Premium Member
join:2003-08-08
O Fallon, MO

tstolze to ispepi

Premium Member

to ispepi

Re: CL to start capping

To the anon poster " I have ate my words....you are correct"

To everyone here in the CTL forums, it has been a pleasure trying to help everyone. Caps are here, let's hope this company that claims to be proactive with network congestion starts doing what their site states.

I have my Charter modem ordered, it will be delivered tomorrow or Wednesday. I am gone, I stayed and worked with the slower uploads(10/768) due to no caps. The caps will not effect our household, we use 90-100 gigs a month. We do a bit of HD video processing and uploading, with Charter our uploads times will be cut by ~6X, our plan will be 30/4 plus speedboost depending on network traffic. We will save ~$30 a month after the promotional period.

mooch
No Booing Allowed
join:2001-11-11
Sunbury, OH

1 recommendation

mooch

To original poster, thanks for the heads up.

Due to no back up link on your original post, I definitely had my doubts...I apologize for expressing those doubts

I'm a new customer that just signed up a few weeks ago. When Centurylink called to ask if I was interested, they were downright giddy about CL not having any caps. Looks like CL can now say bye-bye to that marketing ploy.

FarmerBob
join:2000-12-21
Littleton, CO
Calix 716GE-I
Netgear Orbi RBK853
Netgear RAXE500

FarmerBob

said by mooch:

To original poster, thanks for the heads up.

Due to no back up link on your original post, I definitely had my doubts...I apologize for expressing those doubts

I'm a new customer that just signed up a few weeks ago. When Centurylink called to ask if I was interested, they were downright giddy about CL not having any caps. Looks like CL can now say bye-bye to that marketing ploy.

For those late to the party . . . Looks like this heads up started the ball rolling . . .

»CenturyLink is Imposing Usage Caps [133] comments

toby
Troy Mcclure
join:2001-11-13
Seattle, WA

1 recommendation

toby to bandit8623

to bandit8623
said by bandit8623:

never like to see caps, but its for the download only, which is 2x better than what comcast does.. adds upload and dl against the cap.

This is how things start though.

After all, one slap in the face is way better than two slaps in the face....

Then people start saying "its not two slaps, it only one"

Rob_
Premium Member
join:2008-07-16
Mary Esther, FL

Rob_

Premium Member

UGH..I'm staying with Cox. Thanks, CEO's for screwing up america. Next, all residential services will be replaced with business only. hence the caps and crap.

bandit8623
join:2004-09-08
Minneapolis, MN

bandit8623 to toby

to toby
haha so true!
fluttershy
join:2011-11-23

fluttershy to ispepi

to ispepi
Overview
CenturyLink High-Speed Internet connects customers to the people, things and information important to them. Whether downloading music or photos, watching videos or TV shows online, e-mailing or any number of other activities, CenturyLink High-Speed Internet, is fast, reliable, and full of features to help customers navigate the Internet.

The majority of CenturyLink High-Speed Internet customers make great use of their high-speed service and comply with the CenturyLink High-Speed Internet Service Agreement. An extremely small percentage use CenturyLink High-Speed Internet excessively, or at such extreme high volumes, that they violate the terms of their CenturyLink High-Speed Internet Subscriber Agreement. While this high volume use is very rare, CenturyLink makes it a point to talk to these customers and help them find a high-speed Internet solution to better meet their needs.

Beginning November 21, 2011, the CenturyLink EUP policy will be updated to include the following "bulleted" changes:

Policy will now provide download usage "Limits" based on customer purchased HSI speed.
Customers purchasing service at speeds of 1.5Mbps and below, have a usage limit of 150 Gigabytes (GB) of download volume per month.
Customers purchasing service at speeds greater than 1.5Mbps, have a limit of 250GB in download volume per month.
Policy applies to Residential HSI customers and is only enforced in the "downstream" (from internet to customer) direction.
Business Class lines are exempt from the download "limits" but will still be subject to EUP policy compliance and future updates.
Not all CenturyLink regions have metering capabilities but the EUP policy will be enforced as required manually for all CenturyLink regions.
All customers should have 30 calendar days between their notifications. The enforcement will be applied via a 3 stage process for compliance notifications/walled garden message to disconnection notice within 12 month period.
CenturyLink PRISM video traffic is not included in the limit
There are no overage charges or metering fees for usage as part of the Policy
Q&A Posted on Centurylink.com
Q: When does this policy become effective?

