spc
Search similar:

uniqs

fire2721
@optonline.net

fire2721

Anon

Availability

So I live in The town of Brookhaven, NY, Holbrook to be exact. The Verizon website says I can get Fios Internet but not TV, why is that? I called and they didn't have an answer, and does that mean it's coming soon, how soon? I use to have fios until I moved, my wife and I hate Cablevision.

siersema
join:2005-06-16
Mansfield, TX

siersema

It has to do with your city not permitting it yet. I CA we had a situation where I had Internet and phone but could not get TV because Verizon had to provide equal access service to all households within the cable provisioned network. Two cities in our cable network were not in Verizon area and we could not get TV service until the state passed a law preventing that activity. I suspect that the city needs to negotiate an agreement with Verizon to permit TV service but the local cable company will object and find many reasons not to allow TV service. My suggestion is to reach out to your city council member (or similar individual) and find out what it takes. Sometimes it is just a concerned citizen speaking up about the issue to make changes.

PoloDude
Premium Member
join:2006-03-29
Aiken, SC

PoloDude to fire2721

Premium Member

to fire2721
You can't get FiOS because VZ does not have an LFA to sell the video service in Brookhaven. Next question. When? Not in the foreseeable future.

fire2721
@optonline.net

fire2721

Anon

ok, but I can get Fios Internet and I can't get the tv?

buckingham
Doylstown Pa
Premium Member
join:2005-07-17
Buckingham, PA

buckingham

Premium Member

Yes, they can make the Internet and phone service available on FiOS without making the TV available. That's actually how many areas started out and many still are. In this area, VZ choose to not even deploy Phone/Internet until they were able to negotiate a TV franchise with the township to their liking, delaying availability for a few years for my neighbors and I.
stoli412
join:2003-02-12
SK3 9JR

stoli412

It also depends on how things are wired. I live in Philadelphia, which has a TV franchise agreement with Verizon. But I also live in an apartment building that is currently able to get only FiOS internet and phone because we have fiber running only to the utility room on each floor and then VDSL running to each unit.

From what I've been able to gather, we won't be able to get TV until the building is upgraded again, possibly by installing ONTs in each utility room and hooking them into the existing coax for people who want TV service.

Who knows how long it's going to take before that happens...