Premium Member
join:2006-03-17
Saint Augustine, FL

SmokChsr to GTFan

Premium Member

to GTFan

Re: Nationwide EAS Test 11/9 2:00 PM EST

said by GTFan:

And it won't, and it will never get used, but we'll waste lots of time and money on it anyway.

Lets hope the EAN Network NEVER gets used for the real thing! Somewhere way back in this thread, I mentioned its intended use, The USA is under attack, most likely with nuclear weapons.

Actually I was surprised by the test, it came much closer to working than I expected. Of course much of that was some last minute scrambling, to plug holes that should have been plugged back in 1997.

The cause of the main problem with this test (Bad Audio) has already been determined and hopefully corrected.

Other than national the system does work and works well in many parts of the country. In other parts not so good, but that's up to the locals to figure out and fix.

As far as the money, it's already been spent to develop the system.

If the USA was to ever be hit by a high burst EMP device, the PEP stations might be about all that are left on the air. Life will be totally different for many years.

Mike Wolf
join:2009-05-24
Tuckerton, NJ

2 edits

Mike Wolf

For those whom may not know, a Primary Entry Point (PEP) station is a radio or television broadcast station designated to provide public information following national and local emergencies where there is no commercial power. These stations have protected, government-funded circuits connecting them to emergency command centers. For example, WWL Radio in New Orleans was the only PEP station in the Gulf Coast after Hurricane Katrina and it provided radio broadcasts for two weeks after the storm until commercial power was restored.

»www.fema.gov/emergency/i ··· r.shtm#6
Mike Wolf

Mike Wolf

I've gotten in touch with someone from Comcast and they are going to attempt to get their systems more unified so there will be less false alarms and hopefully less invasive.
Expand your moderator at work