Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Six Gun Kid
Premium
join:2001-07-02
Huntsville, AL

Edge Speeds in South Huntsville AL

I just recently added Knology and ordered the "Bundle Package" with TV, phone and internet. My package came with the Edge (Speeds up to 25 mbps) but I am rarely getting above 12-13. Anyone else experiencing this problem in the area?
--
"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." -- Thomas Jefferson

Lark3po
Premium
join:2003-08-05
Madison, AL
Reviews:
·Knology

said by Six Gun Kid:

I just recently added Knology and ordered the "Bundle Package" with TV, phone and internet. My package came with the Edge (Speeds up to 25 mbps) but I am rarely getting above 12-13. Anyone else experiencing this problem in the area?

According to the Knology website the Edge = 12/2 and Edge Plus = 25/5.

»www.knology.com/page/internet

goober22
Resident Duh-Huh Member

join:2001-12-28
Panama City, FL
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Knology
reply to Six Gun Kid

According to a PR dated 02/02/2010, Huntsville is running Docsis3 so they should be 25/5 on edge.

quote:
Knology Internet will deliver top speeds with DOCSIS 3.0:

Residential Knology Internet
12 megabit download
2 megabit upload

Residential Knology Edge™
25 megabit download
5 megabit upload
»www.knology.com/media/pr2.cfm?id=81

So he should be 25/5 IF he does have Edge. I believe the promo for new customers is a free upgrade to Edge for a year. Maybe call & make sure they activated the upgrade. Try power cycling the modem. Which modem do you have BTW?
--
Certified Jenius!

Rollins

join:2011-02-26
Huntsville, AL

The promo is Edge upgrade free for 6 months. Make sure you have a DOCSIS 3.0 modem. I use the SB6120 modem and I consistently get 25Mbps or greater downloads and ~7Mbps upload at my location. I am in NW Huntsville though.

Six Gun Kid
Premium
Huntsville, AL
reply to goober22

said by goober22:

According to a PR dated 02/02/2010, Huntsville is running Docsis3 so they should be 25/5 on edge.

Which modem do you have BTW?

I am using the Motorola SBG900 Wireless. I take it this modem is not rated for the Docsis3?
--
"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." -- Thomas Jefferson

goober22
Resident Duh-Huh Member

join:2001-12-28
Panama City, FL
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Knology

1 edit

The motorola spec guide says it's a Docsis 2.0 model. Some websites say it's a 1.0/1.1.

I had a SB5100 and when D3 rolled out here I got about 9-11MB down on the 12/2 plan. I picked up the SB6120 D3 model and now hit 11-16MB reliably depending on time of day on the 12/2.

I'm not so up on the docsis specs, maybe someone else will chime in, but I'd say you need to get a newer D3 modem as that is probably the issue. Although I've heard that a 2.0 should be able to get up to 25MB speeds, but maybe it would need a new config file (which I would guess they would not do for a 2.0 modem).
--
Certified Jenius!

Six Gun Kid
Premium
Huntsville, AL
reply to Six Gun Kid

Contacted Knology and after running a line test, determined the problem is my connection/lines not the modem as they said they had many clients using the same modem and it is compatible with the Docsis 3. Also I am suppose to be receiving the 25/5 service. Tech is scheduled for next week.

Rollins

join:2011-02-26
Huntsville, AL

That is a DOCSIS 2.0 modem. You need to get a DOCSIS 3.0 modem to support channel bonding. The SBG6580 is the DOCSIS 3.0 replacement to the modem you currently own. However, I would recommend getting a separate modem and wireless router instead of getting a combined unit. That way as wireless technology continues to advance, you can upgrade routers without having to upgrade both units.

Six Gun Kid
Premium
Huntsville, AL

said by Rollins:

That is a DOCSIS 2.0 modem. You need to get a DOCSIS 3.0 modem to support channel bonding.

Thanks for the info. Service call is scheduled for this afternoon, I will let them replace the Modem with their own equipment and will look into the other options at a later date.
--

Six Gun Kid
Premium
Huntsville, AL
reply to Six Gun Kid

All is well with the right equipment.....:)

Lark3po
Premium
join:2003-08-05
Madison, AL

Congrats!