uniqs
cablewizzard
join:2009-06-14
Woodbury, NY

cablewizzard to nltech

to nltech

Re: Optimum Wifi Ip-addresses

said by nltech:

Update: Here are the responses I got from support on this.

I am not surprised - what you've been asking is going way beyond "trainable" level for tech support reps. What you're asking has to be answered by admins way above tech support rep's pay level - the kind you'll simply never have access to, and which are not customer-facing.

There's a customer feedback page for O-wifi where you can ask questions - I posted the URL to it in some other thread before.

If you find an actual AP that looks like a "rogue access point" (as mentioned in their FAQ!) to you, that might be the route to report it, if the public IP is on CV's network:

If you are connected to a 'rogue' , checking your public IP via www.whatsmyip.org would turn up an IP that has whois information showing something OTHER than Optimum WIFI - like OOL-CPE (for dynamic IPs) or something different altogether.
nltech
join:2007-06-13
West Haverstraw, NY

nltech

said by cablewizzard:

said by nltech:

If you are connected to a 'rogue' , checking your public IP via www.whatsmyip.org would turn up an IP that has whois information showing something OTHER than Optimum WIFI - like OOL-CPE (for dynamic IPs) or something different altogether.

By just visiting the homepage of ARIN.net, at the top of the screen it will show your IP address also. If you click on the IP it will also provide who the address is delegated to.

In this case it was "CSC Holdings", Cablevision. If a Cablevision customer setup a wifi access point and called it optimumwifi, this record would still show Cablevision. The organizational details will show whether it was statically assigned or part of a dynamic IP block.

For BOL it will show Cablevision and will also show the actual customer the record is delegated to unless they requested to keep it private. If the customer requested to keep it private, the Organizational record for CV will show as "Static IP Services".

Can't remember what the detail record shows for their wifi access points but will login later and find out. In this case the ARIN information was correct showing Cablevision but it was the non-public DHCP assignment from a 25.0.0.0/8 block that threw me.
TheWiseGuy
Dog And Butterfly
MVM
join:2002-07-04
East Stroudsburg, PA

TheWiseGuy to cablewizzard

MVM

to cablewizzard
said by cablewizzard:

said by nltech:

I suspect, though I am not 100% sure it could be done, that a "rogue twin" would be able to act as a man-in-the-middle and allow someone to connect to them while they connected to the Wi-Fi hotspot, so the public IP could still be correct.

In any case anything someone does via a hotspot is public and anyone can see it via simply sniffing, no twin needed, so the only privacy/security is encryption to a secure site. DNS cache poisoning would be pretty simple since rtt to a wi-fi sniffer is likely to be less than to the DNS server. So users should pay careful attention to whether there are certificate alerts when using W-Fi.