how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Comp Cmndo

join:2003-08-12
PB Cnty, FL

D-Link DIR-632 Drops Wireless Connection

As the subject says, it drops the wireless connection from time to time. No recognizable pattern. It could be 1 hr or 2 hrs or more. I have contacted D-Link Customer Support who had me reflash the router firmware with the existing firmware version, which is the only version. It has had no effect on the problem. The only solution is to reboot the router. It never drops a wired connection.

Their only 2 devices on wireless: new HP4530S laptop with 802.11n located about 3ft from the router & an old laptop with 802.11g about 30ft away.

Router is left on 24/7 & upon initial startup of the laptop, wireless is live & it always connects. After wireless is lost, laptop can see all other routers in the neighborhood. Rebooting the laptop has no effect.

slpip3

join:2007-02-20
Springfield, VA

Set the firewall to endpoint independent.

BimmerE38FN

join:2002-09-15
Boise, ID
kudos:1
reply to Comp Cmndo

Try setting WiFi mode from Mixed All to single mode G or N then test Mixed G and N.

Turn off Short GI and Extra Wireless Protection.

Any other WiFi routers near by?

Comp Cmndo

PB Cnty, FL
reply to Comp Cmndo

It not only drops the connection, there is no connection available, as if the router transceiver turns itself off.

Called D-Link CS again. During conversation, "internet available indicator" that turns from orange to green never went green even though wireless device was still connected to internet. It had worked an hour before the call. Never dropped wireless during entire conversation & doing RMA.

There was also an indicator light on the side of the unit that isn't even shown in the Manual, it only lit "orange" during certain reboots, only saw it a couple times. Might have been a reset indicator.

They could RMA it on the "light out" alone. They had me try more settings, then issued RMA. It's now on the way back to CA.

My particular unit may have been an RMA return, there was no CD or instructions of any kind in the package. There was a seal on the box & the bag. Likely, someone else had the same problem, got sent back, they found nothing wrong, repackaged it forgot CD, etc., put in inventory.

Now back on the "old reliable" Linksys BEFSR-41 wired router.

Area51guy

@rcn.com

I get the same exact problem from my DIR-632. There is no pattern whatsoever. Might be fine for up to 24 hours straight, then drops all wireless.
The indicator light shows wireless is working, but even a reboot of the pc finds no wireless network. Only a router power-cycle remedies the problem.
I'm tempted to get rid of it and buy another brand...can you update this thread when you get your RMA back?

therau2000

join:2011-11-20
reply to Comp Cmndo

I had the exact same problem with my DIR-655 when I bought it. I was pulling my hair off... until I checked the logs. My router was repeatedly suffering single packet attacks (can't remember the exact type) coming from the Internet. These attacks made it drop WiFi connections; there was no way to block it. While looking for a solution, I noticed that my DIR-655 was getting its time from a time server in Asia; soon after, there were single packet attacks.
Here is what I did to get rid of these attacks:
1-changed time server config to a server inside my own country, nearest to me;
2-changed the name of my DIR-655;
3-cloned my DIR-655 MAC address to that of an old pc I owned;
4-reset my cable modem; that got me a new IP address.
And problem stopped!

Comp Cmndo

PB Cnty, FL
reply to Area51guy

said by Area51guy :

I get the same exact problem from my DIR-632. There is no pattern whatsoever. Might be fine for up to 24 hours straight, then drops all wireless.
The indicator light shows wireless is working, but even a reboot of the pc finds no wireless network. Only a router power-cycle remedies the problem.
I'm tempted to get rid of it and buy another brand...can you update this thread when you get your RMA back?

Here I thought I was the only one! These other posters don't seem to understand. It doesn't drop the connection, there IS NO CONNECTION, it disappears from the available networks. The transceiver in the router shuts off. The computers see all the other routers in the area.
Got the replacement router back a couple days ago, but my HP WiFi laptop had to go back for warranty the same day. Borrowed a laptop & using my old laptop, so far, so good. WiFi has not dropped, old laptop locked up overnight but reboot brought all back to normal using Win2k.
Call it in, get an RMA & ship it back. If enough customers do this they will begin to understand there really is a problem they need to address.

Comp Cmndo

PB Cnty, FL

4 edits
reply to Comp Cmndo

It just did it again with the new router. Plugged in wired connection.
Go to Wireless network Settings.
802.11 Mode: "Mixed N & G", (I need both for different laptops).
Disable "Enable Auto Channel Scan"
Wireless Channel: I tried Ch #1
Channel Width: 20MHz
Save settings.
Wireless came back without router reboot.
Disconnect wired connection.
Wireless is live!!! Doing this on WiFi.

It dropped again after a few hours of stable use.
Try this, am testing now: »www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/D-Link_DIR-632
It's functioning, hope it's stable.
Last link on link above for Forum: »www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=77729

reply to Comp Cmndo

Any other WiFi routers in the area? Use [color=blue]InSSIDer[/color] to find out.

Other Wifi routers can effect and interfere.

Comp Cmndo

PB Cnty, FL

1 edit

Nothing close enough to cause any interference. I suspect enable "Auto Channel Scan" setting does not function properly.

»www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/D-Link_DIR-632
The biggest knock about this router is it's frequent WIFI drops and lockups when using the stock firmware. Installing DD-WRT corrects this issue.

This has been functioning properly:
Firmware Version: DD-WRT v24-sp2 (12/14/11) std - build 18007

My advice is to dump the D-Link firmware & go to the DD-RT firmware. Read thsi thread & you should be good to go: »www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.···&start=0

MisterMom8

join:2004-09-08
Kingston, ON

Has this been working well for you ? Im thinking about installing this on my DIR-632

Comp Cmndo

PB Cnty, FL

1 edit

Yes it has, works great. No WiFi dropouts since reflash. USB interface far superior. It's configured as a network drive.
Follow the instructions in the Wiki link.
»www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/D-Link_DIR-632
Notice that the default IP is different: 192.168.1.1 vs 192.168.0.1
...1.1 is what most manuf's use, D-Link uses ...0.1

MisterMom8

Kingston, ON

Sounds good. I have read the wiki and will print out the page before starting. I have only ever used D-Link so I am used to the 0.1 ip.
Thanks for the info will probably do this after next week, too busy right now.

MisterMom8

Kingston, ON
reply to Comp Cmndo

Well I think I got it flashed ok but the power light is always yellow now and I cant seem to set the correct time, other than that it seems to work ok.

Comp Cmndo

PB Cnty, FL

Yellow is now normal for the power light, with this firmware.
Time is under Setup--Basic Setup
Time Settings at bottom of page, instructions at panel on right side. You have to do "Save" & then "Apply" for any and all changes.

MisterMom8

Kingston, ON

Thanks for all your help