A: The CenturyLink excessive use policy is effective as of February 2012.
Q: How much data usage is included in my CenturyLink High Speed Internet service?

A: Residential CenturyLink HSI service customers purchasing speeds up to 1.5Mbps or less are allowed 150 Gigabytes (GB) of downstream data usage for each calendar month. Residential CenturyLink High Speed Internet service customers purchasing speeds greater than 1.5Mbps have a limit of 250GB of downstream data usage for each calendar month.
Q: Will CTL charge a fee if I go over in a month or am I charged per byte I download?

A: No, at this time, there are no overage fees or charges for usage.
Q: Does this policy apply to business grade data and HSI services?

A: No. This policy only applies to residential HSI subscribers. It does not apply to business grade customers.
Q: What is considered “normal” data usage on the Internet?

A: Customers’ monthly usage varies widely based on how customers use their high speed internet connection. Median consumer usage is approximately 7GB per month with most customers having downstream usage in the range of between 1 to 30 Gigabytes per month.
Q: What is considered “excessive” or “high volume” use?

A: In any given month, less than 0.5% (one half of one percent) – of customers approach these listed limits. This small group of customers is on the extreme margin, downloading 30-1,000 times the amount of data compared to a normal customer in a month – crossing into business grade / commercial-grade usage. This high usage would equate to millions of emails, tens of thousands of photos or MP3 files and hundreds of hours of streaming videos.
Q: Will every customer that exceeds the limit be contacted?

A: Not all customers that exceed limits will be contacted.
Q: Do I have to do anything after CenturyLink contacts me about my usage?

A: CenturyLink’s notification process gives customers time to reduce their usage after we contact them. If you are warned about excessive usage, then you must take action to either migrate to a different service or reduce usage to acceptable levels.
Q: Where can I read the CenturyLink HSI Subscriber Agreement?

A: Please view the CenturyLink HSI Service Agreement at
»www.centurylink.com/Page ··· ableUse/ (Section 7(a) covers the CenturyLink HSI usage limit policy.)
Q: I am a CenturyLink PRISM TV customer and have High Speed Internet. How do these limits apply to my service?

A: Video services provided by CenturyLink PRISM are not subject to the usage limits. However, your High Speed Internet usage is subject to the policy.
Q: Does CenturyLink collect or store the applications that I download?

A: No. CenturyLink does not collect or store any usage data associated with sites visited, applications used, or the actual data or files transferred while monitoring customer usage. CenturyLink may collect the aggregate amount of usage data that customers download.
Q: Does CenturyLink include things I upload to the Internet as part of my usage activity?

A: CenturyLink collects upload and download usage per customer but only uses the downstream direction data in the usage limits. This means that uploading photos or doing backups to a site are not counted toward the usage limit, but downloads are (i.e., viewing websites, streaming music or videos, or any downloading of files, photos or videos from the internet).
Q: How is the CenturyLink HSI excessive use policy enforced?

A: For the small amount of customers who are contacted, CenturyLink will advise the customer of their excessive usage, explain what the limits are of their current service, and allow them time to reduce their usage. Customers also have the option to upgrade to a business-class service if they choose. Service may be disconnected after the third month of excessive usage in a rolling 12-month period.
Q: What happens if CenturyLink contacts me to discuss my excessive Internet usage and I continue to use my CenturyLink HSI service at extremely high volumes?

A: If you and a CenturyLink representative are not able to find a solution to better meet your high volume high-speed Internet needs, CenturyLink will continue to monitor your CenturyLink HSI usage. If your usage remains excessive and continues to violate the terms of the CenturyLink HSI Service Agreement, CenturyLink reserves the right to terminate your HSI service.
Q: If I am found to exceed my usage limit, what are my options?

