spc
Search similar:

uniqs

S2kRo
@rr.com

S2kRo

Anon

Lightning with PS3

Signed up for lightning this past weekend, loving it on the PC getting +38mb down/+4mb up with 24ms ping consistently but on the PS3 the highest i saw was 8mb/2mb. Wireless disabled, hooked up with Ethernet and even though these speeds seem pretty good the lag that im experiencing is incredible.

Playing MW3 yesterday online, i would turn a corner, see someone, shoot them, and die. Then i would watch the kill replay and i would see myself turn the corner, stare at the guy for about 2 seconds and not one shot of mine would be fired and i would die. This scenario would play out on every one of my kills, i would shoot 10-15 shots and only see 1-5 shots on the kill replay. I did not attempt to play any other games. Settings were set on automatic with upnp enabled. I haven't messed with the settings on the Ubee(?) modem since tech installed it besides disabling the wireless. I'm the only device hooked up to the modem. PS3 has media server disabled.

if anyone has any advice or suggestions please do so.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
join:2006-02-16
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

said by S2kRo :

Signed up for lightning this past weekend, loving it on the PC getting +38mb down/+4mb up with 24ms ping consistently but on the PS3 the highest i saw was 8mb/2mb. Wireless disabled, hooked up with Ethernet and even though these speeds seem pretty good the lag that im experiencing is incredible.

Playing MW3 yesterday online, i would turn a corner, see someone, shoot them, and die. Then i would watch the kill replay and i would see myself turn the corner, stare at the guy for about 2 seconds and not one shot of mine would be fired and i would die. This scenario would play out on every one of my kills, i would shoot 10-15 shots and only see 1-5 shots on the kill replay. I did not attempt to play any other games. Settings were set on automatic with upnp enabled. I haven't messed with the settings on the Ubee(?) modem since tech installed it besides disabling the wireless. I'm the only device hooked up to the modem. PS3 has media server disabled.

What are you using on the PS3 to measure your speeds? Also PM me when you get a moment.

S2kRo
@rr.com

S2kRo

Anon

I did the "test network connections" on the actual ps3 network settings menu.
S2KRo7
join:2011-11-20
Lakeland, FL

S2KRo7

PM'd
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

Replied
tim tim tim
join:2010-08-14
Lutz, FL

tim tim tim

That network connection test on there always showes really low speeds, mine does the same thing.

As for the getting shot, thank the game for that. Mine has always done that to me as well. A buddy of mine with FIOS has the same problem so I know its not a bhn or house issue there.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

Okay so this is interesting. Tim you being in the field I know your connection is solid, I know mine is and I'm going to check the OP's. So I would like to get some of you PS3 Lightning owners together and look at this. It doesn't appear to be a service issue so I'm open to all ideas. Tell me what you know.
tim tim tim
Lutz, FL

tim tim tim

If its a service issue, its been here since lightning came out. Thats when I got it and I got the ps3 at about the same time. At first I tried to t/s why my ps3 was running so slow on the test. I ran new cat 5, swapped the modem, went out with the maintenance techs and swept the plant to make sure it was good, Nothing changed.

I didnt have the ps3 with any other speed tiers so I cant compare, also with the game getting shot. Thats just the game, like I said before, my buddy with fios has the same issues.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert to S2kRo

Premium Member

to S2kRo
What are they using to measure speeds Tim? Is this a built in application or? Help me understand that portion of the equation as I don't own a PS3 and have no intentions of buying one just to test this
tim tim tim
Lutz, FL

tim tim tim

when you do a connection test it gives you a speed reference.

Its not an application or web site, its just built in the interface of the ps3 when you set up an internet connection.
lilstone87
join:2009-04-09
Chesapeake, VA

lilstone87 to S2kRo

to S2kRo
said by S2KRo7:

If your talking about the PS3 speedtest, its very unaccurate. So don't trust anything it reports back, use your pc for speedtesting. As for the MW3 issue, this has been an issue since call of duty serie started on the consoles. The main problem causing the .5-1 second delay between your killcam, and your enemy's, is in large part blamed on the game makers using P2P(Peer 2 Peer) For it's online gaming. Meaning someone in the room your playing in, is always the host. So the connection of the room is up to, how good the host connection performs. Which is also the main cause for a lot of games freezing up and sending you back to the main lobby. Because if the host happens to get mad, and cuts his console off. Everyone is booted back to the main lobby because of it. The solution to most of these problem's, is for the game makers to use dedicated servers, which has yet to happen for console players for the call of duty series online.
tim tim tim
Lutz, FL

tim tim tim

I would also be interested in seeing what there doing to test each connection..

