how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Ren537

@rr.com

[TV] On-Screen Guide

Hi everyone,

Coming from a DirecTV guide, I have to say the BHN guide is absolutely awful. It pudges all the show names (for example: "Who wants to...") and doesn't stretch to my 16:9 HD resolution. The text is gigantic and the margins are bloated. The DirecTV guide favorite channel system is much better as well.

Is BHN expected to get a new guide any time soon? I can't get DirecTV in my apartment complex, I would if I could.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
join:2006-02-16
Saint Petersburg, FL
kudos:138

Do me a favor and email a picture of what you see. Soimething tells me you don't have something set right.

kdwycha

join:2003-01-30
Riverview, FL
reply to Ren537

The normal HD boxes don't have 16X9 guides I notice. My HD-DVR has 16X9 guide so it looks like it is only on the HD-DVR boxes.

tim tim tim

join:2010-08-14
Lutz, FL
kudos:2

The samsung ones do

gigahurtz
Premium
join:2001-10-20
Palm Coast, FL
reply to Ren537

The Samsung boxes seem to be the only boxes that stretch the guide.

I agree with the OP, a refresh of the guide for HD TVs would be really nice.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to Ren537

He never responded back so we'll never know I guess. I asked him for the pic so I could see exactly what he's talking about the next question was what box

Ren537

@rr.com
reply to Ren537

Here we are, sorry for the delay.

»localhostr.com/file/uiGeSg1/2011···_143.jpg

Using a Cisco Explorer 8642HDC

tim tim tim

Lutz, FL

Its set right.. Thats just the way it is at the time.

Cisco Kid

@rr.com

I have always gone with the SA and Cisco boxes as I still want a box with RF outputs and the Sams' don't have RF outputs. But, I would like the Guide to fill my HD 16:9 screen. I have never understood why the same software displays differently on different model Brand Boxes. If the Sams display full screens so should the Sams and this is something BHN should correct......

tim tim tim

Lutz, FL

Im not sure whats different about the samsungs but there kind of in there own little world. Well have issues that pop up with only the samsungs or everything but the samsungs. The samsungs dont offer PIP but DO offer the full screen guide (its just the same thing you have stretched). also, as cisco mentioned they dont have the RF port (which shouldnt really be a big deal since its an HD box)

Cisco Kid

@rr.com

I for one would just like BHN to configure the Guide to display full screen on the Cisco DVR's. I am sure a software upgrade could accomplish this upgrage. Surely this is doable

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL

said by Cisco Kid :

I for one would just like BHN to configure the Guide to display full screen on the Cisco DVR's. I am sure a software upgrade could accomplish this upgrage. Surely this is doable

Cisco I do some digging on this tomorrow but more than likely won't have anything to respond with until after the Thanksgiving holiday.
--
~All truth goes through three phases. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as self-evident. - Einstein~

Cisco Kid

@rr.com

BHNtechXpert......any update?

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL

said by Cisco Kid :

BHNtechXpert......any update?

Nosir and its not forgotten. I now have two Cisco WHDVR units to play with (the latest tiny units) and I see what you are talking about. Been kind of a crazy week.
--
~All truth goes through three phases. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as self-evident. - Einstein~

Cisco kid

@rr.com

No fair....you get to play with all the new stuff. I looked at the list of Cisco DVR's at the BHN website.....and it shows the 8700. Is that the new "tiny" Cisco DVR? What's it HD size (the 8642 comes with a 500GB HD) and is it really that much smaller?

Does it Guide cover an entire HD Flat screen TV? My guess is it does not...and again, surely the software can be upgraded so that the Cisco DVR's as do the Samsungs....fill the screen.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to Ren537

LOL nope my guide on the Cisco's is just like yours. It's high on my list to look into this specific issue. As for getting to play with all the new stuff....if you only knew LOL!!! That's why I love this job so much....

khollister

join:2010-01-10
Oviedo, FL

I too absolutely hate the guide. Aside form the widescreen issue, I hate that you can't control what channels are displayed. I have to wade through a bunch of crap I either don't subscribe to or ever watch with no way to filter it.