A: Residential HSI customers purchasing 1.5 Mbps service or lower may choose to reduce their monthly data usage, upgrade their speed to a residential service with a higher data limit if available, or upgrade their service to a business grade data service. Residential customers purchasing HSI service at speeds greater than 1.5 Mbps may choose to reduce their monthly data usage or upgrade their service to a business grade data service.
Q: Will the data usage limits ever change?

A: CenturyLink will continue to monitor its network and may periodically make updates to this policy. Any changes to the policy will be posted on the Centurylink.com website.
Q: Does CenturyLink include network overhead in my usage?

A: All network protocols and network connections will have some overhead, some of which will be included in your usage data. It is a very small percentage of the total and is included in all customers’ data and the overall population usage statistics, which are used in determining usage limits.
Q: Is the data per 30 days or per calendar month?

A: Currently monthly limits are per calendar month.
Q: If I am contacted due to excessive usage, am I allowed to switch to Business class HSI or a higher speed and remain a customer?

A: Yes, if customers have not reached the stage of disconnection, switching to a business class product will remove them from ongoing Excessive Usage warnings in future months. If customers have not reached the stage of disconnection, they will also be allowed to upgrade speeds (if available) to have the next usage level (example from 1.5Mbps to 12Mbps) but please note that the usage warning level will not reset – previous warning stages will stay in place, thus exceeding the next limit will trigger the next stage of warning.
Q: Is there a usage meter?

A: Currently, customer usage history will be shown via a web-based message in select markets to customers who are contacted. An on-demand usage meter rollout is pending and will be communicated to customers when available.
Q: How do I upgrade my service if I need more bandwidth?

A: Contact a CenturyLink sales associate by phone or visit www.centurylink.com.
Q: If I do not use my monthly usage allotment, does it roll over to next month?

A: The usage allotment does not roll over from month to month.
Q: Does CenturyLink’s premium services (e.g. STARZ Play, MLB) count toward my usage?

A: These premium services and all Internet-based traffic will be included in usage data.
Q: Could my HSI service be disconnected if I am found to have exceeded the usage limits?

A: Yes. Customers who do not take the recommended actions of either reducing their usage or migrating to another service will be disconnected after multiple warnings. However, we will work with you to migrate you to a product that meets your usage needs.
Q: What is the definition of “usage” vs. “bandwidth”?

A: “Bandwidth” is the available connection speed of your HSI service. For example, in some locations CenturyLink offers bandwidth speeds up to 40 Megabits per second (Mbps).
“Usage” is the volume of data transferred over your HSI connection. The speed is still there for you, but “usage” reflects the amount of data you download over your HSI Internet connection. Usage is described the same as the storage of files on a hard drive, USB Key, etc., as Kilobyte, Megabyte or Gigabyte (1,024 Megabytes (MB) = 1 Gigabytes (GB)).

Q: I suspect someone is using my CenturyLink HSI service over Wi-Fi.

A: Wi-Fi (wireless Internet) is a great way for CenturyLink HSI customers to connect multiple computers and maintain mobility with their computer equipment. CenturyLink recommends that CenturyLink HSI customers who use wireless Internet make sure their networks are secure. If you are concerned that someone may be using your CenturyLink HSI wireless Internet connection, please visit »qwest.centurylink.com/in ··· ess.html to learn how to secure it. It is your responsibility to secure your home network and any usage will be attributed to your service.
Q: Could spyware, viruses or ”bots” on my computer cause my CenturyLink HSI usage to be classified as excessive?

A: It is extremely unlikely that malware (malicious software) could generate data usage levels that would meet the usage limit. However, if you feel your computer has a malware infection, please visit »www.CenturyLink.com/inte ··· dex.html to learn how to protect your computer.
Q: Our children each have an MP3 player, do online gaming and are frequently on the Internet. Could this usage be termed excessive?

