spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Bhisso
@ncol.net

Bhisso

Anon

[HELP] Multi homed with one BGP and one non BGP link

We have one metroE connection and a /20. My ISP advertises my BGP routes. I want to add another nonBGP connection from another provider and provide failover. Can it be done? I'm looking for backup at an affordable price.

I would like to reroute all my IPs if my primary fails.
aryoba
MVM
join:2002-08-22

aryoba

MVM

Of course what you are trying to have is doable. You need routing manipulation where all traffic pick your primary ISP (the Metro E) by default and pick your backup ISP should the primary ISP fail Implementation-wise will depend on your network topology, the network device quantity and capabilities, and your comfort level of routing protocol.

Note that you will not be able to use your /20 network once your network fails over the backup ISP. When you plan to keep using the /20 during failover, then following must occur.

* You cannot rely on your ISP to advertise your /20 anymore
* You must run BGP with backup ISP
* You will then advertise the /20 yourself to both ISP via BGP

Bhisso
@ncol.net

Bhisso to Bhisso

Anon

to Bhisso
The backup link I was trying to use is a 50/5 Time Warner circuit and they say they can't do BGP on that circuit. Any way around this to make this work?
aryoba
MVM

aryoba

MVM

You can have managed service from either your ISP or some 3-rd party to manage the redundancy for you. Should you decide to manage the redundancy yourself, you have to make sacrifice by using the Time Warner IP addresses for Internet connectivity and not using your /20 network during primary ISP outage.

bhisso
@mfbonline.com

bhisso to Bhisso

Anon

to Bhisso
Can you suggest a third party? I do not know of any.
aryoba
MVM

aryoba

MVM

When you let your ISP manage the /20 network for you, then connection redundancy you can have is another path to reach the same ISP. This other path can be in the form of another circuit (i.e. DS-3) to the ISP or some kind of IPSec VPN tunnel to the ISP (assuming the ISP support such tunnel termination). The ISP still has the same infrastructure to the Internet.

Should you consider redundant path to the Internet bypassing your current ISP, you can no longer let your ISP manage the /20 for you. You either manage the /20 yourself or have some 3rd-party company manages it.

Depending on your application, you could just let your existing ISP manage the /20 for you. As redundancy, you can buy similar services from another hosting company; and using some kind of server load balancer you can balance traffic load between the two companies (the ISP and the other hosting company).