weaseled386
join:2008-04-13
Edgewater, FL

weaseled386 to ElderGoose

to ElderGoose

Re: [Internet] Lighting and Online Gaming

said by ElderGoose:

Haha okay good to know about the wire situation

I would really like to get my hands on the D link DGL-4100 but it seems like the wireless version (DGL-4500) is easier to come by

I like the gamefuel idea of being able to prioritize what data goes where, I was skeptical that something like that would make a difference though because, the only thing I have connected to the internet is the xbox

I can tell you right now that the DGL-4500 is a good router. I've been using it for 1.5-2 years, and I've had zero issues with it. I do not use its wireless feature (I have a Cisco Aironet), and I keep Gamefuel off.

Latency to Blizzard's Chicago Warcraft server farm (from FL) was under 100ms. "World" latency, as Bliz calls it, was about 140ms.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
join:2006-02-16
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

said by weaseled386:

said by ElderGoose:

Haha okay good to know about the wire situation

I would really like to get my hands on the D link DGL-4100 but it seems like the wireless version (DGL-4500) is easier to come by

I like the gamefuel idea of being able to prioritize what data goes where, I was skeptical that something like that would make a difference though because, the only thing I have connected to the internet is the xbox

I can tell you right now that the DGL-4500 is a good router. I've been using it for 1.5-2 years, and I've had zero issues with it. I do not use its wireless feature (I have a Cisco Aironet), and I keep Gamefuel off.

Latency to Blizzard's Chicago Warcraft server farm (from FL) was under 100ms. "World" latency, as Bliz calls it, was about 140ms.

The DGL-4500 is only good now if you maintain .15 or below firmware on it which means you will need to downgrade it once get it home. There are cheaper solutions with better performance now... the DGL-4500 while good is almost EOL material.

weaseled386
Edgewater, FL

weaseled386

My experience says otherwise. I've been running 1.23 for quite some time. Maybe the fact that I'm not using the DGL4500 for wireless makes the difference. I'm very critical of my connection, and I haven't noticed any slow downs or hangups. I cannot remember the last time I had to reset it. Then again Florida's thunderstorms reset it no less than monthly for me
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
join:2006-02-16
Saint Petersburg, FL

1 edit

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

lol YEP that would explain it...because all post .15 firmware hosed the wireless performance (and a bunch of other things but mainly wireless). I have two of those routers that now serve as nothing but wireless bridges My Asus reigns king over the router pool.
ElderGoose
join:2011-11-15
Pinellas Park, FL

ElderGoose

Sooo in other words, this would be a good investment for me then?

weaseled386
Edgewater, FL

weaseled386

said by ElderGoose:

Sooo in other words, this would be a good investment for me then?

If you have the money to spend, my opinion is YES; this would be a decent investment for you. However, do not expect much difference. The issue is still going to persist. The issue is most-likely going to be overloaded/saturated game servers. Once the "newness" wears off, and/or they deploy additional equipment, you should be fine.

Back to my example of World of Warcraft. After a new expansion or patch my very low latency jumps to 2k+. The server population doubles, if not triples, in times like this.