share rss forum feed

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
join:2001-11-22
NanoParticle
kudos:5

[Food] Question about roasting chickin

Guys, I've got a fryer marinating in Penzy's Northwoods Fire seasoning, but I've got a question:

One recipe online actually says to cook the bird breast side DOWN starting at 500 degrees for 15 minutes, 450 for another 15 minutes, and then 425 for 30 minutes. Is that for real? Won't it come out soggy, I want the nice carmelized breast skin.

I was thinking about roasting at 350 for 75 minutes with aluminum over the thing.

Any of you out there with advice, I am cooking it tomorrow (Friday night).
--
Join Teams Helix and Discovery. Rest in Peace, Leonard David Smith, my best friend, you are missed badly! Rest in peace, Pop, glad our last years were good. Please pray for Colin, he has ependymoma, a brain cancer, donate to a children's Hospital.

Icarus
Department Of Redundancy Department
Premium,Mod
join:2000-11-08
Off Center
kudos:1

Sounds about right. The high heat will make it nice and krispy. It will come out soggy if you cover it cause it will hold the steam in.

opus74
Deep Thought
Premium
join:2002-03-04
Coello, IL
reply to signmeuptoo
Breast side up will keep the bird from drying out.

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
NanoParticle
reply to signmeuptoo
Now I am confused. I thought maybe the purpose of roasting breast side down was to keep it moist.

It also mentioned using a rack I now see. I would be using a glass tray, I don't know if 500 degrees is too hot for a glass tray.

I am tempted to try this though.
--
Join Teams Helix and Discovery. Rest in Peace, Leonard David Smith, my best friend, you are missed badly! Rest in peace, Pop, glad our last years were good. Please pray for Colin, he has ependymoma, a brain cancer, donate to a children's Hospital.

Icarus
Department Of Redundancy Department
Premium,Mod
join:2000-11-08
Off Center
I always start my chickens at high heat for the first 15 and then lower it down to 425. Always come out great. If you dont have a rack you can always crumple some foil and make a ring to set the bird on top of so the heat better circulates around it,but its not necessary. Breast up is best as theres lots of fat there which will self baste the bird and keep it moist as it cooks. Its really easy to roast a chicken. Go for it.
--
Just cause you got the monkey off your back doesn't mean the circus has left town.
Team Helix- Folding@Home and Rosetta@Home

Dominokat
"Hi"
Premium
join:2002-08-06
Boothbay, ME
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

1 edit
reply to signmeuptoo
I like using this method for roasting chicken.

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
NanoParticle
reply to signmeuptoo
Ok, will roast breast side up with aluminium. Gracias. Got some potatoes and carrots too.

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
NanoParticle
reply to signmeuptoo
Well, got out the flame thrower and blasted the durned thing!

The Penzy's northwoods is great on it. Smelled up the whole house with a delicious smell. Would be nice to do a turkey with it.

BTW, on America's Test Kitchens the tested various Cinnamons, and Penzy's Vietnamese stuff was the best, but I knew that already!
--

jaynick
lit up
Premium
join:2001-02-06
Sterling Heights, MI
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 recommendation

reply to Dominokat
said by Dominokat:

I like using this method for roasting chicken.

That will certainly do the job! Nice and crisp.

leibold
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-09
Sunnyvale, CA
kudos:10
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET

3 recommendations

reply to opus74
said by opus74:

There are other ways to keep the bird from drying out: in the Beer Can Chicken recipe (simplyrecipes.com) the breast is neither up nor down

Beer Can Chicken

I have seen variations of this idea that use soda instead of beer, but the basic idea is the same. Provide a source of steam that keeps the inside of the chicken moist while at the same time have all the skin exposed to get it nice and crisp.

It works surprisingly well.
--
Got some spare cpu cycles ? Join Team Helix or Team Starfire!

tmpchaos
Requiescat in pace
Co-Lead Mod
join:2000-04-28
Hoboken, NJ
Reviews:
·Optimum Online

2 recommendations

reply to Dominokat
This is for a turkey, so be sure to cut the amount down accordingly. Half should do for a nice crispy bird.