I agree that DirecTV has a much better guide.

gigahurtz
Premium
Palm Coast, FL
Reviews:
·Bright House
reply to Ren537

This is an issue that bugged me for quite some time and I had brought it up as well. I ended up just getting lucky and replacing all my boxes with Samsung boxes. No problems at all with any Samsung box HD-DVR or HD receivers (including the new ones that are used for WHDVR).

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to Ren537

Yes GH that will solve that issue but with the Samsung you give up PIP which is important to some. I recently swapped out my Samsung WHDVR's for the latest Cisco tiny units so I could play with them for a while and support you guys better on those boxes. I like them a lot....they are screaming fast and extremely small....I mean really small.

Cisco Kid

@rr.com

Again......with the praise for those new Cisco Boxes.....I also like new things. I do wonder since you were always a Samsung guy, how these new tiny Cisco boxes compare to the Cisco 8642's as to their speed...since you are reporting the 8700's are "screaming Fast"????

How large are the HD's in these new Cisco's? I have a 8642 that I had to position in a spot that is not the best because of its size....smaller would be good.

gigahurtz
Premium
Palm Coast, FL
reply to BHNtechXpert

Any chance an HD guide would be released like DirecTV just released?

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to Ren537

I'll snap some pics and you will see what I mean. Its the same size if not smaller than a normal digital box....

gigahurtz
Premium
Palm Coast, FL

BHNtechXpert, is there any chance BHN will update their UI on the guide? I know a lot of other providers are starting to update to HD guides for their HD boxes, any chance BHN is going to do this anytime soon?

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL

said by gigahurtz:

BHNtechXpert, is there any chance BHN will update their UI on the guide? I know a lot of other providers are starting to update to HD guides for their HD boxes, any chance BHN is going to do this anytime soon?

This is actually a constantly evolving feature...so the answer is yes. I am also working on the Cisco guide size concern several of you have raised. Having the Cisco DVR's now I understand what you are talking about.
--

gigahurtz
Premium
Palm Coast, FL
Reviews:
·Bright House

quote:
BHNtechXpert See Profile
This is actually a constantly evolving feature...so the answer is yes. I am also working on the Cisco guide size concern several of you have raised. Having the Cisco DVR's now I understand what you are talking about.

This is great news! I realize that doesn't mean any time soon but I would love to see an HD GUI on these boxes. I think the current interface has become extremely outdated. I realize many people are comfortable with it, but as you know sometimes because your comfortable with something doesn't always mean it's not time to improve it!

I had noticed the Cisco issue for quite some time now. I remember reading here on DSLR a few years back when the Samsung boxes first came out that they stretched the guide but the Cisco boxes did not. I went through a lot to get the Samsung boxes but glad I did. Not only did they stretch the guide, but they seemed much more responsive then the Cisco boxes (in my experience anyway).

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to Ren537

Let me clarify one thing... when I meant evolving feature I mean the guide in general is an ever evolving feature. We're always looking for ways to improve this as demonstrated by recent updates a couple of months ago. As for the specifics on the Cisco guide I just got started on this so as you said I have no dates on when or if that will change BUT I do understand what you are talking about now and that is half the battle.
--

Cisco kid

@rr.com

Thanks for being on the case....as to what may be done to get the Cisco DVR's Guie to fill an LCD screen as do the SamSung Boxes. BHN is always looking for constantency in their products, so maybe this issue just slipped by and has therefore not been addressed.

I am interested in the HD size in the new tiny DVR you now have....if your able to disclose that information.

Will look forward to reading your findings on the Guide.....Thanks again

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to Ren537

Okay guys I need to know which model Cisco DVR's you have with the smaller guide.

Cisco kid

@rr.com

I had the 8640; it went bad.....and now I have the 8642HDC....both displayed\Displays the Guide not filling the Screen.....

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to Ren537

Thank you...