how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

dedelen

join:2002-03-09
Mount Orab, OH

Westell 7500 Nightmare + Firmware?

Frontier swapped my old Westell 7500 for a new one recently in an attempt to fix a dropping problem—which ultimately had nothing to do with the modem.

In the process, the new 7500 (an A90-750045-07) did not have the same firmware as the one they replaced. The firmware in the new one is 5.01.01.07.

Oddly, this different firmware has no in/out/src dropdowns in the Port Forwarding tab, and I have been unable to run secure SMTP through ports 465 and 587 when the firewall is set to "typical" security. No matter what I try, I cannot get Port Forwarding to work with my Thunderbird software; all the SMTP connections time out. Did not have this same problem with the older 7500.

Worse, I attempted to contact Frontier about getting the latest firmware, but they told me they did not have the firmware, did not support firmware upgrades (?), and told me to talk to Westell.

I went to the Westell support page, and it says they sold their modem and router business to Netgear in April 2011.

I contact Netgear, and despite their own website having several pages dedicated to Westell products, including the 7500, their support insists they do not sell or support Westell products! They, of course, referred me back to Frontier.

After conferencing in Frontier and Netgear, Frontier reneged and said that they should be the source for firmware upgrades. They attempted to refer me to a dead Verizon page for the firmware, then they insisted they had no idea where I could get the latest firmware and that no one has ever asked them for it before.

*Sigh*

When I noted that a hacker could crack the 7500 and then new firmware might be needed, they acted as if I was some crazy man.

Needless to say, countless hours lost at Netgear, Westell, and Frontier, and I still have no latest firmware and no solution to the problem with SMTP connections (though HTTP port forwarding works perfectly).

Anyone got any ideas on where to get the latest firmware and whether it includes the in/out/src dropdown menu I had on my older 7500?

Thanks in advance!

wayjac
Premium,MVM
join:2001-12-22
Indy
kudos:1
said by dedelen:

Oddly, this different firmware has no in/out/src dropdowns in the Port Forwarding tab

Are you looking for this page

dedelen

Mount Orab, OH
Click for full size
Nope, that's not what either the old or the new one looked like. The new one is the shot the one above. Weird.

wayjac
Premium,MVM
join:2001-12-22
Indy
kudos:1
The picture you posted is what I expect to see with a 7500
I've never seen a westell port forwarding page with in/out/src dropdowns

dedelen

Mount Orab, OH
Weird. My previous two Westell 7500s (one Verizon branded and the other Frontier ) both had additional options for configuration on the rules. This one does not.

With the added options, I had no trouble running the modem in "typical" security mode with all the port forwards for secure SMTP. This firmware simply won't allow it.