All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs

KPaul
join:2007-02-08

KPaul

Question about Extreme Cable speeds

So Up to 24 Mbps / Up to 1 Mbps is what the site says. I currently have a docsis 2 modem, and just bought a docsis 3 to upgrade my current max of 17 down to the full 24. Will updating the modem actually give me the speed boost?

Oinktastic
Let them use fibre
join:2005-08-24
Scarborough

Oinktastic

Cable modems use a finite spectrum on the cable. The spectrum is divided up into channels, which are a certain number of Hz wide. Each channel yields a maximum throughput of around 38Mbps shared between everyone using it at the same time. There are only so many channels on the line dedicated to carrying internet signal and the fact that there can be many subscribers in an using their connections at the same time means that sometimes people will have to share the same channel(s).

DOCSIS 2 and older modems are limited to a single channel. This can cause slowdowns if the total requested data among all users on that channel exceeds 38Mbps. DOCSIS 3 modems are able to use 4-8 channels to spread their use more thinly over those available channels. This gives the user a better chance to have access to an open channel at any given point in time.

If you're not seeing the speedboost right now, it's because there's congestion somewhere between you and the internet, which is causing a bottleneck and reducing your speed. Changing your modem reduces the risk of congestion on the cable lines, but there are other places where congestion may occur. At least by buying the new modem, you have reduced the risk of your neighbour's use affecting your connection.