Smile
Premium Member
join:2003-12-09
Ajax, ON

Devanchya to NotAnAnon

Premium Member

to NotAnAnon

Re: Axiety - it is not just you.

I am going to an Anxiety workshop next week to help deal with work stress and other factors. It's a "non medication workshop" which isn't anti-medication but is suppose to give you tools to help manage stress and anxiety even if you do not have a full disorder.

Personally I have been seeing a Registered Massage Therapist to help loosing my body and to teach me how the body is put together... for example the pain in my neck is actually related to my hip being out of alignment right now... I'm over compensating for it when I sit down and causing the mussel to be in pain.

Personally I think getting rid of physical education in school will make it worse in the future. I personally wish we could easily get into classes to "teach" what we learned in school once we are adults. We forget so much thinking we know everything.
Sukunai
Premium Member
join:2008-05-07

Sukunai to NotAnAnon

Premium Member

to NotAnAnon
I won't hassle a person for remaining anon, but really, whether your post is a post from a person called 'anon' or a specific moniker, what's precisely the difference eh.

Mom never called me Sukunai by the way.

I have fybromyalgia, a condition that has comprehensively butt fucked my life right into the round file since 94. I have been on disability since then, and the paper work reads 'for depression' because at the time fybromyalgia was an unknown. It has become known as 'the condition of the 90s' and yet, even now it is still considered a crock to some people.

I am not disabled from depression regardless of the paper work saying as much, but, I also never expect to escape depression simply because short of my fybromyalgia buggering off and my life coming back, I have a lot to be thoroughly depressed about.

And I don't mind openly talking about it as a person called Sukunai.

I know this much, the second the pill comes with the warning 'some side effects may be, and they then go on to list off a dozen results half life threatening and the other half no better than the original problem, I have to wonder, how do they actually convince people to take this stuff?

I have learned, sadly too late to avoid some of those rather damaging 'side effects', that often the best solution is superior strategies, not superior pharmaceutical products (often not very superior regardless of the claims). Anything you can get from a pill, you can likely get from a good non chemical solution.

Anxiety, what makes you get that way? Learn as much as you can what attacks your anxiety, and use it as the weapon it can be. Sometimes we just need someone that has been there before to tell us the tricks eh. And there ARE tricks to cope with all sorts of things. But of course, a superior strategy that doesn't require you to fill a prescription is of no use to the medical and pharmaceutical community.

You know what I got from 4 years of 'lets try this or lets try that', and varying doses? I have the capacity to get inside of a woman's mind. My psyche has been mangled, muddled, altered and disrupted thanks to modern medicine. Thanks doc, always wanted to feel my inner feminine side as if I was a real woman. I appreciate the help.
And I have learned, you can't always undo some of the things you do to your mind. Fiddle with your mind at your own risk.

I don't take pain killers even though they might help some. I have gotten used to just enjoying being particularly clean from taking very frequent very hot baths. I have learned the value of laughter and make a point to watch funny shows. Laughter actually IS good medicine. And while this will come off rude, so be it, I have learned the rush you gain from orgasm in the male sense of the function, results in very beneficial chemical release in the brain. Or at least, I have been unable to remain unhappy, down, stressed, depressed successfully after ejaculation. Don't expect your doctor to suggest sex as a cure though. Don't expect anyone to. I just know it works.
It works the same way runners get something out of the rush from a fast hard run.

I also really like chocolate. Nothing is so relaxing as some form of pleasing chocolate. I have recently gotten fond of a long walk with some trance music and a visit to Tim Horton's for an extra large hot chocolate and a casual drink of it. I get as much from the walk as most do from meditation.

I have also been told by a psychiatrist, and it bears up, that we tend to respond well to written words better than just trying to think positive thoughts. Write out a perfect positive message to yourself. Then keep it as a master copy. And write out that message a few times when you think you need a dose. It actually works.

Pills are not always the answer.