A: It’s not likely that the vast majority of households with this type of usage would reach limits.
Although file sizes and streaming rates vary widely depending on quality, these limits equate to downloading 15,000-80,000 high resolution photos or MP3s; or watching hundreds of hours of streaming shows per month.
It is important to know that all data usage for a household is included in the aggregate monthly usage data. This may include, for example, 1GB of web surfing, 10GB of video streaming, 3GB of photo downloads – which in this case would equate to 14GB of downloaded data in a month for the line.
Q: We have multiple VoIP phone service over our residential CenturyLink HSI connection, often with multiple simultaneous calls. Could this be considered excessive usage?

A: Multiple lines of VoIP phones rarely would be considered excessive usage; however the usage includes all traffic being downloaded over the line.
Q: We often watch movies through an online streaming website. Could that use be considered excessive?

A: Depending on the quality of the streaming, it is possible to watch multiple movies per day and still not have reached excessive usage limits. However, video (streaming and downloading) is a large consumer of usage and extreme amounts of video data consumption may cause a customer to reach the usage limits.
Q: I work from home and am connected to a corporate VPN five days per week. Could that usage be determined as excessive?

A: For the vast majority of VPN and remote desktop technologies, even a full-time, work-at-home employee would rarely exceed usage limits of the CenturyLink HSI service.
Q: I own a graphics design business that requires me to transfer extremely large files back and forth to clients each day. Could that usage be deemed excessive?

A: Only download direction is counted for CenturyLink usage limits. Most likely your usage would still be considered normal depending on volume, under the terms of CenturyLink HSI Service Agreement, even with large files. If you’re using a residential service to operate your business, consider changing to a business class HSI product.
Q: What if I have game systems, many laptops, tablets and VoIP all using the same connection, will all the usage be counted?

A: Yes, any device that is using the connection will have its downstream data counted in the total. The usage on a connection does not distinguish between where the data is going in the home – only that it passes through the line.
Q: Won’t operating system and application updates, virus definitions, and other streams that I did not manually initiate count toward my usage?

A: Yes. These data usage types will count toward the CenturyLink usage limits. However, this type of data is usually a very small amount of the total and will make up a fraction of the data usage limit.
Q: Do webcams and services such as Skype count toward the usage limit?

A: Yes. Data usage associated with webcams and services such as Skype that require data streams to be downloaded over the CenturyLink HSI service will count toward the usage limit. Note that steady state and/or long-duration viewing of other webcam streams may add up quickly over a one month timeframe. Video traffic in a home coming from a camera going upstream to the Internet is not included in the usage for that line.
Q: Will I be notified if I am coming close to reaching the usage limit for my HSI service?

A: Currently, there is no advance warning provided. However, when you are found to have exceeded the usage limit, CenturyLink will contact you and advise you of the usage limits and allow time to reduce usage or migrate you to an alternative product that better meets your needs.
Q: How do I upgrade my HSI service to a faster service or a business grade data service?

A: Visit CenturyLink’s website at www.centurylink.com for more information about contacting CenturyLink Customer Care.
Call Center Q&A
Q: What is my usage?

A Currently, CenturyLink does not offer an external tool for the customer to monitor their usage.
Q: I thought DSL was unlimited? -- I'm paying for a 7 Mbps line, why can't I use it as much as I want? -- I thought DSL was dedicated to me, and that this was a cable problem?

A Our excessive use policy is in place to ensure that our high-speed Internet network is being used in ways for which it was designed in order to deliver an optimal Internet experience for our customers.
and/or

As demand for Internet capacity grows, ISPs face increasing pressure to charge usage-based fees in order to ensure that network traffic is managed properly, as certain wireless carriers have done for some time. Due to increasing demand for Internet capacity and a federal government requirement to recover network costs from end users, CenturyLink has modified its policy regarding excessive use.

Q: I'm the parent and I have 4 kids in my house. I don’t believe I am causing this overage. How can I control our usage or find out where the usage is coming from?

