steevo22

join:2002-10-17
Fullerton, CA
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·AT&T DSL Service

2 edits

[netopia] Netopia 3347-02-1006 and Linksys VOIP adapter PAP-2

I have a Netopia 3347-02 on ATT DSL in California. It's on a PPPOE line.

I have tried to configure a Sipura Linksys SPA942 VOIP phone which connects to a remote Asterisk box. It has two extensions.

I can only get one line to register at a time. The other one times out. Sometimes both time out and later on one line will spontaneously register.

I also have a Linksys PAP-2na on the same service, and it has two lines (extensions) but only one can register. If I disable one the other one often registers. If they are both enabled sometimes one will register and sometimes not. Then one line will eventually register.

Both the phone and the pap2 are very similar Sipura software.

The Asterisk box logs show the pap2 trying to connect repeatedly but with no mailbox(username). There *is* a username for login and it does work. But somehow when the registration request gets to the asterisk box the username is gone. I cannot say this for sure is me, the guy at the voip server place sent me this, but today he admitted he has no proof it is me.

[2011-11-17 08:31:17] NOTICE[4121] chan_sip.c: Received SIP subscribe for peer without mailbox: (null)
We are starting to think this is a problem with the Netopia. This unit does not have anything about SIP on the GUI, but SIP passthrough is supposed to be enabled by default, and you have to use the CLI to configure that.

There are some posts online discussing this very problem with this hardware but no real solutions.

Has anyone seen this problem?

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
join:2000-08-06
Galt's Gulch
kudos:2

1 edit

Re: [netopia] Netopia 3347-02-1006 and Linksys VOIP adapter PAP-

I have a QWest Motorola 3347 and had to disable the firewall in it completely to get my MagicJack (VOIP) to work. Not a problem to me since I use another router/firewall in the 3347's DMZ.

Edit: Not sure why I needed to turn the 3347's firewall off since the DMZ shouldn't be affected by it but...
--
Don't feed trolls--it only makes them grow!

steevo22

Fullerton, CA

I don't think that's the same problem.

I am not willing to weasel John Galt out.

steevo22

Fullerton, CA

To test I connected my network to an alternate WAN, not using the Netopia router. The pap2 and sipura phone both connected properly and no problems.

This seems to confirm this is a Netopia problem.

public

join:2002-01-19
Santa Clara, CA
reply to steevo22

said by steevo22:

I have a Netopia 3347-02 on ATT DSL in California. It's on a PPPOE line.

SIP passthrough is supposed to be enabled by default, and you have to use the CLI to configure that.

Try disabling the sip alg functionality, and forward the relevant ports.
I have one pppoe installation using 3346n, where the modem is bridged, and routing and voip is handled by ddwrt voip. Multiple phones work normally.