how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

ChadWicky

join:2012-11-14
reply to pabloAR

Re: [Network] speed drop: 3mbps to 0.3mbps most evenings= most e

Not 3, but no point in complaining to Windstream.

Told me a years ago that they were going to fix the nightly download rape, but it just now went up to that from being below 1 all day. I think the highest I saw today (yesterday now?) was 0.88. They are they ONLY option in my location. I don't know if I will ever have good internet, but I do know that it will NEVER come from Windstream.

pabloAR

join:2010-12-30
reply to WS customer
speed test of 3mbps DSL/HSIC via Windstream-- subscription from approx 8 AM CST/local time on FRI 11/16/2012 in southern Montgomery Co, Ark.

observation: hmmm... less than 1/10th the purchased, subscription speed... what's up? usually i can experience at or near 3mbps in the early mornings... so, I have no idea what is going on today. will monitor.

regards,
Pablo

pabloAR

well, OK... speeds "normal" (at or near purchased/ subscription) only a few hours later... this is approx 11 AM CST/local time on FRI 11/16/2012 in southern Montgomery Co, ARK.

regards,
Pablo

pabloAR

reply to WS customer
performance of 3mbps purchased subscriber line at approx 8 PM CST/local time in southern Montgomery Co. ARK. on Fri 11/23/12

observation: typical evening performance; roughly 1/10th the purchased 3mbps subscription.

regards,
Pablo

pabloAR

reply to WS customer
performance of 3mbps DSL/HSIC subscription w/ Windstream in southern Montgomery Co. Ark...
this is approx 10:15 AM CST/local time on WED 11/28/12

observation: download speed is approx. 1/5th of purchased subscription speed...

you just don't know w/ WS... some days, well, it seems almost OK, but at other times (especially PEAK/evenings... not so)

regards,
Pablo

pabloAR

reply to WS customer
performance of 3mbps subscription.
local time: approx 9:45 PM on THURS 12/13/12...

Your Speed Result:
Download Speed: 75 kbps (9.4 KB/sec transfer rate) (0.07mbps)
Upload Speed: 272 kbps (34 KB/sec transfer rate) (0.27mbps)

observation: service is so poor; couldn't get "speedtest" to work; so this is using "Speakeasy"

regards,
Pablo

Piggie
I Actually use Windstream
Premium
join:2005-11-23
Orange Springs, FL
I can't even get full speed and normally this is the fastest time of the day

pabloAR

reply to WS customer
performance of 3mbps DSL/HSIC w/ Windstream
at approx 6 PM (CST/local time) on SAT 12/15/12 in southern Montgomery Co., ARk.

observation: there are more important things in this world to concern oneself with, but this is roughly 1/10th the purchased bandwidth, subscription...

regards, Pablo
Expand your moderator at work

Piggie
Premium
Orange Springs, FL
Reviews:
·Windstream
·HughesNet Satell..
reply to pabloAR

Re: [Network] speed drop: 3mbps to 0.3mbps most evenings= most e

Here is proof my low evening speeds are NOT hardware, software, or even dodoware related. I have posted evenings speed here a couple of times. Wish more FL people were here.

It is oversold. Not that we don't know that, they know that. Just saying it's here in FL also.

--
| Speedstream 4200 Modem - 3m/384 plan | W98-W2KSP4-XPSP2 - All AMD | Buffalo WHR G54S with Tomato 1.18 | 3 downstream switches feeding 6 total clients (no wireless) | Including the Data port on the side of my neck |

pabloAR

reply to WS customer
"performance" of 3mbps subscription (we actually pay for this)
at approx 9 PM CDT/local time on MON 12/17/2012...
in southern Montgomery Co, ARK.

observation: let's see that "rip-snorting" download speed...
that's about 1/50th the purchased bandwidth of Windstream's DSL/HSIC package...

would you be surprised if they (WS) disappear? whoever perfects the technology (?satellite, over the power lines, etc.) to provide basic, fast, consistent service for rural areas will rule the ISP market... just saying...
regards,
Pablo

pabloAR

reply to WS customer
performance of 3mbps subscription line at approx 7:45 AM (CST/LOCALTIME) on TUE 12/18/12- same location in southern Montgomery Co. ARK

observation: during non-peak hours, can obtain at or close to purchased 3mbps subscription... suggesting... windstream "oversold" the supporting infrastructure... and continues to do so... they've told the state attorney general's office they are "implementing system & equipment upgrades", but ... have they?

regards,
Pablo

computerdoc

join:2012-08-06
Campobello, SC
reply to WS customer
I swear, is there anywhere Windstream hasn't oversold their DSLAM capacity? Everyone is thinking the same question, how much longer can they LEGALLY get away with this?

Same thing here in SC. Peak times nose dive like everywhere else. After dozens of calls, threads, chats and emails I've only gotten a ETR for Feb. 2013. And I would be stunned if it was resolved by then to be honest.

Piggie
Premium
Orange Springs, FL
Reviews:
·Windstream
·HughesNet Satell..
I wish there were more people in FL that came on here, but there never has been. I don't live in a high growth area, flat at best over the last 4 years. So they aren't selling new accounts. Either people are using them different or they aren't buying enough time on trunks into the net. Even years ago the only town that saw serious upgrades and service was Lexington, KY. I still very recently saw a post about good stuff there. Not anywhere else.

I just don't see in my town how we oversold. It's a town of 1000 people or so and we know each other. Some a year ago or so were using Netflix, and others. Actually very few of them even try to watch it in evenings, because it won't work.

