1310nm Of Goodness
Premium Member
join:2003-07-08
Tulsa, OK

cob_ to Reno7

Premium Member

to Reno7

Re: I don't get why people want Tablets

Tablets are one of those things you either see the value in or you don't.

Personally, I don't think calling people idiots because they want tablets is constructive at all. That said:

I have an iPad 2. I have had an MSI Wind netbook, and use laptops and desktop computers nearly all day, and have an LCD in front of my face nearly every waking hour.

The iPad is effortless, lightweight, quickly accessible, always on, and has phenomenal battery life. I think of tablets as the next generation's newspapers, books, and TV. You just pick one up and do what you want, no opening a lid, turning it on and waiting for it to boot up, logging in, and having something sit on your lap. When you get up to do something else, you don't have to find a special place to lay it down (or as we do in my house, lid open and precariously set on the floor sideways). It's small and light, so I just set it on an end table or toss it on a couch cushion. It's the convenience factor.

Boricua
Premium Member
join:2002-01-26
Sacramuerto

Boricua

Premium Member

said by cob_:

It's small and light, so I just set it on an end table or toss it on a couch cushion. It's the convenience factor.

I use mine to surf the net and read books on my bed. It's a little difficult using a laptop in bed especially when you have to be worried about covering any vents for it to overheat. Having the HP TouchPad is so convenient and light weight. The only thing you have to worry about a tablet is sitting on them.
krazyboi
Premium Member
join:2008-06-27
Mckinney, TX

krazyboi to cob_

Premium Member

to cob_
said by cob_:

Tablets are one of those things you either see the value in or you don't.

Personally, I don't think calling people idiots because they want tablets is constructive at all. That said:

I have an iPad 2. I have had an MSI Wind netbook, and use laptops and desktop computers nearly all day, and have an LCD in front of my face nearly every waking hour.

The iPad is effortless, lightweight, quickly accessible, always on, and has phenomenal battery life. I think of tablets as the next generation's newspapers, books, and TV. You just pick one up and do what you want, no opening a lid, turning it on and waiting for it to boot up, logging in, and having something sit on your lap. It's the convenience factor.

+1.

On mines I have ebooks, games, apps for whatever I want to search (news, movies, weather, etc), and can quickly sort through my email. I can take the iPad just about anywhere and do-school, work, anytime I know I will be faced with a wait (waiting for car repairs, hospital, events, etc) and don't have to worry about plugging it into an outlet. I am using my desktop much less now because of the tablet and my wife will grab it too, unless she really needs her laptop.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
·Ziply Fiber

darcilicious

Premium Member

I've pretty much quit using my laptop (which I used in the house and when out and about) in favor of the iPad. The only time I find myself using the laptop is when I have some serious writing to do and don't feel like being tied to my desk/desktop... If there were an OpenOffice/LibreOffice app for the iPad, I'd give my laptop away.