A Even a highly connected family is very unlikely to have excessive usage. File and video streaming/downloading is the largest contributor to extreme usage. Everything that connects into your HSI line will be counted against the usage.
Q: How can I watch my usage? How do I know when I've reached the threshold?

A CenturyLink is working on an external tool that will allow customers to monitor their usage. This tool will be available at a future date. Until the tool becomes available for customer access, all requests will need to be made by calling HSI repair support.
Because we are a customer-focused company, CenturyLink works closely with customers who have been identified as excessive users in order to give them every opportunity to either reduce their usage or migrate to an alternative high-speed Internet service such as our business-class Internet services.

Our process includes 3 different communications to customers (this may be electronic notifications via a walled garden message, a call to the customers, or a letter) who are identified as having excessive use per the terms of their subscriber agreement.

These customers are able to contact our support department to discuss usage and receive assistance. Options may include migrating to an alternative broadband product. In other words, if we get to that point, we will work with you first rather than discontinue your HSI Service.

We do not have overage or fees for usage at this time. Our excessive use policy is designed to ensure that our network is being used as it was designed in order to deliver the most optimal Internet experience for our customers.

Q: Can I pay more for higher usage level on HSI?

A Customers have options to upgrade their service, which would increase their usage limits, if they apply:
Customers with speeds of 1.5 Mbps or less can upgrade their speed (if available).
Customers with greater than 1.5 Mbps speed usage limits increase to 250 Gigabytes per month. Customers may want to consider upgrading their residential line to a business class of service if consistently exceed the limits.
Q: Can I switch to another ISPInternet Service Provider while still using CenturyLink HSI?

A You certainly may change your ISPInternet Service Provider; however, you are still bound by the same terms of service in your CenturyLink HSI Subscriber Agreement and you will need to reduce your monthly bandwidth usage.
Q: Can I buy another CenturyLink HSI line and split my usage across them?

A Yes, but each line will still fall under the terms and conditions of the CenturyLink HSI Subscriber Agreement.
Q: Can I speak to your manager?

A Yes, you can speak with a manager, but let me try to assist you first. Follow current escalation path if customer insists on speaking with a manager.
Q: Can I log in to see my usage on CenturyLink.com like I do with my wireless minutes? Or can you email me when I reach the usage limit?

A CenturyLink does not offer this type of service for CenturyLink HSI customers at this time. I can give you general guidelines of certain types of download files that will contribute to high usage:
The monthly usage on your line is a combination of the volume that is used by all applications and devices in your home. For example, in a month a household may watch 10 movies at 2GB each, download 100 photos at 10MB (1GB equals 1,024 MB) each and browse the web during the month; all added together would equal around 26GB.
Q: How are you gathering this data? Or are you looking at my applications?

A We will not look into the content of your email, websites visited or other communications for marketing purposes without first informing you and giving you a choice about whether you want us to do so.
If customer needs more information, refer them to the online FAQ document (CTLHelp.com).

Q: How many notices will I get?

A Our process includes 3 different communications to customers (this may be electronic notifications via a walled garden message, a call to the customers, or a letter) who are identified as having excessive use per the terms of their subscriber agreement under the enforcement.

dondude
join:2005-09-15
Lehigh Acres, FL

dondude to ispepi

to ispepi
I just moved. I was stuck with millenicom wireless using the sprint network. Had a cap of 50gb up and down combined. 250 gb down is gonna be hard to hit for me and 90% of users. Sort of like 90% paying the bill for the 10% bandwith hogs.

Drex5000
@qwest.net

Drex5000

Anon

Yeah, I sort of agree. There are people who are downloading terabytes of torrents--ripped off movies, ps3/xbox images, etc., who get on here and complain about a cap. I think it's reasonable to apply some sort of cap--now whether 250gb is the appropriate level I don't really know. It's probably not as much as some think it is, but someone earlier in the thread said they download 80gb in a week, but I'd wonder what he/she is downloading to hit that level of data. My guess is that Centurylink has researched it and found that very few hit 250gb (I'd bet less than 1%); otherwise they'd be looking at adding more work to their plate than the cap would be worth to the company.
Drex
Poguemahone0
join:2010-05-27
united state

Poguemahone0 to ispepi

to ispepi
I really wish people would stop throwing around torrents as justification for caps.

