how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

BiggA

join:2005-11-23
EARTH

Unlimited

This unlimited business is much of the problem. Why is Verizon allowing people to sign up again on unlimited plans on EVDO? As soon as the contract runs out, they should be switched to a current plan, or at the least, when they upgrade hardware.

Also, why are they selling so many mediocre EVDO-only DROIDs? They can't get an LTE iPhone right now, but they sure as heck have LTE DROIDs up the wazoo. They should be phasing out the EVDO-only DROIDs and Android phones, and they should not promote the iPhone at all, only their LTE-based DROIDs.

Effectively, they're only looking at a small part of the problem here.

MovieLover76

join:2009-09-11
kudos:1

As far as upgrades go, It's called a grandfathered plan, every major carrier supports it and the grandfathered plans on Verizon allow you to upgrade to an LTE phone and keep unlimited, so it's really not part of the problem.

I think the only reason they sell 3G droids still is because the LTE network isn't completed and 4G phones tend to eat battery, even when LTE is turned off I get worse battery life on my LTE phone than with an old 3G phone, so many users don't want an LTE phone, especially when they can't benefit from the faster speeds, they just get a faster dying battery

When Verizon's LTE network is closer to completion and LTE radios improve I think you

BiggA

EARTH

Part of my point is that none of the carriers should be allowing grandfathering. Verizon plays hardball with the contracts, the terms, locking down the phones, everything, except for grandfathering where they are soft. They have the network, why not use their power for something useful, like getting rid of grandfathered plans? I say this as I use a grandfathered FT plan on AT&T, the concept that they haven't kicked us off of it yet is ridiculous. We're just keeping it as a joke at this point, we don't need the minutes, but it's still just ridiculous that they aren't cleaning them out.

At least AT&T incentivized people to switch to 2GB, as it's cheaper, and they also made it an improvement for people like me, I got a better plan when I got a smartphone, whereas people on Verizon got a worse plan, they should follow suit and drop the price to $25 for 2GB.

MovieLover76

join:2009-09-11
kudos:1

Personally I love grandfathered plans, from a consumers point of view why shouldn't they continue to honor the deal they originally gave me when I signed up? I want them to stick around as I am a fairly heavy data user 3 - 6 gb a month and on tiered plans I'd pay a lot more, my cell phone bill is already $100 a month for one line, smart phones are already very expensive, so I don't support anything that makes it easier for the cell phone companies to raise prices.

I'm not crazy though I've seen on forums where users use LTE as their main connection and go through 80gb in the month and something should probably be done about use. I do believe that is abusive use, they should throttle connections after that an extreme point, like 20gb on unlimited LTE plans.

I'm still within the limits of plans they offer and support, I just get it cheaper because I'm grandfathered and I think grandfathered plans are a great way to reward customer loyalty and to keep churn low.

Say what you will about grandfathered plans, but it's an accepted part of the cellular industry in the U.S. and I think you'd see some pretty bad backlash if a carrier decided to kill grandfathered plans.

BiggA

EARTH

Wireless is just about the only business where you get grandfathered plans. Do you get the same cable plan you got 10 years ago? The same electric rate?

The fact of the matter is that they are obligated to give you what you signed up for through the end of your contract, and no longer. They should definitely require everything on the account to be up to date when upgrading a device. It's only fair that everyone pays their fair share, and people on old plans don't get a free ride.

Verizon of all carriers has the power and clout to eliminate grandfathered plans. Basically, after 24 months of that plan being eliminated, there would be no one left on it.

Maybe a better strategy looking for the next few years would be move move everyone onto a plan that reflects the greater spectral efficiency of 4G LTE and make it, say, 5GB of LTE and 2GB of EVDO or something to encourage people who are extreme data users to move to LTE. I wish they would use pricing to encourage more reasonable usage. A $20 1GB plan would be great, and 99% of users don't want or need more than that, and most of the users who currently use more would rather save the $10 and lower their usage.

biochemistry
Premium
join:2003-05-09

You have some real people skills problems. Verizon makes one pro consumer action and you lamblast them for it? A lot of us live where we can't get landline based internet such as comcast like your spoiled rear does. For us, unlimited wireless is a godsend.

BiggA

EARTH

I don't think that unlimited is pro-consumer as it encourages network congestion.

I think that for areas that they can serve wirelessly that don't have DSL or the ability to build out the cable plant, they should make specific plans for, that offer 50-100GB/mo for a reasonable price, but locked down to a few specific rural towers, so that those plans and devices can't find their way into Manhattan or something where congestion is a big issue.

It's a tough issue for people who have lived there a long time. If you moved there recently, then it would be your fault for not picking somewhere with land-based connectivity.

That, and I don't think my rear is too spoiled, having an old Comcast system that gets upgraded 5 years behind most of the rest of the company, and no valid option for DSL (they can only provision us at 1500kbps because we're at 11 kilofeet).

biochemistry
Premium
join:2003-05-09

Guess what? People move where there are jobs and believe it or not there are jobs outside the big cities. And also believe it or not, you don't have to live in a city of 3 people to live in a city without landline broadband. Even newer middle class subdivisions in average sized towns get stuck without landline broadband. Congestion is easily satisfied by building more capacity. Verizon and AT&T aren't hurting for profits.

BiggA

EARTH

There is only so much spectrum. Then those residents need to get together and do something about it, whether building a WiSP, or going to the local government to get cable through franchising agreements, etc.

The local governments need to be smart, when granting the franchises. Heck, there are two islands in New Hampshire that are inhabited for a few months a year that are getting a cable system, complete with submarine fiber to feed it, because the towns were smart and said that if 10 customers per cable mile want any cable service for a year, the cable provider is required to build or they can kiss their lucrative franchise bye bye. Result: one island got cable, complete with a fiber crossing that was surveyed by the US Army Corps of Engineers and several miles of cable. The other one will soon if there are 10 customers to sign up. In CT, AFAIK, if a cable provider wants a franchise agreement, they either get 100% of a town or 0% of a town, there is no half-assing it and not building out to everyone. I'm pretty sure we have 100% cable availability across the state.