how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

WeslyIsMore

@sunwave.com.br

1 edit

How to stop dogs from urinating on my door

Here is the situation - I live in a rural "neighborhood" on about 10 acres of contiguous land. There are several dog owners in a 3 sq mile area who let their dogs free roam. Some wear collars some do not. We also have a somewhat large population of wild dogs and coyotes as well.

The issue is that I continue to have these animals urinating on the front of my door. I clean it off and it shows up again in the next few days. What is really an issue is it seems once one dog urinates on the door it's an open invitation for every animal in a 5 sq mi area to come and urinate over the one before marking territory.

Now I understand this is part of life with territorial animals but my front door is off limits. The urine runs down to the sill and sometimes the door will "stick". Not to mention it's annoying as hell.

Before people say "shoot the dogs" I have, I've blasted probably 3 or 4 wild dogs and coyotes now but I don't want to start dropping peoples pets.

I've also tried blocking the paths the animals take but they re-route a new path eventually. Like I said I don't want to start dropping peoples pets but I will if I can't get it to stop.

Is there a spray I can use on the door? I know cats hate citrus but nothing I've tried is working with these dogs/coyotes. I am stumped@#$

Also no idea why my IP shows up as sunwave.com.br my IP is 66.**.***.** and there is no dns reverse I use a VPN on fdcservers I live in Henrico County in VA.
edited to remove IP addresss grob
-Wes

netboy34
Premium
join:2001-08-29
Kennesaw, GA
kudos:1

have you tried a no marking spray?

»www.petsmart.com/product/index.j···=3130863

dandelion
Premium,MVM
join:2003-04-29
Germantown, TN
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to WeslyIsMore

Just an idea, you may can find one cheaper, but it seems a more permanent solution then chemicals you would have to put out frequently particularly after a rain. This should be a deterrent no matter what animal. The closer to the door in question the better depending on how your house is situated and if you use that particular door a lot.

»www.havahart.com/store/animal-re···ray-away

emilf4
Premium
join:2000-06-14
Alpharetta, GA
reply to WeslyIsMore

Growing up Yellow Sulphur powder was used to keep cats/dogs away. Spread a little in the area and they are supposed to stay away. I haven't used it myself, but I used a 'green' sulphur based pesticide on some bushes with mites in our backyard, and it made our dogs freak completely out. They would raise their hackles and back away from the bushes.

»www.amazon.com/Yellow-Jacket-Pur···05H0WA2O

Or even cheaper in larger amounts.

Stevert

join:2001-10-23
Algonquin, IL
reply to WeslyIsMore

Do you have a steel-clad door, or a storm door? If you do, hook one of these to it

»www.farmandfleet.com/products/47···rgers%2f

Spork35

join:2011-07-13
Methuen, MA
reply to WeslyIsMore

The correct thing would be training for the dog but it's not yours. I'd grab some ghost pepper extract and drop some on the area. They'll never return.
--
"We are the Borg. You WILL be assimilated!" -ST:TNG

WeslyIsMore

@speakeasy.net

1 edit
reply to WeslyIsMore

Thanks everyone for the suggestions, so here are some of the issues with them.

1) Water sprinkler - Good idea thank you for that but it's nearing freezing and I need something that works in the Winter as well. This was a good idea so thank you.

2) Sulpher or powders - Problem is this is a high traffic area and anything sprinkled on the perimeter will be tracked inside on the carpet.

The door in question is my main front door so anything I use has to take that into account. For example, I can't water spray the UPS driver hah!

I've tried the odor removal things but not the exact one listed and they work for about a week then wham, more piss on the door. The only thing that has worked so far is literally dropping them with a 30 carbine. I don't want to drop peoples pets but I can't have my front door be a bathroom either.

I wish I could train these pets but they're not mine. Would a loud sound work? Something like a motion detector + loud sound that could be tuned for anything less than 45 lbs but greater than 5 lbs?

I have no idea what is up with the host names my IP is 74.**.***.*** on FDCServers which is my VPN I had to switch because the one I was on died. This IP 74.**.***.*** does not say speakeasy there is no DNS reverse on it. Is something broken on DSLReports? I'm not in Brazil and I'm not on Speakeasy. Weird stuff guys!