Rifleman
Premium Member
join:2004-02-09
p1a

1 recommendation

Rifleman to NotAnAnon

Premium Member

to NotAnAnon
Good subect.
I dunno if the OP had me in mind starting it but in my case I suspect most of my mental issues stem from things I can't change. My health issues are cumulative and to be honest ended up costing me everthing I had. Pain is hard to hide for long, issues from affecting your family's well being are obvious to the person causing the issues in the first place. At the end of my marriage the only thing I could see----and still see---was me dying. The house would've been paid off, my insurance would have been a nest egg for the future. People would be hurt---but only for that one time.
Friends I thought were closest ended up screwing me in my view---they probably see it differently.
DKS and others mentioned self medicating. That's a big issue. It can be booze, drugs, sex, gambling--whatever.
In my case it was booze---until I quit. I could go on a bender and get in a fight or say something I should never have said and feel great the next few days afterwards.
I mentioned starting that new drug Lyrica. I had 6 weeks worth and felt great. Ate them all in 4 weeks. The methadone is the same. I take extra and go hike or putter a bit and enjoy myself. I can take a little extra before bed and actually get comfortable, read a book and fall asleep.
The trouble is that extra is gonna make me suffer at the end as I'll have to ration to make it till the next refill. I have told the doc straight out he could give me 100mgs a day and sooner or later if 100 made me feel good then 110 will be even better. Am I abusing it? I don't think so but it can't keep going on. The doc gave me extra for bad days and told me if I am out early---too bad. I can't blame him.
Anyways---as I type this I can see a RV park full of old beaten trailers---not homes but small travel trailers with families living in them full time. I cannot imagine staying here like that a week---let alone years.
So things can be worse.
I guess thats it----I suspect I say far too much about myself here but don't really care. I had no other outlet and I find venting does help.
I'm gonna try Florida again for awhile. I had plans to go west but things change.
To the OP and others try to get help sooner rather than when things have gotten to the point that the losses are too large. Take care.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones

join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON

DKS to NotAnAnon

to NotAnAnon
Here is a really good primer, with links on anxiety disorders.

Devanchya
Smile
Premium Member
join:2003-12-09
Ajax, ON

1 recommendation

Devanchya to NotAnAnon

Premium Member

to NotAnAnon
I want to follow up on this post to let other know something I just discovered.

A lot of company health plans will cover seeing a actual psychotherapist (that's different than what you can get through OHIP).

A lot of the companies will not advertise this fact and you have to call them up directly to ask. Coverage is normally limited per-year but it can get you help. Especially since EAP programs are so limited.
Crescent
Premium Member
join:2003-01-22
canada

Crescent

Premium Member

A lot of companies do not want you to know this.
If you are having some problems and show up late for work a few times, you are not seeing "help" they can fire you.

If you are seeing help, it is much more difficult for them to fire you if for some reason you could not get your act together in time to start work.
freejazz_RdJ
join:2009-03-10

1 recommendation

freejazz_RdJ to mlppp

to mlppp
MLPPP anon,

I strongly urge you to be extremely cautious about self medicating with "MJ". Not because of the depressive effects though. My son spent 3 years of his life using that as a crutch to control crippling GAD with co-morbid major depressive episodes. It wasn't addictive in the classical sense, but he couldn't function normally without regular use because he used it to control the peaks in his anxiety. It was like xanax he could use an unlimited amount of without medical supervision.

A lot of the anxiety centered around his sexuality, concern that his education was depleting the family finances and uncertainty that he was making the right choices in school, relationships and friends. These concerns impacted his academic work, his job and his social and family life, which just compounded the worry. The issues will be different with everyone, but they sadness and fear they create resonates with all those who have struggled.

Years of therapy and medication enabled him to learn to control and manage his anxiety. I think his biggest self-realization was that he was fundamentally in control of of his anxiety and a lot of therapy was required to help him gain control. It also required an immense level of support from me and my wife, his sister and his closest friends. I just wish that I had the courage to be honest with my children about the struggles I had 25 years earlier with depression and panic disorder; I feel that being more candid could have made it easier for him to seek help earlier.

My advice:
-Use your EAP program resources. The information should be kept strictly confidential.
-Talk to your MD. I know you do not like the concept of prescription medication, but it really seemed to be trial and error with my son. Probably a couple dozen combos were tried, I can't even remember all the acronyms. Perhaps it could be a valuable adjunct to your talk therapy.
-If it seriously impacts your ability to work, notify the appropriate people in your company. If they know you have an issue, they have to try to work with you instead of dismissing you.
-Open up to family. They are the best support network you can get. You may even learn that others have suffered like you have and get a lot of help.
-Persist with the therapy chosen. I'd give high marks to Cognitive Behavioral Therapy and EMDR. For myself and my family, Yoga and Biofeedback has been great long term supports along with changing diet and time management habits.

El Quintron
Cancel Culture Ambassador
Premium Member
join:2008-04-28
Tronna

El Quintron to NotAnAnon

Premium Member

to NotAnAnon
First off... thanks for posting, it must have been difficult for you to put it all into words.

Coming from my own experiences with anxiety, I had a serious bout of it in the early millennium set off by a preexisting medical condition and other life factors that needed sorting out.

I'll personally vouch for cognitive behavioral therapy, but not every treatment works for every person. Keep your head up.