All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs

diowjaiodjwa
join:2009-12-18
test

diowjaiodjwa

Rogers Ultimate 50Mbit/s, downloads being capped at 4mb/s!!!

I just got switched over to the Ultimate 50mbit/s ... and it should give me download speeds of 6.25mb/s, however, when I try to download any file off the internet such as "Windows 7 Service Pack 1" which is 1.9GB to test with any web browser the highest speeds I am able to achieve is 4.0mb/s or in other words 32mbit/s.

Speedtest.net is showing that I am getting 42-46mbit/s. Sometimes it goes up to 60mbit/s. I have called Rogers and they reset the modem, tried all sorts of stuff but I still do not see that 6.25mb/s download speed.

Anyone got any ideas?

metalhawk
join:2007-02-06
Nepean, ON

metalhawk

Your download speed doesn't matter if the remote server can't send the file fast enough.

diowjaiodjwa
test

diowjaiodjwa

So what would be a good test server?

NunChuck
@teksavvy.com

NunChuck to diowjaiodjwa

Anon

to diowjaiodjwa
Download a bunch of files at the same time instead of just one at a time.
Tywin
join:2011-10-28

Tywin to diowjaiodjwa

to diowjaiodjwa
said by diowjaiodjwa:

.. SpeedTest.net.

elitefx
join:2011-02-14
London, ON

elitefx

Any highspeed package faster than Rogers Express is a complete waste of money for the average user. 99% of remote servers will download below 1MB/s with the average being 600 KB/s Most folks don't realize that your internet connection is only as fast as the site connection you're downloading from.
Rule of Thumb: Purchase a package with a suitable data cap and forget about speed. As long as you can download a file, that's all that counts. Time is FREE.
Moffetts
join:2005-05-09
San Mateo, CA

Moffetts

said by elitefx:

Any highspeed package faster than Rogers Express is a complete waste of money for the average user. 99% of remote servers will download below 1MB/s with the average being 600 KB/s Most folks don't realize that your internet connection is only as fast as the site connection you're downloading from.
Rule of Thumb: Purchase a package with a suitable data cap and forget about speed. As long as you can download a file, that's all that counts. Time is FREE.

What the heck are you talking about? Time is not free. Haven't you ever heard the phrase, "Time is money?"

habskilla
join:2005-09-19
Moncton, NB

habskilla to diowjaiodjwa

to diowjaiodjwa
said by diowjaiodjwa:

+1 Download a bunch of files at the same time...

elitefx
join:2011-02-14
London, ON

elitefx to Moffetts

to Moffetts
said by Moffetts:

What the heck are you talking about? Time is not free. Haven't you ever heard the phrase, "Time is money?"

yea yea Everybody is a Bigshot. "I am the most important person in the world. My time is worth millions"
Do you really think the majority of Rogers users sitting in their home, surfing the net, actually care whether their music etc downloads in 2 seconds or 10 seconds or a movie takes 30 or 60 minutes?? All they care about is the end result.
Besides, if millions of people got nothing better to do than go on FaceBook and Twitter, then trust me, their time isn't worth diddley squat to start with.
bt
join:2009-02-26
canada

bt to Tywin

to Tywin
said by Tywin:

said by diowjaiodjwa:

.. SpeedTest.net.

...which is not going to give accurate results for any Rogers connection using SpeedBoost.
JMCD23
join:2010-12-06
London, ON

JMCD23 to elitefx

to elitefx
I download TV shows after they come online on newsgroups. 3 minutes vs. 9 minutes saves me time! Downloading new patches for games off of Steam at 3-4MB/sec is also nice.

People are impatient. Generally, you are right because the vast majority wouldn't notice the difference between 10mbps and 50mbps.

Spazmoto
Kill all Bloodsuckers
join:2003-08-22

Spazmoto to diowjaiodjwa

to diowjaiodjwa
Mb = megabit
MB = megabyte

diowjaiodjwa
test

diowjaiodjwa to elitefx

to elitefx
I'm sorry but I have to say that you're just a crazy person from mars. Either way, 250GB data cap is too low for me considering I had 500gigs from Bell and even before that a grandfather plan (unlimited).
syntxerr
join:2011-10-18
Thornhill, ON

syntxerr to diowjaiodjwa

to diowjaiodjwa
50mbit is also inclusive of any overhead required to get your data to and from your location... If you want to see your connection speed back to rogers, goto www.rogers.com/speedcheck

jmck
formerly 'shaded'
join:2010-10-02
Ottawa, ON

jmck to diowjaiodjwa

to diowjaiodjwa
you always have some crackpot coming out of the woods in threads like these where they think their opinion matters and everyone should have a slow connection because it suits them.

i have the 50mbit package and it's actually set to 75mbit for the last couple of months (for free), on top of that I pretty much always get 70-75mbit/sec when I download from my Usenet providers or from my servers in NY and Chicago.

a few days ago I downloaded the Diablo 3 Beta from Blizzard using their launcher at 7MB/sec (4GB download) and 2 days ago I downloaded the SWTOR beta at 8MB/sec (15GB download)

A few weeks before that I bought BF3 through Origin online an downloaded it at 8MB/sec and was able to play within minutes (~10GB download)
prairiesky
join:2008-12-08
canada

prairiesky to Moffetts

to Moffetts
It's free the same way data is free

Jhero
Premium Member
join:2003-10-10
Ottawa, ON

Jhero to jmck

Premium Member

to jmck
Hey Shaded, just curious if you had requested the 75mbit profile or if it just went on automatically?

