spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Navyvet

@centurytel.net

[CenturyTel] Purchase modem for Century Link DSL

I'm getting Century Link DSL installed and I'm told by them to lease their modem ($7.49/month) because any third party modem probably wouldn't be compatible. Sounds like BS to me but I don't know for sure. Their price seems outrageous and I'd rather buy my own than over pay them. This will be 10 meg speed service. Can you give any suggestions as to which DSL modem I could buy at Best Buy or anywhere else other than Century Link That will work with this service. I already have a good D Link DIR 615 router I was planning on using so I don't need a Modem/router just a modem if that's possible.

Mr Matt

join:2008-01-29
Eustis, FL
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Millenicom
·Embarq Now Centu..
·Comcast
·CenturyLink
I recommend to my friends that they initially rent a modem from CenturyLink so they get good technical support when setting up their service. You will also need DSL Filters a few of which are included with the rental modem. I do not think that CenturyLink requires the customer to return the DSL Filters when they return the modem.

Once everything is working you can purchase your own modem and return the rental modem to CenturyLink. All you have to do is log into the rental modem's webpage and determine how it is configured and configure the modem you purchased the same way. Wal-Mart has a good selection of ADSL Modems and a liberal return policy.

Navyvet

@centurytel.net
Thanks this exactly what I was wanting to hear. I'll do as you suggested and check out WalMart's modems after I see how the rental modem is configured.

almex
Premium
join:2001-09-18
Mesa, AZ
reply to Navyvet
$7.49/mo is crazy. I just recently signed up and they wanted $3.50/mo for me to lease a modem, which I still didn't go for. Look around eBay for a ZyXEL 660 DSL modem - I bought one for $14.
--
"Careful, we don't want to learn from this!" --Calvin & Hobbes

soadlink

join:2002-11-17
USA
said by almex:

Look around eBay for a ZyXEL 660 DSL modem - I bought one for $14.

Do you have their bonded dsl service by chance, or just the standard dsl? I've been looking to try a new modem for my bonded dsl service to replace my Cisco DDR2200 (for various reasons), but am afraid of getting one that doesn't work with their bonded service.

almex
Premium
join:2001-09-18
Mesa, AZ
My service hasn't been installed yet, but I do know it will be the 10MB service, which I assume is not bonded. Sorry, can't help you with that one.
--
"Careful, we don't want to learn from this!" --Calvin & Hobbes

dgoner
Premium
join:2002-03-08
Knox, IN
I use the Actiontec GT701D just fine on Centurylink. I purchased over at Amazon for about $ 42. Worked fine on 10 meg service at my office in town and worked fine when I moved my office into my home on 1.5 meg service a couple miles outside of town.

zevus

join:2010-11-29
Chandler, TX
reply to Navyvet
Yeah, I have an old surfboard modem I bought about 10 years ago that I still used for cable up until I cancelled it about 6mo ago.

w/ the DSL, I have my own Zyxel.. not leased

jim61

join:2000-09-10
Vermilion, OH
reply to Navyvet
Just use your dial-up modem you have in your computer now. That will be just as fast as the DSL they are offering.

DrD

join:2008-03-03
Harrisonville, MO
reply to Navyvet
Where are you located? It makes a difference in which modem you will get.

Navyvet

@centurytel.net
I'm located in Wentzville, Missouri. I'm told the service won't work on the phone line they have in my house but they're putting cat 5 line from the box outside up to my computer. There's fiber optic line at the curb but not up to the house. So I won't be using a phone line modem. There's an ethernet jack in their box that's mounted to the side of my house. It will be plugged into that not the phone jacks. So I need that's the type modem I'll be needing.

Navyvet

@centurytel.net
OK, the tech was here and installed it. Turns out I didn't even need a modem in the first place. My old faithful D Link DIR-615 is all I need to connect. The customer service department obviously does know exactly what's needed and not. So their $7.49 router is staying with them and I'm keeping the the monthly fee in my pocket. Go figure!!!!