Premium
join:2005-03-01
Wormtown
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Charter

2 recommendations

[All] Thank you Veterans

A big thank you those who have served and sacrificed for all of us.

Dominokat
"Hi"
Premium
join:2002-08-06
Boothbay, ME
kudos:2
What he said ^^^^^

sashwa
Premium,Mod
join:2001-01-29
Alcatraz
kudos:18
What they said ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Thanks to our Vets !

capecoddah

join:2005-03-18
Yarmouth Port, MA
kudos:1
reply to vaxvms
Windy day. Replaced flag on POP's grave. Fixed some other flags for other Vets.

15th AAC, 451 BG (H)

Constituted as 451st Bombardment Group (Heavy) on 6 April 1943. Activated on 1 May 1943. Activated as a B-24 Liberator heavy bombardment unit; assigned to II Bomber Command for training. Primarily trained in the midwest. Received deployment orders for the Mediterranean Theater of Operations (MTO) in November 1943.

Deployed to Southern Italy in January 1944; entered combat in January 1944, being assigned to Fifteenth Air Force. Air echelon training in Algeria for several weeks before joining the remainder of the group in Italy. Engaged in very long range strategic bombing missions to enemy military, industrial and transportation targets in Italy, France, Germany, Austria, Hungary, Romania, and Yugoslavia. Attacked such targets as oil refineries, marshalling yards, aircraft factories, bridges, and airfields in Italy, France, Germany, Czechoslovakia, Austria, Hungary, Romania, Bulgaria, Albania, and Greece.

Received a Distinguished Unit Citation for each of three missions: to an aircraft factory at Regensburg on 25 February 1944, to oil refineries and marshalling yards at Ploesti on 5 April 1944, and to an airdrome at Vienna on 23 August 1944; although encountering large numbers of enemy fighters and severe antiaircraft fire during each of these missions, the group fought its way through the opposition, destroyed many interceptors, and inflicted serious damage on the assigned targets.

At times the group also flew support and interdictory missions. Helped to prepare the way for and participated in the invasion of Southern France in August 1944. Transported supplies to troops in Italy during September 1944. Supported the final advances of Allied armies in northern Italy in April 1945.

Returned to the US in June 1945, forming at Dow Field, Maine. Unit personnel were demobilized throughout the summer of 1945. Inactivated on 26 September 1945.

capecoddah

join:2005-03-18
Yarmouth Port, MA
kudos:1
reply to vaxvms
POP was a Radar Mechanic, Radio Man, and Bombardier.

One day when we were using pop-rivets to repair a downspout, he told me about using pop-rivets to repair planes and replacing crew members. "I've never told your mother or anyone else".

Down spouts didn't seen so important after hearing about replacing bits of bombers with still drying blood to Fly Again.

Not a Vet
Done "I'd tell you, then I'd have to kill you" work
I'd tell you.THEY would kill us both.

JRSlater
What's that smell? Oh, it's you.
Premium
join:2008-01-11
Out There

1 recommendation

reply to vaxvms
Your welcome and it was an honor to serve.

US Army Signal Corp, 1986-1994 Honorable Discharge

29F/29S Fixed Station/Field COMSEC Equipment Repairer

Served a vast majority of my time in the Republic of Panama.
--
»www.jrslaterphotography.com/