Search similar:

uniqs

goober22
Resident Duh-Huh Member
join:2001-12-28
Panama City, FL

1 edit

goober22

Anyone having Internet connection issues in Panama City?

Anyone having Internet connection issues in Panama City? My router seems to keep loosing net connection. My Lan stays up fine but no Wan. I have had to keep power cycling the router. This can be every 5 minutes or up to 4hrs.

This started yesterday morning, 11/16 and has continued for the past 24hrs. I swapped the router for an older one I had and it does the same thing. Both are Linksys BEFSR41s, a v2 & v5 BTW.

I found that if I enter the router and then drop and renew the Wan IP with knology it starts to work again. Since 2000 I have had an IP of 69.1.x.x with a 2hr renew but now it is pulling a 24.96.x.x showing a 3 day renew. Not sure if that is related.

I haven't changed anything on my side. It seems as if the Knology IP is getting dropped for some reason and I'm having to constantly renew it manually.

Edit -- I also just did a speedtest and now it seems my speeds are down as well. Related?

BiGdUsTy
join:2005-10-20
Panama City Beach, FL

BiGdUsTy

Not having that problem on the beach. I'm running a WRT320N with dd-wrt firmware.

Lark3po
Premium Member
join:2003-08-05
Madison, AL

Lark3po to goober22

Premium Member

to goober22
goober22,

Have you tried removing the router from the setup to see what kind of speeds you get with just the modem and the computer?

You may be having router issues...

goober22
Resident Duh-Huh Member
Panama City, FL

goober22

said by Lark3po:

goober22,

Have you tried removing the router from the setup to see what kind of speeds you get with just the modem and the computer?

You may be having router issues...

"one is the loneliest number that you'll ever do..."

Must be me! I haven't tried router-less setups as I NEED a router in my setup but I have tried 2 different routers. But, as I posted, they are the same model (different builds - 4 years apart - 4yrs old and at least 7yrs old). So... I am open that something may have changed that affects them (brand or model).

I have tried 1 PC only on router and 1 voip device only on router and both dropped wan after awhile... as if something affected the wan side of router.

However... I put my original, newer router back on at 8:30am (after 3 drops this AM) and it has been running okay all day (5pm) It also grabbed a 69.1.x.x IP.

I do have a new router coming (different brand - just in case) to try. It may have been some "ghost in the machine" because this is the longest I've been up and running in 2 days. Speeds are also back to 12mb levels.

Lark3po
Premium Member
join:2003-08-05
Madison, AL

Lark3po

Premium Member

It all may be a slip up / glitch and I hope it all starts working well for you.

Like BiGdUsTy See Profile, I also use a Linksys (WRT300N) router running DD-WRT firmware. If nothing else you might consider giving DD-WRT firmware a try. You can read up on it on their website. All in all it's rocking firmware with tons more options.

Good luck!

goober22
Resident Duh-Huh Member
Panama City, FL

goober22

So far it is still running okay at 8pm. I don't run a wireless router. I have had one in the past and I DID use DD-WRT on it but it did not have the range to cover my area with reliable speeds (G at the time).

I run a wired network through the house with two wireless APs, one at the front of the house and a 2nd at the back. This gives me coverage all throughout my property. I plan to upgrade the components to N series next year, but I did go ahead and grab the wired router just in case.

But anyway, things seem to be running okay today since 8:30am. "fingers crossed"!
goober22

goober22

Just an update. Been running fine all day so far, 4:40pm., That's almost 30 hrs. So... not sure what happened on 11/16 because I could not keep the 'net up and running without renewing my IP settings all day.

"Why ask why"!