I had an honest 3M off my remote DSLAM until early in 2011, and it's gone down hill since. Yet I can clearly see no is moving in. Everyone in town knows if a single new house is built and where most of the empty houses are and even why (small town gossip). So why did my evening speeds drop unless it got so bad all of FL drops not because of oversold at the DSLAM but over sold at the backbone level is all I can figure. It's not provisioning as my speeds right now are full tilt 3M, but come evening I am lucky to get over 1m until first at 9, now to about 11. I think people are watching streaming later, having given up using it before 9pm, but just a guess.

Now they had put new fiber and cabinet in several places around town about 2 months ago. A few weeks ago they put up electric power meter poles next to them. But no meter in them and not even hooked to the electrical grid. However not a single person in Windstream can tell me what is going on. This goes to their cone of silence. One would think if they are actually putting in new hardware, they would brag here. But I have seem them install new cabinets in 1999 and it took until 2006 for them to put in a DSLAM. So I am not holding my breath though I can physically see they have spent money and now it sits idle.
--
| Speedstream 4200 Modem - 3m/384 plan | W98-W2KSP4-XPSP2 - All AMD | Buffalo WHR G54S with Tomato 1.18 | 3 downstream switches feeding 6 total clients (no wireless) | Including the Data port on the side of my neck |

pabloAR

reply to WS customer
erratic... best to describe Windstream's HSIC/DSL product.
this is "performance" of their 3mbps subscription...
at approx 8AM local / CST on JAN 1 2013- southern Montgomery Co, Arkansas...
*used to be* fairly consistent/good in A.M.
but now? anywhere from 0.5mbps to 3.0mbps...

sigh.
happy new year,
Pablo

Piggie
Premium
Orange Springs, FL
I am seeing the same. Slowly getting where AM isn't even full speed some of the times. Might be Holiday break and lots of kids on the internet.

Piggie
Premium
Orange Springs, FL
Here is a perfect example. 2:25 pm which previously was a full speed time for me.

Piggie
Premium
Orange Springs, FL
Reviews:
·Windstream
·HughesNet Satell..
Wow, now Orange Springs is joining the club. It's almost like they are oversold on the main pipes.

pabloAR

reply to WS customer
continuing saga... what is this? 3rd year of sub-par performance of Windstream's "High Speed Internet Connection" (HSIC) in this community...
with a purchased subscription at 3mbps -- user can see that for a few hours maybe some mornings... not each morning. can't count on that!
but can count on typical evening performance being less than 1/6th purchased subscription. (generally less than 0.5mbps)

tonight @ approx 8PM (FRI Jan. 18, 2013) in southern Montgomery Co, ARK... 3mbps subscription results are:

that's approx... what? 1/20th of the subscription speed. Essentially you can't do anything. just as well go read a book, just saying.
regards,
Pablo

pabloAR

reply to WS customer
So, while the speeds reported don't look bad, it takes several minutes for test to complete (sits there "connecting" / blinking). Seriously, takes 5 minutes for page to load, do test. Other pages, too, don't load but in bits & pieces. all the little squares / items on say Amazon.com fill in ever so slowly. So, just can't use the computer/ internet during evening "Peak" hours. just saying. Maybe Windstream offers a discount for this level of service? I need to ask them.
regards,
Pablo

questionable results: at roughly 10PM CST Thursday, Jan 31, 2013 in southern Montgomery Co, ARK (note above, where i talk about it taking minutes to load, complete test).

jtesh69

join:2010-08-27
Well the from the latest test you posted while the down is pretty good, the up is slightly low. The webpage loading issue could be a few things like the connection is being throttled by equipment(aka tcp/ip forced idle), which happens when the data is moving faster than the equipment can handle, or they have a high buffering st on the connection, or there could be packet loss. On my coneection it does the same issue when its working halfway well due to packet loss, and my connection has a buffering time of 1684 ms of buffering. Only time I usually see my connection with the TCP/IP force idle is usually after 12PM until early morning.

pabloAR

reply to WS customer
maybe i haven't been paying too close of attention, but i was thinking things were improving. maybe not?
here is "speed test" from approx 8 PM (CST/local time) on TUES Feb 19, 2013 in southern Montgomery Co.

what's that? approx. 1/20th the subscription / purchased 3mbsp DSL package?

regards,
Pablo

pabloAR

reply to WS customer
i got this slick Windstream brochure in the mail-- "in your area you can now upgrade your DSL high speed internet connection"...

I have a 3mbps subscription...
here is the "performance" at approx 9 PM CDT on Tuesday Mar.19, 2013 in rural south west Arkansas (Montgomery Co.)

what's that? less than 1/10th purchased subscription rate? I wonder how that new "HSIC" would perform?
regards,
Pablo

auraxoxo

join:2012-12-11
Sheridan, AR

1 edit
Wonder no more PabloAR

Grant County, Sheridan, AR Thursday March 21 5:17pm

10% of my 12mbps hsic

From 6:30pm - about 12:30 am that number will drop to some where between .07 and .25

Windstream does not prioritize bandwidth so people paying for 12 and people paying for 3 will have the same speeds when there isn't enough to go around. Only from 2am until 8 am will you notice a difference and actually have the full speeds you pay for.

DawsonvilleG

join:2010-08-01
Dawsonville, GA
kudos:1
reply to WS customer
You two guys and Maar should ban together. I'll see if my contact can get you some contacts in AR.