spc
Search similar:

uniqs

EmoHobo
join:2010-07-16

EmoHobo to ispepi

to ispepi

Re: CL to start capping

Oh wait, Comcast had this cap in place? I had Comcast for like 5 years until I moved and they weren't available in the area and I had to get CL. I never went over on Comcast, so I guess I shouldn't worry about CL adding this.

herb77
join:2005-02-23
Fort Myers, FL

1 edit

herb77 to ispepi

to ispepi
I knew this day would come as soon as they started this Prism crap. I used 80 GB last week.

GeekJedi
RF is Good For You
Premium Member
join:2001-06-21
Mukwonago, WI
ARRIS TM1602
Apple AirPort Extreme (2013)
Ooma Telo

GeekJedi to ispepi

Premium Member

to ispepi
Gotta be honest, while I'm not a big fan of caps, I've never come close to 250GB. I stream video all the time to two TV's (using Hulu Plus and Netflix) use VoIP phones, and my wife often VPN's into her desktop at work. I think in my biggest month I used just under 150GB and that was counted up and down.

I'm not too worried about it yet, though it does suck to have to "worry" about it each month.

FarmerBob
join:2000-12-21
Littleton, CO

FarmerBob to ispepi

to ispepi
No. He means CL is now "crap". Not cap.

Hazy Arc
join:2006-04-10
Greenwood, SC

1 recommendation

Hazy Arc to GeekJedi

to GeekJedi
While I agree that the vast majority of us aren't going to touch the 250GB cap (if this is indeed true), it's still bad business to "remedy" your countless bandwidth exhaust issues by putting the burden on the consumer with a bandwidth cap. Rather than investing into more infrastructure, you take the easy way out.

All I've got to say is - they had better provide a bandwidth meter that works. I don't pay my electricity bill from a blind guess of my consumption - it's laid out in black and white exactly how much I've used.

FarmerBob
Littleton, CO
Calix 716GE-I
Netgear Orbi RBK853
Netgear RAXE500

FarmerBob to ispepi

to ispepi

I KNEW IT!!

What with all the regional outages and forthright techs saying that hardware and software was being installed in the DSLAMs. The "rumor" comes true. And that explains my and my neighbors crappy service since our early Summer outage and the same across the country.

Time to move on. I hate when this happens.

tstolze
Premium Member
join:2003-08-08
O Fallon, MO

tstolze

Premium Member

said by FarmerBob:

What with all the regional outages and forthright techs saying that hardware and software was being installed in the DSLAMs. The "rumor" comes true. And that explains my and my neighbors crappy service since our early Summer outage and the same across the country.

Time to move on. I hate when this happens.

Not defending this company, there is no excuse for the bandwidth issues it's customers have been experiencing.

They have a very robust nationwide fiber network, the issue seems to be what is feeding the Central Office's or Remote Terminals.

Caps will not fix bandwidth issues, investment will.....
nonymous (banned)
join:2003-09-08
Glendale, AZ

nonymous (banned) to Technicholas

to Technicholas

said by Technicholas:

I've been with Qwest for 9 years now for DSL "only thing available" and if they cap my bandwidth bad things will happen....

Ma Bell, UsWest, Qwest and Centurylink now.

What bad thing broadband over power line takes them over?

FarmerBob
Littleton, CO
Calix 716GE-I
Netgear Orbi RBK853
Netgear RAXE500

1 recommendation

FarmerBob to tstolze

to tstolze

Re: I KNEW IT!!

said by tstolze:

Not defending this company, there is no excuse for the bandwidth issues it's customers have been experiencing.

They have a very robust nationwide fiber network, the issue seems to be what is feeding the Central Office's or Remote Terminals.

Caps will not fix bandwidth issues, investment will.....

Correct there is no excuse. And it is something that is going on at the CO's. That's my whole point. Which seems to be validated daily.

I was with them and had a lot to do with the divestiture of MaBell to USWest. Left before Qwest, but Phil Anschutz got the go ahead to merge because he promised to connect the upper Rocky Mountain and Northwest areas (USWest's 14 state region) with the big fiber line that runs through the South. But a few month after the merger he sold off his railroads and the right-of-way to build the fiber network. So what fiber network you're talking about, I'm not sure of. But we don't have it here in Colorado. And whatever CL is doing is the cause of the outages and bandwidth issues which is curiously timely. It's happening all across the country with the same reported results in every market they move through. It's reminiscent of alien attack movies. And I seriously doubt that they will invest anymore than they really have to. Been there and did not see it being done.