I use a lot of bandwidth on my 3MB connection and all of it is completely legal. Steam, Netflix sometimes, streaming video required for school... it all adds up, especially in today's world where we're all bandwidth hogs in our own ways. Even a grandma with her Facebook and email is, what with HD pictures and videos she can view of her family.

The torrent thing is people just clinging to the old stereotype of a heavy internet user to rationalize a service imposing caps because things like Netflix are eating into profits.

Drex5000
@qwest.net

Drex5000

Anon

Well, I think if everyone were, as you say, bandwidth hogs then it would be impossible to apply a cap at a level that you find potentially threatening--250GB in this case. My main point was that the users hitting beyond that level must be minute; otherwise it would be unmanageable to enforce on a case by case basis, which appears the way they're going to handle it.

I sort of think the old lady with Facebook is kind of a weak example because I don't really see her getting capped with her "hd pictures," etc. I actually think the torrent example is more widespread than ever, especially as it requires almost know technical skill anymore to achieve downloading vast amounts stuff, much of which is in the gigabyte range.

I don't want to see caps at all; it just makes sense, and it probably will hit the users I described rather than the straw man example of granny watching little timmy at his piano recital in high definition while streaming Sons of Anarchy on 3 different devices 24/7 for a month.
MacSto
join:2011-07-26
Newton, NJ

MacSto

Who cares how we are using our bandwidth? That's our choice. The issue is that a service which had no distinguished limit, may I say unlimited, is now limited. Yet we are paying the same high prices for a lesser service. That's the real issue.

Drex5000
@mycingular.net

Drex5000

Anon

I wish it were unlimited and you're right that it's not another customer's business what someone else does with their bandwidth. I guess I'm saying that bandwidth itself is not unlimited so it makes since that with a finite amount of bandwidth a cap is established to stop a very small minority from eating up a disproportionate amount of data. With how pervasive torrents have become I was just speculating that those who download very high levels of data probably are those same people and not a granny downloading Murder She Wrote and Matlock in 1080p. Is 250GB the right cap? I'm not really sure, but I'll bet they've researched it and probably provided some cushion to ensure they'll be contacting a very small number of violators.
Poguemahone0
united state

1 recommendation

Poguemahone0

They really haven't. It's purely about Netflix and profits, NOT torrents and how much bandwidth they use.

People who preach the evils of torrents are stuck in 2005 before the advent of Steam and streaming media, legal media. There's so much streaming now that it eats up bandwidth, and woe be to you if you're a gamer. Completely legal Steam purchases eat up GBs upon GBs. I have a TB drive almost filled with Steam games alone. And streaming media on top of that?

And if they had researched, they'd understand caps don't stop everyone hitting the service in prime time and does zilch for congestion. Only expansion fixes congestion.

Spectral
Likes Cookies
Premium Member
join:2002-05-03
Salem, OR

Spectral

Premium Member

For me
1 General principle. The Rep who sold me on qwest, her first sales point was getting away from comcasts caps. Now I'm in a contract. Since the service is functionally not what I signed up for imo that should be cancellable without etf.
2. Nothing to do with torrents but part of why I was originally switched was so I could watch Netflix and download games from steam or mmos without ever having to worry. Otherwise I might as well be back on comcast where I had way more speed.
3. What about Directv on demand? Signed up for that service through qwest with the understanding I'd be able to watch all those movies and shows. Do they count against cap as well?
4. If they terminate service due to going over caps do you still get etf?

DataRiker
Premium Member
join:2002-05-19

2 edits

DataRiker to dondude

Premium Member

to dondude
said by dondude:

Sort of like 90% paying the bill for the 10% bandwith hogs.

Do you actually believe they have a bandwidth shortage?

