Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

kfashbur
Premium
join:2010-11-11
Carmel, IN

Alternatives to ATT 2Wire Uverse modem?

My ATT DSL lines switches over to Uverse 12Mb service Friday evening. I just received my new 2 Wire modem, model 3600HGV. This thing looks like it has been combat tested. I intended to call ATT tomorrow to request a new modem, but began wondering what other alternatives may exist. I have been using a Netgear N300 Modem Router with my current ATT Pro DSL service that I really like. I also have a Motorola 3347-02-1022 Modem Router that I had used previously. Can I use either of these modems instead of the 2-Wire?

Thanks for the help.

Ken

trparky
Apple... YUM
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-24
Cleveland, OH
kudos:2
Nope, you have to use the 2Wire modem. There have been some people who hacked a way to use another modem to connect with but it's a real PITA.

kfashbur
Premium
Carmel, IN
Okay, I was afraid of that. Can you tell me which wireless protocol the 2Wire uses? I have no technical documentation with this modem. I'm guessing 802.11g. Is it possible to use the 2Wire as a modem only, and continue to use my Netgear as my wireless router?

Thank you,
Ken

trparky
Apple... YUM
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-24
Cleveland, OH
kudos:2
Yes, it's only 802.11g.

You can't put the modem into a true "bridge mode," the only thing you can do is put the router behind the 2Wire device and put the router into DMZ+ Mode. This creates a situation in which double-NAT occurs but that's the best you can hope for.
--
Tom
Boycott AT&T uVerse! | Tom's Android Blog | GummyCharged Droid Charge ROM

ILpt4U
Premium
join:2006-11-12
Lisle, IL
kudos:9

1 edit
reply to kfashbur
There is an alternative -- The motorola 2310. It is essentially a VDSL2 version of the Motorola 2210

But this modem supports internet only with a dynamic IP- no U-Verse VoIP, no U-Verse IPTV, and no U-Verse static IPs

kfashbur
Premium
Carmel, IN
reply to trparky
I'm not going to pretend to understand the whole double-NAT issue, but what little research I just did indicates that the wireless router would need to be bridged, not the modem. I can disable NAT and DHCP on my Netgear router. Would that be sufficient? Would I also need to disable the firewall on the Netgear?

Thank you.

kfashbur
Premium
Carmel, IN
reply to ILpt4U
Is the motorola 2310 preferable to the 2Wire? If so, why?
FYI, I do use Ooma for phone service.

Thank you.

kfashbur
Premium
Carmel, IN
reply to ILpt4U
And is the 2310 available through ATT or would I need to purchase from a 3rd party?

Thank you.

ILpt4U
Premium
join:2006-11-12
Lisle, IL
kudos:9
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
It would have to be an AT&T U-Verse supplied Moto 2310

It is essentially the same modem as the black U-Verse IPDSLAM ADSL2+ Moto 2210, but this model supports VDSL2 for WAN instead of ADSL2+

There are plenty of threads on this forum concerning the 2210