Linksys EA6900

2 edits

DocDrew to Nightfall

Premium Member

to Nightfall

Re: It already hurt them

said by Nightfall:

No centralized way to push out apps.
No centralized way to manage phone settings.

Sorry, but what the Iphone has is great capabilities, but no real way to centrally manage them. Same goes for the Android. As soon as they figure it out is when RIM goes the way of the Dodo.

Try this link:
»www.apple.com/iphone/bus ··· ion/mdm/

Companies can make there own App store:
»developer.apple.com/prog ··· erprise/

Then there's the Dell KACE plugin:
»www.kace.com/about/relea ··· 5_08.php

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
MVM
join:2001-08-03
Grand Rapids, MI

Nightfall

MVM

said by DocDrew:

said by Nightfall:

No centralized way to push out apps.
No centralized way to manage phone settings.

Sorry, but what the Iphone has is great capabilities, but no real way to centrally manage them. Same goes for the Android. As soon as they figure it out is when RIM goes the way of the Dodo.

Try this link:
»www.apple.com/iphone/bus ··· ion/mdm/

Companies can make there own App store:
»developer.apple.com/prog ··· erprise/

Then there's the Dell KACE plugin:
»www.kace.com/about/relea ··· 5_08.php

I will dive into this a little bit. We are going to be making a big push to Iphones next year I think.

MRCURAnon
@airband.net

MRCURAnon

Anon

"Sorry, but what the Iphone has is great capabilities, but no real way to centrally manage them."

You should really be careful before you make statements that come across as "Excuse me, how dare you try to say something that goes against my current knowledge" when you don't really know.

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
MVM
Grand Rapids, MI

Nightfall

MVM

said by MRCURAnon :

"Sorry, but what the Iphone has is great capabilities, but no real way to centrally manage them."

You should really be careful before you make statements that come across as "Excuse me, how dare you try to say something that goes against my current knowledge" when you don't really know.

If I meant that, I would have said it. Nice try though.

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC

Guspaz

MVM

Well, you did make a bunch of matter-of-fact posts saying the iPhone didn't have enterprise management, or a centralized way to push out apps, or a centralized way to manage phones, and in reality you can do all of those things...

Basically your business maintains an MDM (Mobile Device Management) server, which communicate's with Apple's push notification service, which pushes the configurations down to the handsets. This PDF has more information:

»images.apple.com/iphone/ ··· _MDM.pdf

In addition to the basic remote wipe and lock, you can also push configuration profiles which can restrict or remove certain functionality (say you don't want people using the camera or the web browser or something, or you want to prevent the user from installing apps), you can install apps, remove apps, list installed apps (maybe make sure the user is abiding by soft policies), etc.

I don't know anything about RIM's enterprise management solution, but I don't really see anything missing here that RIM might do that Apple's solution doesn't.

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
MVM
Grand Rapids, MI

Nightfall

MVM

said by Guspaz:

Well, you did make a bunch of matter-of-fact posts saying the iPhone didn't have enterprise management, or a centralized way to push out apps, or a centralized way to manage phones, and in reality you can do all of those things...

Basically your business maintains an MDM (Mobile Device Management) server, which communicate's with Apple's push notification service, which pushes the configurations down to the handsets. This PDF has more information:

»images.apple.com/iphone/ ··· _MDM.pdf

In addition to the basic remote wipe and lock, you can also push configuration profiles which can restrict or remove certain functionality (say you don't want people using the camera or the web browser or something, or you want to prevent the user from installing apps), you can install apps, remove apps, list installed apps (maybe make sure the user is abiding by soft policies), etc.

I don't know anything about RIM's enterprise management solution, but I don't really see anything missing here that RIM might do that Apple's solution doesn't.

Obviously people here had the wrong impression then. I was saying the whole time, "To my knowledge...." and I was constantly asking for more info. I have since gotten the information that I need. Thanks for this information. I will have to look into this as a viable option. Nothing really for the android side I am assuming?

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC

Guspaz

MVM

For android there are third party tools. Some of those tools also work with iPhones, allowing simpler management if you have to handle multiple types of devices. But beyond that I don't know anything about it. I don't really know anything about Apple's management solutions either, only that they exist and what they do.

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
MVM
Grand Rapids, MI

Nightfall

MVM

said by Guspaz:

For android there are third party tools. Some of those tools also work with iPhones, allowing simpler management if you have to handle multiple types of devices. But beyond that I don't know anything about it. I don't really know anything about Apple's management solutions either, only that they exist and what they do.

Certainly would be nice to find some first hand reviews. There are a couple out there when I do a google search, but they are not very detailed.
« they're sleeping
This is a sub-selection from It already hurt them