spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

ElderGoose

@rr.com

[Internet] Lighting and Online Gaming

I got RR lighting about 4 months ago, still using the Ubee router that the dude gave to me when it was installed.

I had some latency/lag problems from the start and after calling customer service a couple times this is what I'm left with.

Number one is to use an ethernet cable instead of playing wireless. Tried this and was still experiencing problems. They said my cable was too long (I think its 10 ft or so) and that I'd be better off going back wireless.

So after a couple weeks I called again, guy suggested I look into buying a gaming router and having them put my modem into bridge mode. After some research and finding out that the best rated gaming routers are upwards of $150, I'm wondering if it's really going to be worth it.

Being able to have as little lag as possible is very important to me, however I don't want to spend the money if there isn't going to be a noticeable difference.

Any got any experience or opinions on this?

ElderGoose

join:2011-11-15
Pinellas Park, FL

Registered

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
join:2006-02-16
Saint Petersburg, FL
kudos:139
reply to ElderGoose

Hey goose...

Dedicated and specialized routers DO make a difference especially with gaming and for those that have busy networks. As for the cable being too long...please toss that out the window...bad advice.

That said which router were you looking at?
--
~All truth goes through three phases. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as self-evident. - Einstein~

ElderGoose

Pinellas Park, FL

Haha okay good to know about the wire situation

I would really like to get my hands on the D link DGL-4100 but it seems like the wireless version (DGL-4500) is easier to come by

I like the gamefuel idea of being able to prioritize what data goes where, I was skeptical that something like that would make a difference though because, the only thing I have connected to the internet is the xbox

weaseled386

join:2008-04-13
Edgewater, FL
reply to ElderGoose

What are you playing, and can you post a tracert to your gaming server? The first thing we should determine, before a single dime is spent, is if the problem is on the BHN network or someone elses.

ElderGoose

Pinellas Park, FL

I'm playing GoW3 so you probably already know how crucial a good connection can be.

Unfortunately I have no idea what a tracert is

weaseled386

Edgewater, FL
Reviews:
·Bright House
·AT&T U-Verse
reply to ElderGoose

said by ElderGoose:

I would really like to get my hands on the D link DGL-4100 but it seems like the wireless version (DGL-4500) is easier to come by

I like the gamefuel idea of being able to prioritize what data goes where, I was skeptical that something like that would make a difference though because, the only thing I have connected to the internet is the xbox

I can tell you right now that the DGL-4500 is a good router. I've been using it for 1.5-2 years, and I've had zero issues with it. I do not use its wireless feature (I have a Cisco Aironet), and I keep Gamefuel off.

Latency to Blizzard's Chicago Warcraft server farm (from FL) was under 100ms. "World" latency, as Bliz calls it, was about 140ms.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to ElderGoose

said by ElderGoose:

I'm playing GoW3 so you probably already know how crucial a good connection can be.

Unfortunately I have no idea what a tracert is

How are you measuring the lag/latency?
--
~All truth goes through three phases. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as self-evident. - Einstein~

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to weaseled386

said by weaseled386:

said by ElderGoose:

I can tell you right now that the DGL-4500 is a good router. I've been using it for 1.5-2 years, and I've had zero issues with it. I do not use its wireless feature (I have a Cisco Aironet), and I keep Gamefuel off.

Latency to Blizzard's Chicago Warcraft server farm (from FL) was under 100ms. "World" latency, as Bliz calls it, was about 140ms.

The DGL-4500 is only good now if you maintain .15 or below firmware on it which means you will need to downgrade it once get it home. There are cheaper solutions with better performance now... the DGL-4500 while good is almost EOL material.
--

ElderGoose

Pinellas Park, FL
reply to BHNtechXpert

I have run a latency test on pingtest.net (not sure how reliable that place is) and got 70ms 4 jitter and 0% packet loss

EDIT: I tried the same test from a different server and got 41ms with 9 jitter and 0 packet loss so...

I'm going more off of how the actual gameplay is going. I understand it could be an issue with the games dedicated servers (or lack thereof) but if getting a router would make even a small difference I'd be willing to drop the money for it

weaseled386

Edgewater, FL
Reviews:
·Bright House
·AT&T U-Verse
reply to BHNtechXpert

My experience says otherwise. I've been running 1.23 for quite some time. Maybe the fact that I'm not using the DGL4500 for wireless makes the difference. I'm very critical of my connection, and I haven't noticed any slow downs or hangups. I cannot remember the last time I had to reset it. Then again Florida's thunderstorms reset it no less than monthly for me

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL

1 edit

lol YEP that would explain it...because all post .15 firmware hosed the wireless performance (and a bunch of other things but mainly wireless). I have two of those routers that now serve as nothing but wireless bridges My Asus reigns king over the router pool.
--

ElderGoose

Pinellas Park, FL

Sooo in other words, this would be a good investment for me then?

weaseled386

Edgewater, FL
Reviews:
·Bright House
·AT&T U-Verse
reply to ElderGoose

said by ElderGoose:

I have run a latency test on pingtest.net (not sure how reliable that place is) and got 70ms 4 jitter and 0% packet loss

EDIT: I tried the same test from a different server and got 41ms with 9 jitter and 0 packet loss so...