Thanks for all the suggestions as soon as I get home I will post a picture of the front door and you'll see the dilemma and the wonderful urine stains.

Edited to remove IP addresses - grob

-Wes

nonymous
Premium
join:2003-09-08
Glendale, AZ
reply to WeslyIsMore

Do you have a dog to which they are attracted?

The Pig
I know you want to be me
Premium
join:2009-09-11
reply to WeslyIsMore

You can try a cheap way (if it'll work or not is to be seen) Get a spray bottle and full it with bleach and spray the door and surrounding area with the bleach!
I'm sure dogs won't like smelling the bleach, if it doesn't work then your loss ($) is minimal!

sailor
Premium
join:2003-10-21
Long Island
kudos:6
reply to WeslyIsMore

put on your front door

scooper

join:2000-07-11
Youngsville, NC
kudos:2
reply to WeslyIsMore

electric fence on the perimeter of your front yard ?

ArgMeMatey

join:2001-08-09
Milwaukee, WI
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·AT&T Midwest
·Time Warner Cable
reply to WeslyIsMore

First, shame on your neighbors for putting you in this regrettable position. Second, they may not know the harm they are allowing.

As you may know, owners are liable for damage caused by their pets. If you wish, you may file claims against them. Find out what means you can legally use to "control access" to your property, i.e. shoot, trap, whatever.

Trap them, record their tag info, and take them to the pound or call to get them picked up, if service is available.
Get recordings of the dogs. Send bills to the owners.

The dogs are just doing what's instinctive. It's the owner's responsibility to train and restrain them. If owners cannot or will not fulfill their responsibilities to the community, kindly explain the problem to the owners, ask for their help in solving the problem, and advise the owners of their responsibilities. Finally, tell them what you will (reluctantly) do to protect your property.
--
USNG:
16TDN2870
Find your USNG coordinates:
USNGWeb

Spork35

Methuen, MA
reply to scooper

said by scooper:

electric fence on the perimeter of your front yard ?

I doubt he wants to spend hundreds of dollars on a poor solution.

Animal control is an option.

A sonic plug in device is another.
»www.safehomeproducts.com/shp2/sc···page=975

It sucks the dogs owners are douchbags though. I'd go the animal control method since it's free and might teach them a lesson.
--

emilf4
Premium
join:2000-06-14
Alpharetta, GA
reply to WeslyIsMore

said by WeslyIsMore :

2) Sulpher or powders - Problem is this is a high traffic area and anything sprinkled on the perimeter will be tracked inside on the carpet.

You don't have to put it exactly on the area. A bit in the dirt/grass on each side of the walkway as close as possible to the door should be enough to act as a barrier, and you don't have to put a lot of it down. Judging by our dogs, they don't even want to get close to it.

herdfan
Premium
join:2003-01-25
Hurricane, WV
reply to WeslyIsMore

Get an airsoft gun. Shoots plastic BB's. A deterrent, but not lethal to pets. Paint ball gun works as well.

Mr Matt

join:2008-01-29
Eustis, FL
Reviews:
·Millenicom
·Embarq Now Centu..
·Comcast
·CenturyLink
reply to WeslyIsMore

This will work and is a lot lower in cost than Stevert's solution.

»www.tractorsupply.com/fencing/el···-3680003

Add a metal kick plate and a conductive rug. Plug it in it will work. If your door is non metallic you can use the hinge as the path for one conductor to the kick plate and a simple wire as the other conductor to the ground terminal of the charger. Dog will alert you when they have been charged, by a loud yelp.

Edit: If you do not want to light the dog up try this:

»www.tractorsupply.com/pet-care/d···-2421278

Spork35

Methuen, MA
reply to WeslyIsMore

I wouldn't advocate doing anything physical to the animals. If your going to go that far just call Animal Control and let them handle it. If you take stuff into your own hands you are now liable.
--

smokerings

join:2001-02-25
Kitchener, ON
reply to WeslyIsMore

I would dress up as a bear, hide in the bushes until one comes along and jump out yelling and blasting an airhorn.