Or rather the refusal to spend even a small percentage of profits on upgrades?

dondude
join:2005-09-15
Lehigh Acres, FL

dondude

According to you it must be limitless? Just saying 90% use on avg. 17gb a month. Your right we should pay for the upgrades so people can dl more than 250gb a month. I got an idea lets let those who go over 250bg pay for the upgrades. Voila I've solved all the bandwidth problems. Lol
Poguemahone0
united state

Poguemahone0 to ispepi

to ispepi
If you actually believe that 90% of people are paying the bill for bandwidth hogs, you don't understand how bills work. You also don't understand that ALL of CenturyLink's congestion problems aren't due to bandwidth hogs, it's due to overselling on a massive scale and everyone hitting the service all at once. Caps aren't going to fix that, as every other ISP with caps has proven.

And just stop with the "bandwidth hog" argument. If you are an even remotely savvy young man or woman on today's internet and not on satellite or 3G or 4G, then you are you are absolutely using a lot of bandwidth because that's just the nature of the beast.

Drex5000
@qwest.net

Drex5000

Anon

I just think that those who use a lot more should expect to pay more. I don't like that someone who downloads 24/7 regardless of what they're downloading/streaming pays the same rate as someone who doesn't use near as much. That first person is using more of a finite amount of bandwidth, and even if CL upgrades which you suggest is the solution, the bandwidth is still finite--there's just more of it to go around.

However, I don't like the paradigm they've set up where it looks like there are three tiers of use: less than 1.5, more than 1.5, and "business" class. Seems to me that the cap, if there is to be one, should be tied to the level of service. So I have 20/5 service -- my cap should be higher and I'm already paying more than someone at 12/5, so a pricing system is already in place. Then the same for 40/20. Or set up a more structured cap pricing and have like a $5 or so increase for every .25 TB or something of that nature.

Also I don't agree with the above poster that if a person just happens to be "on the internet" then you are using "a lot" of bandwidth. If someone is adept at using the internet, that doesn't mean they are using even near the same bandwidth of someone who is downloading and uploading constantly, especially if they're involved in P2P file transfers. I think ISPs will bear this out as they consistently state that about 5% of users take as much bandwidth as the other 95% COMBINED.
bilybob5
join:2007-05-08
Ar, USA

1 recommendation

bilybob5 to ispepi

to ispepi
When long time customers like tstolze leave centurylink, its bad news. Its not about the caps, I use around 25GB a week so won't be affected by the cap but its just a money grab. At&t did this a few months ago so centurylink feels they can do this also. Just like the banks started charging a monthly fee on ATM cards, it won't stop till the average person takes a stand.

The oldest trick in the book is to point finger at the minority. Its the immigrants that are taking away your jobs, its the bandwidth hogs causing all the network congestion. The network hogs were promised unlimited bandwidth, they chose to use it, what seems to be the problem?? Centurylink over sold the bandwidth and bought out all these other companies instead of improving the infrastructure so someone has to be blamed. Lets blame the so called 2%.

I am all for a corporation making money, but when the business model is that you will have to make more money than you did last quarter, every quarter, every year no matter what, something will have to give and someone will get the blame. Today its the 2% hogs, tomorrow it will be something else. Lack of competition is never a good thing and the telcos are getting to be the monopolies they once were. With all the fancy slogans and marketing techniques they will keep on screwing the consumer unless someone stops them. I guess we'll have to wait and see

DataRiker
Premium Member

3 edits

DataRiker to dondude

Premium Member

to dondude
said by dondude:

According to you it must be limitless? Just saying 90% use on avg. 17gb a month. Your right we should pay for the upgrades so people can dl more than 250gb a month. I got an idea lets let those who go over 250bg pay for the upgrades. Voila I've solved all the bandwidth problems. Lol

The people using over 250 GBs are not causing the congestion. Congestion is caused by a flood of small requests at peak usage, which caps do nothing to address.

The capacity issue beyond this amounts to pennies per gigabyte.