I'm going more off of how the actual gameplay is going. I understand it could be an issue with the games dedicated servers (or lack thereof) but if getting a router would make even a small difference I'd be willing to drop the money for it

If that test is good, and those numbers are in fact true, you're honestly not going to get much better. From Daytona Beach, FL to Atlanta, GA (using ATT) I get 66ms, 2ms jitter (whatever that is) and 0% loss. Keep in mind, that is a major route for ATT, 4ms wouldn't benefit you in any way.

I prefer to have full control over my network. I wouldn't last but minutes using BHN's (or ATT's) modem/router/wireless combo units. I prefer to use my own so I can set static IP's to every device, limit what happens with my internet, etc. The DGL-4500 is OLD. I believe BHNtechXpert will suggest an Asus router? I remember an old thread where they were going thru different routers, and testing certain firmware updates/junkdates. (From what I remember 1.23 with the DGL-4500 was horrible in most cases.)

EDIT: I knew it! Asus

ElderGoose

Pinellas Park, FL

I'll check back later, thanks for responding both of you

weaseled386

Edgewater, FL
Reviews:
·Bright House
·AT&T U-Verse
reply to ElderGoose

said by ElderGoose:

Sooo in other words, this would be a good investment for me then?

If you have the money to spend, my opinion is YES; this would be a decent investment for you. However, do not expect much difference. The issue is still going to persist. The issue is most-likely going to be overloaded/saturated game servers. Once the "newness" wears off, and/or they deploy additional equipment, you should be fine.

Back to my example of World of Warcraft. After a new expansion or patch my very low latency jumps to 2k+. The server population doubles, if not triples, in times like this.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to ElderGoose

I agree with Weasle however I would lean towards the Asus RTN56U over the DGL-4500.

You can get off Amazon for $129.95 and it's a beast!!! Tiny, sexy lookin but powerful beast.

weaseled386

Edgewater, FL
Reviews:
·Bright House
·AT&T U-Verse

said by BHNtechXpert:

I agree with Weasle however I would lean towards the Asus RTN56U over the DGL-4500.

You can get off Amazon for $129.95 and it's a beast!!! Tiny, sexy lookin but powerful beast.

I've been waiting for my DLink to hiccup, just once, to replace it. It has worked perfectly in my situation, but I'm a nerd in every aspect... I thrive on new shiney devices I can tinker with!!!

Now there is one thing I'd like to point out, and it is a mistake made by many, MANY people. In the standard home, with standard internet usage, Lightning isn't going to improve your gaming experience. Lightning makes your "pipe" larger, but it isn't going to make the light travel faster. Imgine bonding two Lightning lines together. Would you imagine your pipe is now 80/10? The answer is no. You'll still transfer at 40/5M & latency will remain the same as one line. You'd only gain the ability to have several people online, at the same time, chewing away at the connection! The same holds true for Basic (10/1) or Turbo (20/2).

(Assuming all upstream equipment is healthy) Lag is the effect of line saturation (upload or download), and if your home has multiple people online at the same time you could easily hit 100% capacity. Every service has it's purpose, and Lightning serves its fan base amazingly well. Instances where Lightning shines above the others:

1) You're exceeding Turbo's 2M upload.
2) Little bro and/or sis slams the News Groups like no ones business!
3) Mom or Dad is constantly sending video clips to friends, family and everyone else they can find.

Additionally, even with an aftermarket router you're still limited by the weakest piece of equipment. I haven't found info on how many sessions the Moto (the BHN provides with Lightning) can handle, but I know the 2-Wire ATT forces me to use is a major limiting factor for the heaviest users. With ATT bridging is NOT an option for their VDSL customers, and I'm not sure about IP-DSLAM or FTTP servies.

There are many more, but I just wanted to put the info & idea out there. Take it with a grain of salt, and always get what you can afford and/or makes you feel warm & fuzzy inside

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to ElderGoose

You are correct in all counts including the AT&T part. AT&T requires that you use their router as primary and if you must use another device it will either be in a double NAT environment (never a good choice) or with most of secondary router features disabled.

james78

join:2012-02-09

So BHNtechXpert what your saying is that road runner lighting alone is not enough to make my gaming experience good I need a fast router? I thought a router would slow the speed of my internet service since I'm already using the Ubee modem which acts like a router.

Another question BHNtechxpert I recently called internet technical support and one representative told me by restarting the modem from their end my internet speed would increase dramatically and it did! I saw that the game was really fast on my end this representative was the only one who said this mind you out of all the representatives I've talked to. So my question to you is why did this happen only once?

P.S. I just found this post by searching Google and surprise surprise
golden goose is having the same problems with the same game: Gears of War 3.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL

said by james78:

So BHNtechXpert what your saying is that road runner lighting alone is not enough to make my gaming experience good I need a fast router? I thought a router would slow the speed of my internet service since I'm already using the Ubee modem which acts like a router.

Another question BHNtechxpert I recently called internet technical support and one representative told me by restarting the modem from their end my internet speed would increase dramatically and it did! I saw that the game was really fast on my end this representative was the only one who said this mind you out of all the representatives I've talked to. So my question to you is why did this happen only once?

P.S. I just found this post by searching Google and surprise surprise
golden goose is having the same problems with the same game: Gears of War 3.

Repost your question in a new thread detailing whats going on and this time be specific, where you are located etc. Assuming you have anything related to this thread is misguided.
--
~All truth goes through three phases. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as self-evident. - Arthur Schopenhauer ~