStation 3 on the otherhand is a toss up and am hoping they do include IPv6 which has been asked of them by a large majority of their customers for awhile.

bakkalfamily

join:2011-11-11
Broomfield, CO
reply to jlivingood

will the Cisco DPC 3010 be on that list and if it is when can we expect it and if its no can we get it added?

sortofageek
Runs from Clowns
Premium,Mod
join:2001-08-19
kudos:21
reply to jlivingood

(topic move) Will Cisco DPC 3010 be supported by Comcast?

Moderator Action
The post that was here, has been moved to a new topic .. »Will Cisco DPC 3010 be supported by Comcast?

ArrayList
netbus developer
Premium
join:2005-03-19
Brighton, MA
reply to jlivingood

I only want gateway device support. none of this /128 stuff. give me a /96 or /64

SolarPup
Hardware God
Premium
join:2002-03-07
Windsor, CO
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 recommendation

reply to jlivingood

Jason,

Thanks for yours and everyone's hard work on this project.. definitely a huge improvement.. However, it is a bit ridiculous that Business customers can't use it.. and like someone else said their sales person is clueless, it's the same with mine. I just renewed my contract for 3 years because I love the speeds, and 24 hr support for business, but why in the world did business customers get left out?

I know the techops manager and headend manager here personally, but it doesn't help anything suggesting to them, because A) they're just doing what is pushed down to them and B) I'm just a lone business customer in a coverage area of 95,000.

Can you shine some light on this at all?
--
...I don't have a 50mb speedy connection, I fly through the net at low altitudes!

NetDog
Premium,VIP
join:2002-03-04
Parker, CO
kudos:77

1 recommendation

@SolarPup,

Can you support 6to4 tunnel? Comcast has a 6to4 tunnel online for Comcast customers. Here are the directions: »www.comcast6.net/6to4-config.php

jlivingood
Premium,VIP
join:2007-10-28
Philadelphia, PA

1 recommendation

reply to SolarPup

said by SolarPup:

However, it is a bit ridiculous that Business customers can't use it.. and like someone else said their sales person is clueless, it's the same with mine. I just renewed my contract for 3 years because I love the speeds, and 24 hr support for business, but why in the world did business customers get left out?

In this case it is easier to start with residential first, as the devices are simpler cable modems without a gateway/router/firewall function. This is one of the reasons we did not lead with support for home gateway devices - it is incrementally more complex. So we want to get rolling now, so that means we wanted to focus on the simplest possible operational and support scenario.

Next up is home gateway support. After that I imagine it will be business class support. You can rest assured I see it as a priority. But we need to get SMC to deliver IPv6 support, which we are working on (and Business Class folks are watching this thread).
--
JL
Comcast

magamiako

join:2006-01-14
Halethorpe, MD

1 recommendation

Jason,

Would you be able to shed some light on a few things? Even if just one of these would be great. I am doing a lot of IPv6 education in the local area and I fully expect a whole lot of questions surrounding Comcast's IPv6 deployment (and many more people to show up to my talks).

#1. What's the plan as far as prefixes go, ultimately? Will residential customers be able to pick up larger than a /64 for their own purposes? A /60? /56? /48?

#2. Are there any plans on charging per individual devices found with globally routable IPv6 addresses on a customer's network?

#2 sounds far-fetched to me but it was a question I've already been asked by a few people and would love an official answer to.

SolarPup
Hardware God
Premium
join:2002-03-07
Windsor, CO
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to jlivingood

said by jlivingood:

In this case it is easier to start with residential first, as the devices are simpler cable modems without a gateway/router/firewall function. This is one of the reasons we did not lead with support for home gateway devices - it is incrementally more complex. So we want to get rolling now, so that means we wanted to focus on the simplest possible operational and support scenario.

Next up is home gateway support. After that I imagine it will be business class support. You can rest assured I see it as a priority. But we need to get SMC to deliver IPv6 support, which we are working on (and Business Class folks are watching this thread).

