spc
Search similar:

uniqs

ispepi
@rr.com

ispepi

Anon

CL to start capping

seems come monday the 21st, Centurylink starts the caps.
according to what i've heard, 1.5mb and under is 100g a month
anything above 1.5 is 200g a month.

their prism service isn't bothered by this. and neither are business customers.

what i did hear and it doesn't make sense, not all centurylink areas have the metering abilities, but these areas are still subjected to the same thing. if they don't have metered abilities, then how can they subject these areas to the same rules?

billaustin
they call me Mr. Bill
MVM
join:2001-10-13
North Las Vegas, NV

1 recommendation

billaustin

MVM

Where did you hear this, and do you have anything to back it up?

lordpuffer
Legalize It Joe!
Premium Member
join:2004-09-19
Old Town, ME

lordpuffer to ispepi

Premium Member

to ispepi
Yes, where did you hear this? If true, my Roku days have just become limited.

mooch
No Booing Allowed
join:2001-11-11
Sunbury, OH

mooch to ispepi

to ispepi
Show your source on this as I'm not buying it.
Pringlescan
join:2007-01-05
Des Moines, IA

Pringlescan to ispepi

to ispepi
Always provide a link to the source when posting info like this.
Expand your moderator at work

Boss302_1970
join:2009-12-11

Boss302_1970 to ispepi

to ispepi

Re: CL to start capping

don't know if the cap is true but i have noticed my 3-5 meg service has dropped to about 1.5 now, if this continues ill dump this as i am supposed to be getting at least 3. three diff sites show a 1.62 down as the top speed. I thought CL was going to be better then qwest. it appears that isn't the case.

tstolze
Premium Member
join:2003-08-08
O Fallon, MO

tstolze to ispepi

Premium Member

to ispepi
So it's going to start on the 21st????

No other users have posted here or the Facebook page........ No warning, no notice in the bills just received.....Yep I think we have a troll......

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium Member
join:2005-03-14
Woodstock, CT

ptrowski

Premium Member

You never know. Some big announcements on dslr have come from anonymous users. Don't discount it yet.

scdm
@mycingular.net

scdm to ispepi

Anon

to ispepi
This was just confirmed by online tech support. They said the information would be on the century link website Monday after it takes effect. My Internet crashes here in mc when I try to stream anything. It is being called a widespread outage. I doubt it is a coincidence.
davidpaj
join:2002-04-22

davidpaj to ispepi

to ispepi
I just talked with tech support, they hadn't heard of any such thing, but let me ask. I run a home business, can a residental address get business class service? I do video editing for a living... I honestly would need to be cap free if this happened.
kiknwing
join:2010-12-13
Ogden, UT

kiknwing

said by davidpaj:

I just talked with tech support, they hadn't heard of any such thing, but let me ask. I run a home business, can a residental address get business class service? I do video editing for a living... I honestly would need to be cap free if this happened.

Yes you can get business class internet service at a residential address.
davidpaj

davidpaj

How does one do this? Just ask? Anybody got any pricing?

Jason3
@ecatel.net

Jason3

Anon

I'd really like to follow this topic about possible capping so if the topic is going to continue to deviate it might be best to start a new thread. This thread is about possible capping and not finding pricing for business circuits.

To answer your question, just call?
said by davidpaj:

How does one do this? Just ask? Anybody got any pricing?

ispepi
@rr.com

ispepi to ispepi

Anon

to ispepi
CenturyLink High-Speed Internet connects customers to the people, things and information important to them. Whether downloading music or photos, watching videos or TV shows online, e-mailing or any number of other activities, CenturyLink High-Speed Internet, is fast, reliable, and full of features to help customers navigate the Internet.

The majority of CenturyLink High-Speed Internet customers make great use of their high-speed service and comply with the CenturyLink High-Speed Internet Service Agreement. An extremely small percentage use CenturyLink High-Speed Internet excessively, or at such extreme high volumes, that they violate the terms of their CenturyLink High-Speed Internet Subscriber Agreement. While this high volume use is very rare, CenturyLink makes it a point to talk to these customers and help them find a high-speed Internet solution to better meet their needs.

Beginning November 21, 2011, the CenturyLink EUP policy will be updated to include the following "bulleted" changes:

Policy will now provide download usage "Limits" based on customer purchased HSI speed.

Customers purchasing service at speeds of 1.5Mbps and below, have a usage limit of 150 Gigabytes (GB) of download volume per month.

Customers purchasing service at speeds greater than 1.5Mbps, have a limit of250GB in download volume per month.

Policy applies to Residential HSI customers and is only enforced in the "downstream" (from internet to customer) direction.

Business Class lines are exempt from the download "limits" but will still be subject to EUP policy compliance and future updates.

Not all CenturyLink regions have metering capabilities but the EUP policy will be enforced as required manually for all CenturyLink regions.

All customers should have 30 calendar days between their notifications. The enforcement will be applied via a 3 stage process for compliance notifications/walled garden message to disconnection notice within 12 month period.