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=SU8iRYbnAb0

--
***ATMFAQ***DIFAQ***Kitchen Sink***

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
NanoParticle
A side of thermite please!

jaynick
lit up
Premium
Sterling Heights, MI
reply to tmpchaos
As for cutting down the amount, is it trial and error?

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
NanoParticle

2 recommendations

I think it is mostly error and then a big trial.

jaynick
lit up
Premium
Sterling Heights, MI
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 recommendation

reply to leibold
said by leibold:

said by opus74:

There are other ways to keep the bird from drying out: in the Beer Can Chicken recipe (simplyrecipes.com) the breast is neither up nor down
[att=1]
I have seen variations of this idea that use soda instead of beer, but the basic idea is the same. Provide a source of steam that keeps the inside of the chicken moist while at the same time have all the skin exposed to get it nice and crisp.

It works surprisingly well.

Thanks for tip, I am trying this as we speak. Sounds terrific. The wife even took a picture. lol..
My only issue is there goes a can of my Bud light!

leibold
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-09
Sunnyvale, CA
kudos:10
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
said by jaynick:

The wife even took a picture.

Where is the picture and how did you like it ?
--
Got some spare cpu cycles ? Join Team Helix or Team Starfire!

jaynick
lit up
Premium
Sterling Heights, MI
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 edit

1 recommendation

Click for full size
Came out quite tasty, thanks. Of course she should have taken one afterwards.

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
NanoParticle

1 recommendation

reply to signmeuptoo
Looks like paprika and some sort of herb(s) on it?

What do you think of Northwoods Fire seasoning, here is what it is made of:

Northwoods 'Fire' Seasoning Hot
Bill made 2 versions of Northwoods Seasoning right from the start, regular and 'Fire'. When we introduced regular Northwoods Seasoning it quickly became one of our most popular all purpose blends. Northwoods Fire has the same great flavor, with the added kick of both smoky Chipotle and hot Cayenne red pepper. This makes Northwoods Fire the perfect seasoning for all the grilled foods of summer. Rub on steaks, fish and chops, sprinkle on chicken or turkey wings, potatoes with onions, grilled vegetables. Use 1-2 tsp. per pound, depending on just how hot you like it. Hand-mixed from: coarse flake salt, paprika, chipotle pepper, black pepper, cayenne pepper, thyme, rosemary and garlic.

I think I might brine the next bird I cook along with using it, but I will definitly try and use the beer in the can thing. I think I recall, long ago, using that when BBQing a bird.
--

jaynick
lit up
Premium
Sterling Heights, MI
Reviews:
·Comcast
Yes, at that point it had paprika and herbs-Italian mix consisting of marjoram,thyme,rosemary,sage, and basil, coarse sea salt and pepper. I brush the bird with olive oil first for browning and crispness. I wish we had taken a photo after. I will next time.

The Northwoods fire seasoning you mentioned sounds fabulous and will try that on the next one. The only thing we are missing is the chipotle pepper. I'll get some. thanks.

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
NanoParticle
I like Penzey's. They are a little expensive, but they come up with some really good blends, just the right proportions. Their Vietnamese Cinnamon got top ratings by America's Test Kitchens, I've had it and always liked it best my own self. They even said "real" cinnamon wasn't as good, lacking the depth of flavor.

There are two locations in Michigan if you are near them:

»www.penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penzeys/···res.html

If you make your own blend, careful with the chipotle, it is pretty potent, chipotle is basically adobo sauce seasoned jalapenos smoked in earthen smokers. The smoking concentrates the heat.
--

jaynick
lit up
Premium
Sterling Heights, MI
Reviews:
·Comcast
The Penzey's in Beverly Hills isn't real far but as luck would have it we have a nephew that lives less than 3 blocks from there and said he would be happy to pick some up when they come for Christmas.
I am going to try this with a small turkey, 10-12 lb, with a Fosters 25.4 oz can of beer. They are large in diameter and should support the turkey. I'll post the pic when it comes out of the oven and give the results.

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
NanoParticle
Excited to hear how it goes!