In fact I highly doubt CL or any provider over a hundred users is paying on a per gigabyte rate, that would be crazy.

Having spent time in SK its even more bogus for me. They have faster speeds, lower prices and no caps. Yet here in the US, this is presented as "impossible".

And lets face it, people use CL as a last resort. They were only a smidgin above the festering foul toilet known as ATT. But with one policy change they are now downgraded to festering crap filled commode.

Being from Louisiana I feel uniquely qualified on this opinion.

tstolze
Premium Member
join:2003-08-08
O Fallon, MO

tstolze to ispepi

Premium Member

to ispepi
Called and cancelled my DSL today, phone is on hold until my schedule and Charter's scheduling work out, probably around Christmas. The CSR I spoke with new nothing about the future download cap policy. I emailed her both links in the article from the front page, lets just say she was shocked.

Received my Charter modem last Wednesday, signed up for 30/4 with phone service. Here is a recent speedtest, influenced by Charter's Powerboost, on large downloads it settles in @ 30 Mb/s.

kiknwing
join:2010-12-13
Ogden, UT

kiknwing to ispepi

to ispepi
Today I had to call because they are terminating qwest residential voip service. They managed to keep me around with an offer for $45/month for unlimited home phone with 12mbps internet. If I could have got a deal close to that from comcast I would be long gone.

I don't like the cap but according to a chat online with tech support I used 80.5GB over the past 30 days so it won't impact me so much. But I do expect that cap to grow as time goes on. I only see my data usage going up.
Expand your moderator at work

Drex5000
@qwest.net

Drex5000

Anon

Re: CL to start capping

At what point would you say a user should pay more based on the bandwidth they use? Obviously it's not 250GB. What if it were 2.5TB? Not at that level? Any? What if I were downloading at my full 20Mb for 30 days 24/7 in November? Should I still pay the same as everyone else? If so, then it seems you're saying that data usage should have no impact on pricing, even though bandwidth is not an unlimited resource. Given that, some seem to be suggesting that this is just an evil corporation taking monopolistic advantage of their customers? Is that really the argument to make here? If it is, then we're just in the area of a conspiracy theory and the proponents of that argument would probably fit in perfectly with the occupy movement. I can't argue against a theory because we're in the realm of imagination. Best move for them is to quit CL and maybe they'll change the policy, even though I think the policy would hit users who use extreme amounts of bandwidth only.

DataRiker
Premium Member

DataRiker to ispepi

Premium Member

to ispepi
No reason to cap DSL ever.

DSL's self limiting potential in capacity should be enough, but if not then upgrades in a CO are usually cheap and easy.

No excuse for a Telco not to have fiber in every CO they own.
davidtheweb
join:2011-01-29
Prescott, AZ

davidtheweb to ispepi

to ispepi
Wow... just wow. And for those telling us to 'love it or leave it', we're denied the 'leave it' option unless we want to leave cyber civilization behind. CenturyLink has a monopoly in some areas, and a duopoly with Comcast in others. This is why they can afford to be slow with service or outright ignore some of the problem areas. What are you gonna do? Start your own ISP? You'd still be dependent on their lines.

This really does create interesting problems on the customer side for streaming users. And thus for streaming providers. I'd say it's high time for those people to start looking at legal options. And for us 'ordinary people' to make contact with state and federal agencies with questions about this, in the context of not having other options much of the time. We currently have a 'business friendly' Tea Party congress, but the individuals congress-critters within sometimes remember that they have voting constituents and so it might be useful to direct a *civil*, informative email to them as well. (Ranting, the fastest way to shut the information recipient's mind)
Poguemahone0
united state

Poguemahone0 to Drex5000

to Drex5000
You will never pay for a bandwidth hog in your life. And, again: this is NOT 2004-06, before the advent of digital distribution.

Congestion is not caused because a teenager up the street has uTorrent running 24/7. It's caused because his sister wants to use iTunes and Netflix Instant at the same time everybody else on the block does.

Why is this hard to comprehend?
Expand your moderator at work