join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ

dvd536 to Gbcue

Premium Member

to Gbcue

Re: [General] Say good-bye to Free WiFi

said by Gbcue:

Free Wi-Fi is not going anywhere.

it has here. 5 years ago i had six open or WEP options.
4 disappeared and the two i can still see are WPA2

Stevester2
@rr.com

Stevester2

Anon

said by dvd536:

said by Gbcue:

Free Wi-Fi is not going anywhere.

it has here. 5 years ago i had six open or WEP options.
4 disappeared and the two i can still see are WPA2

Those were NOT "free" WiFi but insecure connections, two completely different things.

Everyone should learn how to secure their wireless setup, or have someone do it for them.

In my neighborhood there used to be about a dozen open connections, now all of them are either hidden and/or locked down.

Selenia
Gentoo Convert
Premium Member
join:2006-09-22
Fort Smith, AR

Selenia

Premium Member

Some people are crazy. I notice an insecure AP signal that has pretty good strength at my house. Same SSID and MAC as one that used to be secured for ages. Why anyone would suddenly unsecure their AP after running it secured for a long period is beyond me!

thedragonmas
Premium Member
join:2007-12-28
Albany, GA
Netgear R6300 v2
ARRIS SB6180

thedragonmas

Premium Member

said by Selenia:

Some people are crazy. I notice an insecure AP signal that has pretty good strength at my house. Same SSID and MAC as one that used to be secured for ages. Why anyone would suddenly unsecure their AP after running it secured for a long period is beyond me!

i ran mine unsecured for a while when i needed to troubleshoot why the heck i couldnt get a WII connected (after entering that key a dozen times with that wiimote ). after getting that little issue taken care of i placed it back secured (WPA2-PSK [AES]) . i can "see" about 5 wifi networks from my place all but one are secured.

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium Member
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ

dvd536 to Selenia

Premium Member

to Selenia
said by Selenia:

They didn't have web interface disabled and got hacked because of a weak admin password?

Selenia
Gentoo Convert
Premium Member
join:2006-09-22
Fort Smith, AR

Selenia

Premium Member

I never enable web admin, even on my professional grade router, let alone consumer grade ones. I just don't trust it. That being said, I can still change settings remotely. I just login to my machine hosting my ssh tunnel, authenticated using a 4096-bit RSA key. Then just type the router's IP in the browser. Some routers don't even use ssl for this function. Using this way, it's encrypted with 256-bit AES with strong authentication, without running a service I don't already use for other things.

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium Member
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ

AVD to Selenia

Premium Member

to Selenia
said by Selenia:

either the xbox won't work withthe encryption, or there was a power failure, or granny culdn't connect so the grandson just pulled the encryption.

psafux
Premium Member
join:2005-11-10

psafux to Selenia

Premium Member

to Selenia
said by Selenia:

Why anyone would suddenly unsecure their AP after running it secured for a long period is beyond me!

I can just about guarantee they have no idea.