All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Boots
@mycallis.com

Boots

Anon

[Speed Problem] AT&T NNTP Bandwidth Shaping?

Curious as to whether AT&T might be throttling my Giganews feed? I have the 6.0 DSL and can hit max speed on the Giganews speed test and can download regular apps via HTTP at max speed as well. But when I start to download a lot of 100MB binaries, my speed will initially start out at maximum but then after about 15 mins, start running erratically from 1MB-3MB. This morning I switched my default port from 119 to 80 and saw the same results. I haven't tried port 23 but will tonight. It's only within the last year I've had this drop in speed. I've talked to Giganews and they report everything is fine on their end. Based on what I'm experiencing, it seems AT&T is throttling me. Anyone else here with similar results?
Expand your moderator at work
upb
Premium Member
join:2004-03-15
Carriere, MS

upb to Boots

Premium Member

to Boots

Re: [Speed Problem] AT&T NNTP Bandwidth Shaping?

The EFF has a testing tool available which may give you the information you are seeking. It's at »www.eff.org/pages/switze ··· ing-tool and is known as "Switzerland."

I've never noticed any throttling by AT&T Southeast, but your mileage may vary.

Boots
@mycallis.com

Boots to Boots

Anon

to Boots
upb, I appreciate you attempting to help me. I've also found a site that is supposed to help pinpoint ISP throttling. I'll check them both tonight when I get home.

»broadband.mpi-sws.org/tr ··· test.php
MrHappy316
Wish I had my tank
Premium Member
join:2003-01-02
Columbia, SC

MrHappy316 to Boots

Premium Member

to Boots
I've had these issues before with other providers, which has always been a problem with a router further down the line. Also if your using NNTP you should be using it over SSL. Try NNTP over SSL and see if it fixes your speed if your provider has it.
upb
Premium Member
join:2004-03-15
Carriere, MS

upb to Boots

Premium Member

to Boots
said by Boots :

I've also found a site that is supposed to help pinpoint ISP throttling. I'll check them both tonight when I get home.

»broadband.mpi-sws.org/tr ··· test.php

Thanks for the URI, Boots. I've bookmarked it for future reference. I use Usenet on a regular basis, as hosted by Altopia, and use an encrypted connection to port 563. That mode assures that connections via public hot spots aren't carrying my password in the clear. I have no evidence that encrypting things improves long term speed, though.
Expand your moderator at work

Boots
@mycallis.com

Boots to MrHappy316

Anon

to MrHappy316

Re: [Speed Problem] AT&T NNTP Bandwidth Shaping?

MrHappy316, thanks I'm going to try the free upgrade to Diamond on my GN acct and see if it makes a difference with SSL and encryption.

graysonf
MVM
join:1999-07-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL

graysonf

MVM

nntp over SSL isn't going to improve your speed by itself. It adds considerable CPU overhead, but that will not be the bottleneck because you don't have enough bandwidth to see the effects.