how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

slcpd6469

join:2003-09-25
Saint Louis, MO

Charter Fiber

Does anyone here have experience with Charter Business fiber? My company is looking at switching from a bonded 4.5Mb T1 setup to a 50Mbps fiber line from Charter. Some people here are nervous about it since it's Charter. My thoughts are is its 10x the speed for about $500 less a month which equals no a brainer. I'm just looking for some real world reviews other than what I heard from the sales rep.

ArkiMage

join:2001-06-30
Kingsport, TN
Live with them for about ~1 month and no problems so far. The fiber they pulled in was pretty much identical to what our previous provider used (incumbent telco). Both installed Cisco 3400 switches as their CPE as well.

Charter's network appears to be very well connected. We BGP advertise our own subnet and about 85% of our routes prefer Charter's network.

Don't fear because it's a cablemodem company and your home internet connection and Cable TV are sometimes spotty. Business fiber is going to have a much higher SLA. Taking the copper and RF out of the equation equates to lots more stability than those people might have seen previously at home as well.

The actual wire pulling installers indicated that they have been very busy for quite a while. Charter is being very aggressive with their fiber pricing it would appear. We're so far quite pleased with them. Our telco salesperson definitely is not though...

Killa200
Premium
join:2005-12-02
Southeast TN
reply to slcpd6469
We have been on them for about a year now. Some odd routing here and there for our area ring, but the service is very stable and they are good at advanced warnings with any planned outages, with good stay in window times.

cooldude9919

join:2000-05-29
kudos:5
reply to slcpd6469
said by slcpd6469:

Does anyone here have experience with Charter Business fiber? My company is looking at switching from a bonded 4.5Mb T1 setup to a 50Mbps fiber line from Charter. Some people here are nervous about it since it's Charter. My thoughts are is its 10x the speed for about $500 less a month which equals no a brainer. I'm just looking for some real world reviews other than what I heard from the sales rep.

Wow how much where you paying for those t1's for 50mbps to be $500 less?

Anyway overall they are pretty good, but obviously dont really compare to at&t or anything like that. We have probably around ~10 sites in st.louis with fiber from them and overall it works well, though we had plenty of issues during turnup with stupid configuration and typo's on their part causing us some problems.

Their NOC support is also pretty good which you can call directly as a fiber customer.

slcpd6469

join:2003-09-25
Saint Louis, MO
Well we pulled the trigger today. Charter fiber should be in sometime in the next 90 days. I'll know more next week. Currently we have a bonded 4.5mbps line for all traffic except mail which goes over its own T1. All four of those circuits are $1600. Charter came in at $1110 which they say is normally reserved for someone also ordering a PRI. I believe they said 50mbps with a 5year contract is about $1500. Even without the promotion we would save money and increase our speed 10 fold. The best our current provider could do was switch us to MetroE for about $200/mbps.