CenturyLink PRISM video traffic is not included in the limit
There are no overage charges or metering fees for usage as part of the Policy

Additional information will be posted on Centurylink.com this Monday.
»www.centurylink.com/Pages/AboutU···agement/

This is what was sent to me.
ispepi

ispepi

Anon

there's way too many open questions with this. but will have to wait and see if this is true. I checked the link, it reads under construction.

if this is true, they want to cap users. most rural area's can't get over 1.5 to start with from a lot of stuff i've read. what about all of the bandwidth exhausts? some area's seem to be in these since the start of the year. tsk tsk tsk
ArizonaSteve
join:2004-01-31
Apache Junction, AZ

ArizonaSteve to ispepi

to ispepi
>This is what was sent to me.
So who sent you that?
Expand your moderator at work
davidpaj

davidpaj to ispepi

to ispepi

Re: CL to start capping

Lets use common sense here. A company would give notice before making changes like this. We would be given a chance to adjust our usage habits. If you do a google search this thread is the only place this is talked about. Maybe I'm wrong, but something doesn't seem right here.
WhereIsIt
join:2011-11-19
Littleton, CO

WhereIsIt to ispepi

to ispepi
Crap! hope this isn't true. I just signed up with Centurylink.

I could have gotten a faster speed at a lower price with Comcast, but didn't do it because CL didn't have a cap and Comcast does.

I doubt I would go over a 250 gig cap the way I use things right now, but I hate having it hanging over my head.

Will be watching this closely. I might end up taking advantage of the 30 day money back guarantee.
TheMayor
join:2002-05-09

1 edit

TheMayor to ispepi

to ispepi
Looks like this is true, except it looks like it starts in Feb 2012

»qwest.centurylink.com/in ··· eup.html

CenturyLink is announcing the following Excessive Usage Policy (EUP), which will become effective in February 2012:

CenturyLink's EUP applies to all residential high speed Internet customers and is only enforced in the downstream (from Internet to customer) direction. Video services provided by CenturyLink PRISMT TV are not subject to the usage limits. The policy has the following usage limits per calendar month:
Customers purchasing service at speeds of 1.5Mbps and below, have a usage limit of 150 Gigabytes (GB) of download volume per month.
Customers purchasing service at speeds greater than 1.5Mbps, have a limit of 250GB in download volume per month.
There are no overage charges or metering fees for usage as part of the Policy.

It looks like this is for "download" only & upload doesn't have a limit or is counted towards the download

toby
Troy Mcclure
join:2001-11-13
Seattle, WA

toby to ispepi

to ispepi
"Customers purchasing service at speeds of 1.5Mbps and below, have a usage limit of 150 Gigabytes (GB) of download volume per month."

hahahahahahahahahahahahaa, I wish one day it was possible for me to reach that limit, and that speed.
I guess we're lucky they greatly oversell.

"Q: If I am found to exceed my usage limit, what are my options?
A: Residential HSI customers purchasing 1.5 Mbps service or lower may choose to reduce their
monthly data usage, upgrade their speed to a residential service with a higher data limit if
available, or upgrade their service to a business grade data service."

'Upgrade their speed'. Oh they like to joke.

I wonder if the price for life contracts we went into affect this.
zevus
join:2010-11-29
Chandler, TX

zevus to ispepi

to ispepi
lol, that's not a change they can implement whenever they want.

oh, it's monday, now you all have bandwidth caps.

you'd need at least 30 days warning. i haven't gotten any.

re: FCC

not even including the fact that we've entered into a contract that didnt include bandwidth caps. although i'm sure there's something in there about how they can change it up with 30 days warning (during which period we'd be able to cancel w/o early termination fees and what not)

tstolze
Premium Member
O Fallon, MO

tstolze to ispepi

Premium Member

to ispepi
It is pointing to downloads only, for those of us that do a decent amount of upload at this time it looks to have no effect. It sucks for the Netflix users or recent Dish users that are able to get Blockbuster for $10 a month with movies by mail included....

Hate to say, this will likely push me to Charter, yes they have caps, but the option of having access to 3-5 up and 15-100 down is looking better than ever now....
kiknwing
join:2010-12-13
Ogden, UT

kiknwing to ispepi

to ispepi
This now coupled with them terminating my residential voip service is going to push me over to comcast. Come Monday, if I can't reach a suitable deal with the loyalty dept my next call will be to comcast.

tstolze
Premium Member
O Fallon, MO

tstolze

Premium Member

said by kiknwing:

This now coupled with them terminating my residential voip service is going to push me over to comcast. Come Monday, if I can't reach a suitable deal with the loyalty dept my next call will be to comcast.

I will be waiting until I receive "official" notice, so CTL is sure of why I am leaving.
Technicholas
Premium Member
join:2010-11-11
West Des Moines, IA

Technicholas

Premium Member

I've been with Qwest for 9 years now for DSL "only thing available" and if they cap my bandwidth bad things will happen....

EmoHobo
join:2010-07-16

EmoHobo to ispepi

to ispepi
Am I going to hit this cap if I have 8 megs just by playing games online and watching youtube? Because that's basically all I do.

tstolze
Premium Member
O Fallon, MO

tstolze

Premium Member

said by EmoHobo:

Am I going to hit this cap if I have 8 megs just by playing games online and watching youtube? Because that's basically all I do.

My family averages 90-100 gigs every month. A good portion of this is an almost continuous stream of data/images being uploaded to my weather website, with one file updated every 5 seconds, and webcam images updated each minuted, along with many others @ 5 minute intervals.

We have 4 in our house with everyone using the net freely. I believe the only way one would hit the cap is with streaming video, or other sources like newsgroups or other forms of file sharing.

EmoHobo
join:2010-07-16

EmoHobo to ispepi

to ispepi
Well then I'm not too worried because it's all basically just a single computer user with the occasional cell phone or lap top.