« they're sleeping
This is a sub-selection from It already hurt them

Eagles1221
join:2009-04-29
Vincentown, NJ

Eagles1221 to niveous

to niveous

Re: It already hurt them

AS puts 7-12 times the load on a server as a BES or BESX connection does. Also the BES and even BIS compresses the datastream to conserve bandwidth. TBH though its MUCH slower in general to be on BES since your go phone => provider => backhaul to RIM => ISP backhaul => Exchange datacenter

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC

Guspaz

MVM

Well, of course ActiveSync is going to be more intensive, it has to communicate with every individual device, while BES is just going to communicate server-to-server no matter how many devices are involved...

The point isn't the resource usage, the point is the lack of control. Companies don't like it when one of their crucial internal services are down and they can't do anything about it. At least if your Exchange server is down you can get internal people to fix it. When RIM's services go down, you're screwed.
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

Kearnstd

Premium Member

said by Guspaz:

Well, of course ActiveSync is going to be more intensive, it has to communicate with every individual device, while BES is just going to communicate server-to-server no matter how many devices are involved...

The point isn't the resource usage, the point is the lack of control. Companies don't like it when one of their crucial internal services are down and they can't do anything about it. At least if your Exchange server is down you can get internal people to fix it. When RIM's services go down, you're screwed.

And this is the big problem for RIM, the other two competing smart phones are gaining more and more processes/apps to allow BB class control over the device for an employer but without the middle man of the RIM network on top of the possible issues of the actual data/voice carrier network.

id imagine once the Droid/iOS stuff fully matures that RIM will go tits up because I know if I could get the same class of management from a setup where my only point of third party failure was VZN or AT&T or Sprint I would feel a lot better knowing my network team is managing the data servers in our data centers.
« they're sleeping
This is a sub-selection from It already hurt them