Anyway, I'm going to Comcast on the 29th. So it's a "mootish" point for me. Glad I sold my USWest stock when I left at 59 (now 6.83). Don't see much investing. More like a land grab. CL = The Evil Alien Horde.
Expand your moderator at work
Poguemahone0
join:2010-05-27
united state

Poguemahone0 to ispepi

to ispepi

Cool! That means I can download like one game a month from Steam without worrying that my cap will be eaten up. Ugh.
Pringlescan
join:2007-01-05
Des Moines, IA

Pringlescan to ispepi

to ispepi
Question is will this be a "soft" cap or a "hard" cap?

ispepi
@rr.com

ispepi to ispepi

Anon

to ispepi
noticed this morning, the page had been empty all weekend. now it contains some information.
»www.centurylink.com/Page ··· agement/

funny thing is, i don't recall a 30 day notice being sent out.
like other have said, investment is what will help cure the exhausts, not capping. problem is, the company answers to wall street.

billaustin
they call me Mr. Bill
MVM
join:2001-10-13
North Las Vegas, NV

billaustin

MVM

According to the page you linked:

Takes effect in February 2012.
Applies to Residential Accounts.
Has no Overage fees.
Users MAY get disconnected for repeated violations.

So far, it seems to me to be a big fuss over something that will affect a minority of the customers.
They are going to start identifying heavy users and moving them to a more expensive plan.
I don't like to see it, but many of the ISP's already do this.

codyyy
@embarqhsd.net

codyyy

Anon

so if someone does reach 250gb mark what will happen. is there any consequences or do they just shut off your dsl till the next month?

billaustin
they call me Mr. Bill
MVM
join:2001-10-13
North Las Vegas, NV

billaustin

MVM

According to the linked page, you get a warning notice. They will also try to sell you on a more expensive plan. You may get disconnected for repeated violations.

Based on the wording, it also appears to depend on the area and how heavily saturated/oversold it is.
bswoody
join:2009-10-25
Colorado Springs, CO

bswoody to ispepi

to ispepi
Nothing to worry about, Or if it is call your cable company!!!!!!!! oh wait they cap too. Get over it already

lordpuffer
Legalize It Joe!
Premium Member
join:2004-09-19
Old Town, ME
Nokia XS-110G-A
Linksys Velop MX5300

lordpuffer to billaustin

Premium Member

to billaustin
said by billaustin:

According to the page you linked:

Takes effect in February 2012.
Applies to Residential Accounts.
Has no Overage fees.
Users MAY get disconnected for repeated violations.

So far, it seems to me to be a big fuss over something that will affect a minority of the customers.
They are going to start identifying heavy users and moving them to a more expensive plan.
I don't like to see it, but many of the ISP's already do this.

It's going to affect me.....I like to watch a lot of stuff over my Roku.

FarmerBob
Littleton, CO
Calix 716GE-I
Netgear Orbi RBK853
Netgear RAXE500

FarmerBob to Pringlescan

to Pringlescan
said by Pringlescan:

Question is will this be a "soft" cap or a "hard" cap?

Rumor has it that they have always had a "soft" cap. Or so I have been told by the TTU guys. So I would imagine that this would be a hard cap.
MacSto
join:2011-07-26
Newton, NJ

MacSto to ispepi

to ispepi
Just talked to a tech support agent. I used 25gb in about 36 hours. Looks like I'm canceling my service, screw caps.

bandit8623
join:2004-09-08
Minneapolis, MN

bandit8623 to ispepi

to ispepi
never like to see caps, but its for the download only, which is 2x better than what comcast does.. adds upload and dl against the cap.

clones
join:2005-04-18
Ankeny, IA

clones

As a country we keep dropping further behind. Why don't we concentrate on building a infrastructure that can handle the data instead of concentrating on how to limit people on what they can use? I really thought what centurylink was building and becoming was going to be a breath of fresh air to the industry. Instead they implement practices already done by other large companies and become just another provider.
joe_h
join:2010-05-26
Las Cruces, NM

joe_h to ispepi

to ispepi
So I'm a just a bit confused. I signed up with Qwest a week before the transition, and I'm currently under a 2-yr agreement with 40/20 service. If they now change the terms of agreement, can I break the contract? And how can they move me to a faster service plan? I'm already at the top speed they have, and I don't believe they have a business plan here....
TheMayor
join:2002-05-09

TheMayor

All areas should have a business plan. If it's what I'm thinking, it would be the rate that is charged to a business for the same service.
firedrakes
join:2009-01-29
Arcadia, FL

firedrakes

man. when they said i was able to get bonded 25MB dsl. i was happy as hell due to the fact i could stream content while gaming and such. seeing i dislike company charging for a dvr. and catch up on shows i miss. another big thing is vudu and netflix with HD content

herb77
join:2005-02-23
Fort Myers, FL

herb77 to Pringlescan

to Pringlescan
Sounds like a soft cap to me.
herb77

herb77 to lordpuffer

to lordpuffer
I know what you mean, I watch everything on my roku.
Expand your moderator at work