spc
Search similar:

uniqs
batsona
Maryland
join:2004-04-17
Ellicott City, MD

batsona

[Info] Cisco VPN Client for Mac OS 10.7 Lion...

As of the morning of 11/10, Cisco does not have a Cisco VPN client that supports the newest 10.7 OS from Apple. The latest client only supports up to 10.6.

Question: Has anyone learned from Cisco when their 10.7-compliant client is due out? I've got VPN customers who are upgrading their systems to 10.7, then phoning me about the somewhat well-known "Error 51" that you get under 10.7.

Do I mandate they move back to 10.6, or is a new VPN Client on its way, hopefully soon???

Nate425
Premium Member
join:2005-02-03
Charlottesville, VA

Nate425

Premium Member

I just use the built in cisco vpn client. Does that not work?

OVERKILL
join:2010-04-05
Peterborough, ON

OVERKILL

said by Nate425:

I just use the built in cisco vpn client. Does that not work?

This.

claydean
join:2003-04-22
Ankeny, IA

claydean to batsona

to batsona
The built in VPN client within OS X Lion seems to connect faster than the VPNClient that Cisco distributed thru 10.6
batsona
Maryland
Ellicott City, MD

batsona

OP here.. It's complicated.. the Cisco VPN client 'profile' is an ASCII text file that the client uses to determine where your VPN server is. It also has a hashed password in it, that's used during one of the steps logging in. Using the OS X client requires a user to get this hash, and unhash it, then plug it into the OS X VPN setup.

This is too complex for the 'regular user' out in the field; we don't have the manpower to support all the people trying to tear into their configurations & "do stuff".

The beauty of the Cisco product is that it's consistant in how it looks/feels between Mac and PC. --Remember we're supporting an enterprise here; we only want to support one single client.

No one's heard of when a 10.7 "cisco" client will be out?

Da Geek Kid
join:2003-10-11
::1

2 edits

Da Geek Kid to batsona

to batsona
with 3sec google search and ...
»anders.com/guides/native ··· ac-os-x/

and another 3sec google found a deployment...
»blog.affirmix.com/2011/0 ··· escript/

now, based on the reads there, what is the question?

btw-- OT, I object the consistency of an app between Mac, and PC. They are NONE alike in any way, why should an app be any different other than the laziness of the developers to producing a proper product...
batsona
Maryland
Ellicott City, MD

batsona

The first link to anders.com, I've seen before, and the one on affirmix.com is massively beyond the reach of a 'normal' user (ie. non-geek) You're OK with these procedures, because your name is "Da Geek Kid"

Remember that this is 'in the workplace' where people need a 1-2-3 step process to install, configure & run. Plus, I have published procedures for the Cisco client, that match the look-and-feel of the Cisco product, whether it's MAC or PC.

I appreciate all the work-arounds, but the only thing that will fit the bill here, is the actual Cisco-manufactured VPN client that will work with 10.7. I trust they'll come out with one, but I don't know when.. That was the Question I posed at the top of the thread. It's OK if no one knows I guess....

Da Geek Kid
join:2003-10-11
::1

Da Geek Kid

Well, the 2nd link is for the admin supporting the 1,2,3 users where the script can be pushed and processed by the admin without user intervention... for Cisco app, I'd open a TAC case.

Although, they may send you to the same link...