You might have to clean up a pile of dog shit on your porch but at least it won't have pissed on your door!

beck
Premium,MVM
join:2002-01-29
On The Road
reply to WeslyIsMore

Paint ball. Yeah, shoot them in the side. I'm not into hurting animals, but peeing on your front door is a bit over the top. Owners might start keeping the dogs home if they come home with paint all over them.

OZZY7
Born Again Atheist
Premium
join:2011-06-11
reply to WeslyIsMore

Contact the ACO in your area. I wouldn't even warn the neighbors, as they must know full well their animals are running at large. »www.co.henrico.va.us/faqs/living···als.html
--
You Can't Kill Rock 'n' Roll!

Expand your moderator at work

nunya
Premium,MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO
kudos:12
Reviews:
·Charter
·voip.ms
·surpasshosting

1 edit
reply to WeslyIsMore

Re: How to stop dogs from urinating on my door

I don't want to drop peoples pets but I can't have my front door be a bathroom either.

Once they are on your property, they are no longer pets, but PESTs.
I've found that people who let their dogs run in the country generally do it because they don't give a shit about the animal any way. Running dogs often revert to pack life. Lately, I've seen "coyote" packs that are 80% dog and coydog because people are stupid. They are just making bigger coyotes. Bigger coydogs are hungrier and more destructive.

Quite frankly, they are harder to spot too. The "recruits" aren't too afraid of people (because they were "pets" at one time) and will take the pack way too close to human civilization.
--
I just might be the most "licensed" S.O.B. you know.

grobinette
Southeast of disorder
Premium,Mod
join:2001-01-27
Springfield, VA
reply to sailor

said by sailor:

put on your front door

I don't think the dogs can read sailor See Profile.

MaynardKrebs
Heave Steve, for the good of the country
Premium
join:2009-06-17
kudos:4
reply to WeslyIsMore

said by WeslyIsMore :

The issue is that I continue to have these animals urinating on the front of my door. I clean it off and it shows up again in the next few days. What is really an issue is it seems once one dog urinates on the door it's an open invitation for every animal in a 5 sq mi area to come and urinate over the one before marking territory.

Now I understand this is part of life with territorial animals but my front door is off limits. The urine runs down to the sill and sometimes the door will "stick". Not to mention it's annoying as hell.

Turn-about is fair play.......go piss on their doors.

sailor
Premium
join:2003-10-21
Long Island
kudos:6

2 recommendations

reply to grobinette

said by grobinette:

said by sailor:

put on your front door

I don't think the dogs can read sailor See Profile.

Some can...heck, mine even drives

gruntsat

@telus.net
reply to WeslyIsMore

If yall feel like doing some rewiring on a professional unit. Wire in a motion sensor to the unit(google for information) and the sharp noise hopefully should make the dog go away.

quote:
Bark-Stop: It is for indoors or outdoors training. When a dog barks within 25 feet of this device it will respond by blasting the offending dog with an ultrasonic blast of 120 dB.
The other method is to wire up a 'water based/edible safe' paint gun(tight stream and easily washable off) to fire(you trigger to avoid hitting the girl scouts cookie brigade) when you see a rogue dog in it's target area. People do get annoyed when their loose dog comes home with racing stripes.

tp0d
yabbazooie
Premium
join:2001-02-13
Carnegie, PA
kudos:5

Moth balls. hide some in the pathways where they come up, and hide some around your front door. problem solved. And you wont have a moth problem anymore as a bonus!

-j
--
if it aint broke, tweak it!!
currently on FiOS (kick aZZ!)

macsierra8
Baby Newfoundland
Premium
join:2003-11-30
Minden, NV
reply to WeslyIsMore

Just spray a solution mix of ½ water & ammonia around the door. Works every time..

Expand your moderator at work

Spork35

Methuen, MA
reply to macsierra8

Re: How to stop dogs from urinating on my door

said by macsierra8:

Just spray a solution mix of ½ water & ammonia around the door. Works every time..

Then you get the area cats to piss on the spot since the ammonia denotes it's a cat piss spot. I think most people will pass on this.
--