I know my 40/5 connection is rock solid and sometimes ill play a game and it will lag like crazy, find a new host, lag again then find a new host.. wtf let me host
lilstone87
Chesapeake, VA

lilstone87

said by tim tim tim:

I would also be interested in seeing what there doing to test each connection..

I know my 40/5 connection is rock solid and sometimes ill play a game and it will lag like crazy, find a new host, lag again then find a new host.. wtf let me host

Well if your playing the new MW3 there is a lot of lag problems as far as online. A lot of it I don't think it has to do with the host, I think there is some coding problems that need to be resolved as far as the multiplayer is concerned. They are aware of the problems with this game currently, they even mention they don't know the cause of some of it. Which this was stated this pasted week. They have released a few minor patches, but that was more directly at the matchmaking problems, and the few glitches on certain maps. So hopefully within this next week or so there is another patch to address the cause of the random lag issue's.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

Lilistone do you have any supporting information (links etc) that you can post in this thread that document this. You will be helping me and others here who might not know about this. I appreciate your time and effort and thanks in advance.
tim tim tim
Lutz, FL

tim tim tim

I dont have mw3 yet. I havent played anything on there for a few months probably. I have been focusing on school!!
lilstone87
Chesapeake, VA

lilstone87 to BHNtechXpert

to BHNtechXpert
said by BHNtechXpert:

Lilistone do you have any supporting information (links etc) that you can post in this thread that document this. You will be helping me and others here who might not know about this. I appreciate your time and effort and thanks in advance.

Sorry I don't have any supporting links regarding this matter. But if you do enough digging yourself, you will see I am not feeding you guy's lies. The info I have provided has been from me personally playing all the call of duty series on console, and the first time I started playing the call of duty serie was back on pc, it was call of duty 4. I can tell you playing it on pc on dedicated servers was great, and made the issue's we see on the consoles for call of duty not a problem. I have played all the call of duty's online on the consoles for both PS3, and 360. Every one of the call of duty's for the console has had the same delay of .5-1 second, between yours and your opponent's killcam.

This problem happens a lot, and its drives everyone who plays on the console's crazy when playing call of duty. Because you will be running, and be behind a wall by about a good 5 feet, next thing you know your dead. Then if you take the time to watch your opponent's killcam, you will see you was about a good second ahead of what your opponent see's. This is where I truthfully think the P2P plays a factor. Because everyone's connection counts on the host connection, also the game makers for call of duty use an anti-lag compensation feature. To help with the lag, but I think it helps about as much as its hurts everyone. I don't see this feature being needed if they wasn't using P2P hosting on its game. Because we all know the avg connection has its issue's, with ping spikes and such. Which is a key thing when playing a FPS. Yet last year teryarch tryed to say if P2P is setup correctly it can be just as good if not better then dedicated servers. Which is just a bs way of them saying they are not interested in taking the time to integrate there games online with dedicated servers.

The biggest issue I have with this, and the people making a call of duty game every year. Is its not like they are making a whole bunch of major changes to the game itself. They add a few new features, and the rest of it, is a lot of the same. I have no problem with that because major changes to the game itself could be a bad thing and ruin a game like this. Still there is no reason, they shouldn't take the time to move to dedicated servers. Its not like it hasn't been done before on the consoles. For me, and a lot other people I play with and communicate with regarding call of duty online for console's. The thing we all want the most is dedicated servers, to stop all these lag issue's at times caused by the host connection, and when the host is getting killed a lot and decides to turn off his console. That it doesn't throw everyone back to the main lobby, and no one earn credit for playing that game. I mean damn it can't be a money issue on the part of the people making call of duty, just read MW3 made $775mil in first 5 days of sales.

I know I probably went on about this way to long. But I want other's to know and understand that everyone playing this series of game on the console's, see the exact same issues. Also to know what's the main cause behind the same issue, I see people all the time complaining about regarding COD series on console's.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert to S2kRo

Premium Member

to S2kRo
I know you aren't feeding us a line I just wanted the reference material for the thread....it helps to have everything in one place.