I'm in Ottawa too and I thought 75 was only for Atlantic Canada

jmck
formerly 'shaded'
join:2010-10-02
Ottawa, ON

jmck

about 4 months ago, it just started to work at 75mbit/sec and it seemed to affect almost everyone that posted here at the time. It happened shortly after Rogers changed all their plans to increase speeds to all the other packages except the ultimate. and then a few days later ultimate started to work at 75mbit/sec and has since then.

Jhero
Premium Member
join:2003-10-10
Ottawa, ON

Jhero

Premium Member

Oh weird, I just switched to Ultimate but I'm only at the 50 profile
aintz
join:2006-04-13
Ottawa, ON

aintz to diowjaiodjwa

to diowjaiodjwa
my friends ultimate has been at 75mbits for awhile. from hosts like rapidshare and fileserve (premium ofcourse) sustained speeds of 9mbits is very easily obtained.

bfksc
Unlimited on Vmedia
join:2011-11-22
canada

bfksc

said by aintz:

my friends ultimate has been at 75mbits for awhile. from hosts like rapidshare and fileserve (premium ofcourse) sustained speeds of 9mbits is very easily obtained.

Wow, 9mbits is not very impressive...

I guess you meant 9MBytes per second which is about 75mbps, similar to what I'm getting.

diowjaiodjwa
test

diowjaiodjwa

Yes I think my line is giving me the same now. Getting around 7.5-9mbps downloads using jDownloader.
aintz
join:2006-04-13
Ottawa, ON

aintz to bfksc

to bfksc
yes 9mb not mbit lol
crazyhammer
join:2011-11-29
l9n0c3

crazyhammer

Getting nothing higher than 300kb/s from fileserve premium account. I can have 6 or 7 downloads going at the same time and still all hover around the 300kb/s mark. a few weeks ago a 300 meg tv show was downloading around 40 seconds to 60 seconds.

Rogers has obviously done something.

They called me today about my contract expiring, wanted me to renew. I will call tomorrow to "discuss" if there limited download sites, i'm done with them.
JMCD23
join:2010-12-06
London, ON

JMCD23

I suggest trying a few different websites rather than one.
tyciol
join:2007-01-29
Richmond Hill, ON

tyciol to diowjaiodjwa

to diowjaiodjwa
You could always try a bunch of well-seeded torrents...

TBH, the main reason I'd get Ultimate would basically be the cheaper usage. Download speed means little to me these days. If Rogers would let us trade speed for usage, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

I don't like getting charged the same amount for this, when I'm on the comp is usually in the middle of the night when most people have theirs turned off, so I don't think I'm slowing anyone down.

People who have comps on during the 'high use' periods should be the ones who have to pay more for their usage, just like electricity =/
prairiesky
join:2008-12-08
canada

prairiesky to diowjaiodjwa

to diowjaiodjwa
how are you connecting to your system? wired wireless? g? n?

bfksc
Unlimited on Vmedia
join:2011-11-22
canada

bfksc to tyciol

to tyciol
said by tyciol:

You could always try a bunch of well-seeded torrents...

Rogers throttles torrents to limit speed, so it's a poor test. And you can never know what the upload speed is from seeders so you won't know if it's your connection or the seeders who are slow.

TBH, the main reason I'd get Ultimate would basically be the cheaper usage. Download speed means little to me these days. If Rogers would let us trade speed for usage, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Same here...I didn't care about the higher speed since 90% of the time it didn't make any difference for what I'm doing. But I needed the higher cap of 250gig as I have a teenager who is always online streaming videos and music, downloading songs, etc. Plus I download a lot of stuff and stream as well. So I contacted Rogers about the caps and they offered me a 30% discount on the Ultimate plan (no contract) so I upgraded to it. The speed increase was good, averaging ~70mbps, but since it doesn't change ping, jitter, or slow sites, it didn't really matter much for me - it was the 250gig cap I wanted.

But when my bill arrived, it showed $99 for the service. I called to complain and they adjusted it, but my balance never changed when I checked it online. So I got Distributel installed to try it out, and in the meantime Rogers sent the next bill and AGAIN it shows $99. By this time my Distributel service was setup and running good, so I cancelled Rogers internet the next day.

No more worries about prices - $50/mth regardless of what I use and I have a 24/1mbps connection which is more than adequate.

If Rogers wasn't so greedy and difficult to deal with, I would have stayed with them. But I'm not putting up with that kind of financial BS when I don't have to. I'm a happy camper now.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to diowjaiodjwa

Premium Member

to diowjaiodjwa
Sorry but I don't see the problem, Rogers only promises "UP TO" 50mb and in their mind "hi speed" is 1mb.

You are getting your UP to and you are getting "Hi speed", so you are getting what you paid for.

/scarcasm
syntxerr
join:2011-10-18
Thornhill, ON

syntxerr to diowjaiodjwa

to diowjaiodjwa
Hey guys - No do not download more then one file at a time!

Something that is often overlooked in speedtests is framesize and overhead. A 1.9GB file is split into packets, which are inserted into frames. Typically expect somewhere around 95% of your bandwidth to goto packet payload and the other 5% to the headers.

This is also something rogers techs will not tell you