spc
uniqs
rustyjeep
join:2011-11-08

rustyjeep to NormanS

to NormanS

Re: Arris TG852G/CT can not find network printer

Hi Norman –

No, my HP 6310 All-In One is natively Ethernet, and one would think any router these days would easily see it.

This Arris TG862 does not.

Good idea, using the “add a-printer” routine, but that only works if the printer can be seen in the first place!

And if it could be seen, the HP install routine (bloated as it is) could then easily do the install itself. I’ve had to do that dozens of times in the past, in fact, and never was the networking aspect an issue.

Point is, my old router – the D-Link – saw the printer immediately, as did the Netgear router before that.

But with absolutely no changes to my LAN, the Arris router does *not* see the printer.

Even assigning a local ip and giving that to the Arris along with the printer’s mac address, which the Arris “accepts” and then goes thru a “waiting” period while it loads, doesn’t work.

That is, after it appears to take the info, the printer never actually appears under the list of connected “computers.”

I can, however, connect and disconnect actual computers all day long and the Arris sees them. But it will not recognize either the HP Ethernet printer or another Netgear Ethernet print server I tried.

And again, Comcast support refuses to discuss this with me, unless I pay them.

Hi Cowboy –

As a modem, the TG862 seems fine to me, with Blast at 7ms ping, 30+ down, and 3.5 up, using itself as an Ethernet router to the computer (I don’t use wireless.)

That’s plenty fast and steady for me, so going to a modem only > separate router is not a necessity for me, unless that is the only way I can connect my printer via Ethernet.

BTW, I’ve temporarily connected the printer via USB and it works as it should.

I think my biggest dissatisfaction is more with Comcast’s refusal to help, rather than not being able to network the printer.

Thanks…

Russ . . .

gar187er
I DID this for a living
join:2006-06-24
Seattle, WA

gar187er

its not on comcast to setup your internal network....

gateways are not as robust as separate components are...if you want the best, do as iowacowboy said and get a modem/router....not a gateway

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

1 edit

NormanS to rustyjeep

MVM

to rustyjeep
said by rustyjeep:

Good idea, using the “add a-printer” routine, but that only works if the printer can be seen in the first place!

Actually, it doesn't need to see a printer to work. Windows 7 certainly could not see my HP LaserJet 5P before running the Wizard. The thing is, when you run the Wizard, you have to select "Add a local printer" at the first step.

First Printer Wizard step.

Second Printer Wizard step.

Third Printer Wizard step.

Fourth Printer Wizard step.

Fifth Printer Wizard step.

After the last step shown will be some additional steps. For one, I used the name, "LP1". For another I selected different from RAW. I am not allowed to access that part of the properties because of UAC; however, if you need to know, I can drill into the details from an Administrative account.

Installed printers.

This is the end result. Be aware, the LaserJet 5P was added by this method, but the Photosmart C6180 was added by running the printer installation software provided by HP. I presume it could be added the same way, if desired.

C6100 series drivers in Windows 7.

So give it a try and see what actually happens.
rustyjeep
join:2011-11-08

rustyjeep

Hi Norman –

Thanks for your effort. I sincerely appreciate it.

Although the HP 6310 is natively an Ethernet printer, I did follow your steps exactly.

All the steps, although run in Vista, performed nearly exactly as they did for you in 7, and eventually I got to the “Printer Installed” screen, where it asked if I wanted to run a test page.

Of course, nothing printed.

So this procedure did install the printer in Vista, to the extent that drivers were loaded and Vista now had a new printer under its wing and a port dedicated to it.

But Vista didn’t / couldn’t know that downstream from it the router had no idea that it was also supposed to play a role in this. The router still simply has no idea there is a network device of some sort plugged into its Ethernet Port #3.

I also tried selecting Standard TCP/IP Port on Wizard Step 1, but that asks for the local ip address of the device. Of course, that address doesn’t exist because the little DHCP man in the router never assigned one, since he didn’t know there was a device there waiting for one.

So I am resigned to the fact that as much as I like the rest of this big Arris Gateway, I can’t use it as a router if I want it to feed my network printer.

And I am sure not going to pay $7 a month rental fee for the whole thing just to have it bridged for use as a cable modem, when I can buy and own a Moto 6121 for a year’s rental fee and use any of the gigabit routers I already have.

Thanks again, Norman, for your assistance.

Hi Gar –

I agree that it is not Comcast’s job to set up my LAN and that is not what I was asking them to do. In fact, my LAN was already set up, has been for years, and has worked flawlessly with the old Comcast supplied equipment.

I was asking them how to use the new Comcast equipment I am leasing from them on that exact same previously flawless network. More specifically, how to make that new equipment do what it is designed to do.

One would think that simply swapping out one modem/router for another (whether as a one or two piece unit) on a proven, working Ethernet LAN comprised of two computers and a printer should be a simple “unplug from old / plug into new” operation (as well as some simple provisioning.)

In fact, one of the support people said it really was that simple, but I would have to pay to find out how to make the router see the printer.

So, to be clear, what irks me was their attitude about this (not to mention how much other stuff they got wrong in the course of discussing this.)

As to the benefits of a “gateway” vs separate components, there are good arguments and sufficient anecdotal evidence to support both sides. To me, as technology improves, I am split on the issue (no pun intended.)

I might go with a Moto 6121 and a Netgear router, or possibly a Moto 6580 All-In One for $130.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Later…

Russ . . .

saratoga66
join:2002-08-22
Saratoga, CA

saratoga66

said by rustyjeep:

I might go with a Moto 6121 and a Netgear router, or possibly a Moto 6580 All-In One for $130.

Go with the 6120 and a separate router. If you get the 6580 you will most likely be back here with more issues.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS to rustyjeep

MVM

to rustyjeep
said by rustyjeep:

Hi Norman –

Thanks for your effort. I sincerely appreciate it.

Although the HP 6310 is natively an Ethernet printer, I did follow your steps exactly.

All the steps, although run in Vista, performed nearly exactly as they did for you in 7, and eventually I got to the “Printer Installed” screen, where it asked if I wanted to run a test page.

Of course, nothing printed.

First time I tried with the LaserJet I got a print test fail. Then I found out I needed to change the protocol from "RAW" to "LPR", and give a name to the LPR protocol. The netgear router manual (using a Netgear FR-114P) suggested, "L1" for the protocol name. Also need to assign an IP address to the printer. Should try to make it static, if the RG allows it.