how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

RLB

join:2001-08-01
Chatham, NJ

email address when cancel service?

I might be changing my service to fios and my primary email is my optonline.net. I know it varies how long my email address will stay active. My parents, different account and address, have Optimum Online. Can I transfer my email address to their account? Or do I have to cancel my service and then have my parents add that email address to their account? How long before Cablevision allows someone else to use my old email as theirs?

mack1951
Universal Soldier

join:2000-04-18
Bayonne, NJ

I switched to FIOS last October and my email address at optimum still works. So that makes a year and 1 month so far. YMMV
--
THE ROAD: Romans 3:23, 6:23, 5:8, 10:9

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY
kudos:11
reply to RLB

It used to work for a long time, but I think they've implemented a new system that cuts it off quickly. Based on this post, it's 135 days:
»Re: Optimum WiFi Question

I cancelled OOL last January. My email accounts don't seem to work anymore (or I forgot my password).

I never heard of being able to transfer email accounts to another account. You'd have to call CV to see if that's possible.
--
University of Southern California - Fight On!

aannoonn

@optonline.net
reply to RLB

Unless their policies/processes have changed, your parents will have to call Tech Support and request your email address be transferred to their account. Once an email address has been used, you can't activate it again without Tech Support enabling it.

frdrizzt

join:2008-05-03
Ronkonkoma, NY
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
reply to RLB

If you know the primary ID & password on your current account, you can (after the account is disconnected) click on "My Account" and go to "ID center" on optimum.net to move it yourself by entering your parents' account information. If it fails, you and your parents will need to conference call (or you call from their house) to do it. You will need the HFC/CM MAC from all active accounts. You have 135 days to do the switchover from the date of disconnect.

Important to note that if you do move it to their account it will not be possible to disassociate it from any existing IDs on their account. So if you ever re-activate service, your current & your parents' IDs will either have to stay all on their account, or all on your new account.

RLB

Chatham, NJ
reply to RLB

What if I deactivate that email address. How long before Cablevision releases it so someone else can use it?

aannoonn

@optonline.net

My understanding is never. My email addresses were still locked 7 YEARS after I canceled my OOL account, and had to be manually unlocked by Tech Support.

RLB

Chatham, NJ

So if I cancel my service, after 135 days no one can ever use that email address again unless a tech manually unlocks it?

frdrizzt

Ronkonkoma, NY
Reviews:
·Optimum Online

Sort of. A tech will need to transfer it to an active account, which will only be done by speaking to you & the new account holder (which may be you). The ID will not be unlocked to create again, it will be transferred & undeleted if restored after 135 days.

It will never be publicly available again.

tmsbas

@optonline.net
reply to RLB

i am in my account right at this second...how do i remove an email address? my mother changed her's and she was getting email through optonline. i cannot find a link to do this.

any help is much appreciated!

frdrizzt

Ronkonkoma, NY
Reviews:
·Optimum Online

Go to the following link with the primary ID on the account with the email you want to remove: »idcenter.services.optimum.net/OptimumID

If you want to delete the primary ID, you need to speak to Cablevision (and need to have the person whose name is on the bill handy, if it's not you).

xirian
Premium
join:2003-01-26
Beacon, NY
kudos:1
reply to RLB

said by RLB:

So if I cancel my service, after 135 days no one can ever use that email address again unless a tech manually unlocks it?

Having switched back once, this is pretty much it. If you ever switch back, it will give you the same email addresses already set up.