Awesome, thank you!
--
...I don't have a 50mb speedy connection, I fly through the net at low altitudes!

jlivingood
Premium,VIP
Philadelphia, PA

1 recommendation

reply to magamiako

said by magamiako:

#1. What's the plan as far as prefixes go, ultimately? Will residential customers be able to pick up larger than a /64 for their own purposes? A /60? /56? /48?

Per »blog.comcast.com/2011/11/ipv6-de···ogy.html we will support shorter prefixes eventually in 2012. But initially it will be just a /64. Exact timing in 2012 is TBD. We'll announce more details on this when we begin deployments supporting home gateway devices.

said by magamiako:

#2. Are there any plans on charging per individual devices found with globally routable IPv6 addresses on a customer's network?

#2 sounds far-fetched to me but it was a question I've already been asked by a few people and would love an official answer to.

Not at this time. IMO this would discourage demand for IPv6 and this in turn means less content on IPv6 (that's the opposite of what we want - which is pervasive IPv6).
--
JL
Comcast

whfsdude
Premium
join:2003-04-05
Washington, DC

1 recommendation

reply to jlivingood

Got two questions for you.
1. Are Comcast's v6 DNS servers whitelisted on Google?
2. Has there been any discussion about v6 on Xfinity WiFi ( »www.comcast.com/wifi/ )?

jlivingood
Premium,VIP
Philadelphia, PA

said by whfsdude:

Got two questions for you.
1. Are Comcast's v6 DNS servers whitelisted on Google?
2. Has there been any discussion about v6 on Xfinity WiFi ( »www.comcast.com/wifi/ )?

1 - No, not at this time.

2 - Yes, and this is planned for 2012 (hopefully).
--
JL
Comcast

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT Free
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage

1 recommendation

reply to jlivingood

said by jlivingood:

SMC implies that their SMCD3G-BIZ model is already IPv6 capable.

»www.smc.com/index.cfm?event=view···pid=1678

--
History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid.
-- Dwight D. Eisenhower

jlivingood
Premium,VIP
Philadelphia, PA

2 recommendations

said by NetFixer:

Separating reality from brochureware is our speciality on these device tests. That device does not really and truly support IPv6 yet in our view. We are hopeful that it soon will.
--
JL
Comcast

AVonGauss
Premium
join:2007-11-01
Boynton Beach, FL

said by jlivingood:

Separating reality from brochureware is our speciality on these device tests.

Wonder if its SPX, capable, as well?

somms

join:2003-07-28
Salt Lake City, UT
reply to jlivingood

said by jlivingood:

said by NetFixer:

Separating reality from brochureware is our speciality on these device tests. That device does not really and truly support IPv6 yet in our view. We are hopeful that it soon will.

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brochureware

SLAM! Yeah, never been a fan myself of anything SMC-branded!

netcool
Premium,VIP
join:2008-11-05
Englewood, CO
kudos:71

1 recommendation

reply to NetFixer

said by NetFixer:

I think they are probably referring to cable modem management ipv6 support. I don't recall seeing any configurable ipv6 options in the SMCD3G for static ips, dns servers etc.

Which brings an interesting question to mind, will RIP-NG be used or some other design for assigning static IPs (I hope not static routes!)

magamiako

join:2006-01-14
Halethorpe, MD

1 recommendation

reply to jlivingood

Thanks for the info!

Good stuff. Can't wait to get off of this tunnel.

Here's another one for you, less Comcastic, more Technical.

Have you guys seen any tangible improvements in throughput with IPv6 versus IPv4? How has the lack of checksums on v4, lack of PMTU on routers, and the reduction in NAT improved network performance as a whole?

Would be awesome to see a paper or talk given on that!

NetDog
Premium,VIP
join:2002-03-04
Parker, CO
kudos:77
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 recommendation

said by magamiako:

Have you guys seen any tangible improvements in throughput with IPv6 versus IPv4? How has the lack of checksums on v4, lack of PMTU on routers, and the reduction in NAT improved network performance as a whole?

Would be awesome to see a paper or talk given on that!

I like the sound of that, I will talk to the RMv6TF about adding that to the 2012 North American IPv6 Summit..

»www.rmv6tf.org/default.htm