TURBO1112
join:2010-04-28
Dade City, FL

TURBO1112

Im a huge gamer. I love Cod. This CoD has some serious lag issues. and it seems they know. I follow one of of the guys on twitter that works on the game. He tweeted today they are working on the laggy connection issues.

This was his tweet earlier today

fourzerotwo Robert Bowling
Early morning #MW3 update meetings, lots of important stuff. I'll keep you posted once we wrap. Main priority: Address laggy connections.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

Thank you Turbo!!
S2KRo7
join:2011-11-20
Lakeland, FL

S2KRo7

I reset the modem while running the ps3, did another test today and got 25mb/2mb. Ran it back to back and got 18mb/2mb. I played battlefield 3 today and I didnt have any problems with that. Ill try tomorrow during the day to play MW3 again and see if it does it with just that game or any others. I played it at my gf's house on her ps3 before playing it at my house, she has fios and it worked perfect there.
lilstone87
Chesapeake, VA

lilstone87

said by S2KRo7:

I reset the modem while running the ps3, did another test today and got 25mb/2mb. Ran it back to back and got 18mb/2mb. I played battlefield 3 today and I didnt have any problems with that. Ill try tomorrow during the day to play MW3 again and see if it does it with just that game or any others. I played it at my gf's house on her ps3 before playing it at my house, she has fios and it worked perfect there.

If your problem is restricted to MW3, then your connection isn't the problem. Also the PS3 built in speedtest is very inaccurate as I mention before. I have a 50/5 connection with my ISP, and the best I ever seen with the ps3 speedtest was like 30mbps. Using the PS3 web browser, I will run test on speakeasy.net. One test will show correct speeds, then the next one will be off on the download speed. The PS3 simply has trouble with accurate speedtest results. Also speed has nothing to do with gaming experience, it's all about your ping times, and how steady they are staying.

Really anyone having problems with playing MW3 online, should give it about a good month before worrying of any kind of problems that may be on your end. Unless the problem is affecting you on other online games as well. Because there will be more then a couple patches released for MW3 in the next month or so, as IW try's to work out all the bugs everyone is dealing with online.
tim tim tim
Lutz, FL

tim tim tim

I ment to mention earlier about the bandwidth not being nearly as important as the ping times. If your ping times are low, you shouldnt have any issues at all.

Dgray0315
@rr.com

Dgray0315

Anon

I experience the same issues with the Latency to the backbone of brighthouse, DTE point is fawked I believe, but they only send out level 1 support techs to swap out the modems and run new lines and I have had mine replaced from the house to the pole like 4 times already, its amazing my sister pays less and has a way better connection but she is also routed through gig11-00-00-2011 and im routed through gig12-0-0-2009 and this is where the latency issues start to occur. I am paying for lightning and get horrible Latency, she is paying the basic and her connection rocks same XBOX360, cabling, etc. I just called up and they are sending another modem and going to make them run some more lines... cause I can i know its not from the house to the pole, but that is as far as they will check.

Dgray

CCNA | CISP | MSCE
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

said by Dgray0315 :

I experience the same issues with the Latency to the backbone of brighthouse, DTE point is fawked I believe, but they only send out level 1 support techs to swap out the modems and run new lines and I have had mine replaced from the house to the pole like 4 times already, its amazing my sister pays less and has a way better connection but she is also routed through gig11-00-00-2011 and im routed through gig12-0-0-2009 and this is where the latency issues start to occur. I am paying for lightning and get horrible Latency, she is paying the basic and her connection rocks same XBOX360, cabling, etc. I just called up and they are sending another modem and going to make them run some more lines... cause I can i know its not from the house to the pole, but that is as far as they will check.

Dgray

CCNA | CISP | MSCE

There should be no reason why you are experiencing this and I suspect you may be misinterpreting things. PM me the supporting data and your MAC address off the modem and I will take a look.

Dgray
@rr.com

Dgray

Anon

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

these flux 140 - 120 - 100ms throughout the day. they arent consisent. pathping shows alot of packet loss.
Expand your moderator at work
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert to S2kRo

Premium Member

to S2kRo

Re: Lightning with PS3

Please PM me your pathping results.

X Digital X2
Premium Member
join:2011-11-28
Saint Petersburg, FL

X Digital X2 to S2kRo

Premium Member

to S2kRo
I just sent you a another tracert / email, Let me run this pathping again.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert to S2kRo

Premium Member

to S2kRo
Thank you sir...let me digest this a bit and I'll be back at ya either late tonight or tomorrow.