Search similar:

uniqs
ddruker
join:2000-08-13
Palo Alto, CA

1 recommendation

ddruker

Success - improved performance with new VDSL splitters

There have been several postings on this board discussing whether the type of DSL splitter you use matters.

I've got bonded fusion ADSL2+ service.

I can report that upgrading from a roughly 10 year old standard DSL splitters to new VDSL / ADSL2+ splitter (Wilcom PS-36) did improve performance.

In my case, my downstream rates improved modestly - about 10%, but upstream improved by closer to 30%. I'm now seeing 12.9Mb / sec down and 1.9Mb sec up as measured by several different speed tests.

I am sure your mileage will vary.

Tobester
join:2000-11-14
San Francisco, CA

1 edit

Tobester

Your improved speeds results mirror what I found after changing to an ADSL2+ compliant splitter.

»New ADSL2+ splitter improves Fusion speed..

leibold
MVM
join:2002-07-09
Sunnyvale, CA

leibold to ddruker

MVM

to ddruker
Thanks for reporting this since it is not really expected that switching to a ADSL2+ splitter would have any impact on upstream speed (upstream frequencies are in the lower frequency range that is included in the ADSL1 frequency range).
hungarianhc
join:2011-12-15

hungarianhc to ddruker

to ddruker
I'm not down with all the terminology... Can you help me out here? What kind of "splitter" did you use? I have bonded sonic.net fusion service... It's fast-ish, but I'd like it to be much faster. They included a standard splitter that splits the phone + internet connection, and whether I plug into that or into the wall, I still get 26mbps down and like 1.8mbps up. Are you saying that a "vdsl splitter" could increase my bandwidth? Is there a link to where i could get one of these on amazon? Does it split the phone and internet lines? Thanks!

leibold
MVM
join:2002-07-09
Sunnyvale, CA
Netgear CG3000DCR
ZyXEL P-663HN-51

leibold

MVM

You are correct, a splitter separates the line coming from the CO (telephone company Central Office) into a voice portion (for plain old telephone service or POTS) and data (DSL). There are many different types of splitters.

The one you describe keeps the POTS and DSL signal together in the in-house wiring and only separates the signal at one outlet. This type of splitter requires that you use micro-filters on all other phone outlets in the house to block the DSL signal at those locations.

There are also splitters that are installed at the NID (typically outside) and that separate POTS and DSL right where the in-house wiring connects to the telephone line. Generally those splitters give better results (especially when running a new Cat5 cable from the splitter to the DSL modem) but the difference varies from barely noticeable to dramatic improvements (depending on the layout and quality of the existing in-house wiring).

The original ADSL and ADSL2 use the same 1.1MHz frequency range and the same splitters work for both. Fusion uses the ADSL2+ specification which doubles the frequency range to 2.2MHz. While some of the old ADSL splitters work fine (even at those higher frequencies), some of them dampen the higher frequency signals and prevent you from getting the full speed your line is capable off. VDSL is a different specification that uses even higher frequencies over very short distances and generally VDSL splitters are also suitable for ADSL2+.

If you plan to make any changes keep in mind that with bonded Fusion you do need two splitters (one for each line) or a dual-line splitter.
hungarianhc
join:2011-12-15

hungarianhc

leibold, thanks for the response!

So... I live in an apartment building, and we have an MPOE in the garage. Is that the same thing as an NID?

So if I understand it, I would get two VDSL line splitters, split the data and phone line at the MPOE, and then run the lines up to my apartment separately... right?

I can't do this myself... can a Sonic.Net technician do it for me? I'm happy to be their hourly rate. I just want more internet speed...

Any link to the proper VDSL filter that I should buy?

Snypes
join:2003-12-29
Santa Rosa, CA

Snypes to ddruker

to ddruker
Theoretically this is possible. We can come into the location and install the splitter but it will require some things to be successful. First we would need approval of the building owner to install the splitter in the phone closet. Secondly there needs to be at least 2 pairs of wiring going into the unit so we can split out the phone and data accordingly. If you can confirm these things go ahead and contact support and they can get you in the schedule for a NID splitter installation. Hope this helps!

Tobester
join:2000-11-14
San Francisco, CA

Tobester

said by Snypes:

Theoretically this is possible. We can come into the location and install the splitter but it will require some things to be successful.

I'm glad to hear Sonic has changed their policy and will consider allowing Techs to install ADSL2+ splitters at the network interface.

When I made the switch to Sonic several months back, they didn't offer the service, even though I already had a dedicated CAT6 drop line. I did the research on DSLReports.com for my best options.

Kudos to Sonic for trying to work with customers for a great outcome!