as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ
kudos:4
reply to Selenia

Re: [General] Say good-bye to Free WiFi

said by Selenia:

Some people are crazy. I notice an insecure AP signal that has pretty good strength at my house. Same SSID and MAC as one that used to be secured for ages. Why anyone would suddenly unsecure their AP after running it secured for a long period is beyond me!

They didn't have web interface disabled and got hacked because of a weak admin password?
--
Oh YES! let me drop everything i'm doing regardless of who it affects to deal with your petty little problem!

Selenia
Gentoo Convert
Premium
join:2006-09-22
Fort Smith, AR
kudos:2
I never enable web admin, even on my professional grade router, let alone consumer grade ones. I just don't trust it. That being said, I can still change settings remotely. I just login to my machine hosting my ssh tunnel, authenticated using a 4096-bit RSA key. Then just type the router's IP in the browser. Some routers don't even use ssl for this function. Using this way, it's encrypted with 256-bit AES with strong authentication, without running a service I don't already use for other things.
--
A fool thinks they know everything.

A wise person knows enough to know they couldn't possibly know everything.

There are zealots for every OS, like every religion. They do not represent the majority of users for either.

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ
kudos:1
reply to Selenia
said by Selenia:

Some people are crazy. I notice an insecure AP signal that has pretty good strength at my house. Same SSID and MAC as one that used to be secured for ages. Why anyone would suddenly unsecure their AP after running it secured for a long period is beyond me!

either the xbox won't work withthe encryption, or there was a power failure, or granny culdn't connect so the grandson just pulled the encryption.
--
--Standard disclaimers apply.--

Billy Cranston: We were told there was a great power here. Is it true?
Dulcea: Yes. The ground is littered with the bones of those who have tried for it and failed.
Tommy Oliver: We're different. We won't fail.

psafux
Premium,VIP
join:2005-11-10
kudos:2
reply to Selenia
said by Selenia:

Why anyone would suddenly unsecure their AP after running it secured for a long period is beyond me!

I can just about guarantee they have no idea.

AVD
Premium
Onion, NJ
reply to BullyRED

jadinolf
I love you Fred
Premium
join:2005-07-09
Ojai, CA
kudos:8

1 edit

--
Printed on 100% Recycled Bytes

jadinolf
I love you Fred
Premium
join:2005-07-09
Ojai, CA
kudos:8
reply to BullyRED
I would love to have FREE WiFi but it will never happen in my winki dink community.
--
Printed on 100% Recycled Bytes

AvalonQC

join:2012-02-10
Mount Pearl, NL
reply to BullyRED
Everyone in my neighborhood seems intelligent enough to have actually secured their connections.

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium
Phoenix, AZ
said by AvalonQC:

Everyone in my neighborhood seems intelligent enough to have actually secured their connections.

Amazing what caps will do to get people off their duffs.

Thespis
I'm not an actor, but I play one on TV.
Premium
join:2004-08-03
Keller, TX
said by dvd536:

said by AvalonQC:

Amazing what caps will do to get people off their duffs.

IMO, there are more secure routers these days because, A.) Users are more aware and B.) Most routers are now secured at the factory.
I live in a FIOS neighborhood and every router I can see is secured. How would you explain that as FIOS has no cap?
--
Fast. Cheap. Safe.
Pick two...

AVD
Premium
Onion, NJ
fios has built in security..

Thespis
Premium
Keller, TX
said by AVD:

No. No it doesn't.
--
Fast. Cheap. Safe.
Pick two...

aefstoggaflm
Open Source Fan
Premium
join:2002-03-04
Bethlehem, PA
kudos:7
Reviews:
·PenTeleData
·Verizon Online DSL
said by Thespis:

said by AVD:

No. No it doesn't.

I believe that they meant to say..

quote:
If you use a FIOS router, by default it is protected (not wide open)
To be more exact, I heard/read that by default they use WEP..
--
Please use the "yellow (IM) envelope" to contact me and please leave the URL intact.

Thespis
Premium
Keller, TX
said by aefstoggaflm:

said by Thespis:

said by AVD:

No. No it doesn't.

I believe that they meant to say..

quote:
If you use a FIOS router, by default it is protected (not wide open)
To be more exact, I heard/read that by default they use WEP..

Which brings us back to my first post and point "B.) Most routers are now secured at the factory." It's not just FIOS and that was my point to dvd536.
AVD: Much of the confusion on message boards can be avoided by simply reading.
--
Fast. Cheap. Safe.
Pick two...

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium
Phoenix, AZ
said by Thespis:

Which brings us back to my first post and point "B.) Most routers are now secured at the factory." It's not just FIOS and that was my point to dvd536.
AVD: Much of the confusion on message boards can be avoided by simply reading.

Those routers aren't retail that fios uses on their installs.
using WEP by default is like using nothing. rofl

--
2012 red envelopes: 03, deserved: 00, C'mon oh reallys: 01

TOPDAWG
Premium
join:2005-04-27
Calgary, AB
kudos:3
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to BullyRED
I can see 5 wifi's from my laptop I'm on now. all but one is locked. I can see someone has bell as that is what it's called and that is how bell sets up their wireless and the one open is the persons house number. I should go over there tell them your shit is open want me to fix it.

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium
Phoenix, AZ
said by TOPDAWG:

I can see 5 wifi's from my laptop I'm on now. all but one is locked. I can see someone has bell as that is what it's called and that is how bell sets up their wireless and the one open is the persons house number. I should go over there tell them your shit is open want me to fix it.

Setup a bt client seeding a popular "linux iso", let it run all month. i bet not long after their overage bill comes that router gets locked down.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX
kudos:3
said by dvd536:

said by TOPDAWG:

Setup a bt client seeding a popular "linux iso", let it run all month. i bet not long after their overage bill comes that router gets locked down.

Naw that might not even work

instead find the default login info and secure their router
when they find they can't get on things might start rolling