All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Julianb2
join:2010-12-31
Boca Raton, FL

Julianb2

After outage- Display Pass thru not working: Black borders!!

After outage I have black bars and "square" pictures now! Cant change it!!

Options

. . ..
11-20-201109:11 AM

I am in Boca Raton Fl. I had a strange outage with a muddy white screen with sound and guide still working!

I rebooted the SA8300hd and got back my image.. but now on the HD channels it seems the pass-thru option is no longer working as I have black bars around programming and square ads.. I even have some channels displaying within small boxes in the center of the screen.

I have tried rebooting and going through the HD wizard (info,guide press on the 8300) and checking the display setting (channel up/down on 8300)... No combination of options 1080i,480p stretch , etc works to correct this problem

Please help

Mike Wolf
join:2009-05-24
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf

on the front of the box when its on it displays the resolution it currenly is outputting, what does it show when you are tuned to an HD channel and what does it show when you are on a non HD channel?
Julianb2
Boca Raton, FL

Julianb2

1080i across the board, even on ESPN HD (720P broadcast)

I read the comcast blog regarding the software update, but in my User settings their is NO pass thru option. Ie only 108i,or 720p or 480,etc.

Robotics
See You On The Dark Side
Premium Member
join:2003-10-23
Louisa, VA

Robotics to Julianb2

Premium Member

to Julianb2
Go to this link and follow the instructions there, and you will be back in business

»gigaom.com/video/six-ste ··· top-box/

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

1 edit

Mike Wolf to Julianb2

to Julianb2
Don't think you got the update yet then.
Julianb2
Boca Raton, FL

Julianb2

Thanks Mike, will check out the other suggestions... just got off work!
Julianb2

Julianb2

Ok Robotics, this is the Hd wizard process which I have already done a bunch of times trying diff resolution combos, as well.

I really think it has to do more with the box no longer doing Pass thru of the native broadcast resolutions. As Mike asked me, the front display on the box ONLY says 1080i.

Before this mysterious outage, I had various resolutions on the display as I changed channels

I wonder if the box is messed up since the outage:
1) During this outage, I had sound and the guide display onscreen, but the image was only a muddy white,pink color on all channels
2) I rebooted the box( disconnect from cable+power for 1hr) and got the picture back with this issue.
3) In the Service Menu pages on the SA8300hd the software page, refers to a failed download, application not applicable,installed anyway, blah blah

Is this a clue? Perhaps I should swap the box?

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf

hmm, without being able to look at your box, i have to use my own box as an example. after Comcast pushed the S25 guide the option for native resolution output was did away with and users were forced to pick one resolution and stick with it. I'm going to assume that your box is also running the S25 guide as well, and that would cause that native output option to go away. as i mentioned before there is a software patch that is suppose to bring this feature back, and I would recommend checking the related threads »Re: RNG-200 Pass Thru on this site, or just asking Russ since he's basically in charge of that now
Russ6
join:2011-03-17
Houston, TX

Russ6

Click the following link, to go to a post to figure out if you have the new patch with Pass Through:

»Re: [STB] Deployment of Software Patch for SA/Cisco S25 Guide

I don't think the problem is related to Pass Through. After setting up the options in the HD Wizard, reboot the box to get the new options to stay at what you set them to.

If this doesn't work, either call Comcast or post your problem in Comcast's Ted Hodgins, Sr. Director, Video Product Development - Navigation, in Media & Entertainment, "New Guide for Scientific Atlanta Cable Boxes" blog:

»blog.comcast.com/2010/05 ··· xes.html

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf

or just complain on here lol

Robotics
See You On The Dark Side
Premium Member
Louisa, VA

Robotics to Russ6

Premium Member

to Russ6
Hello again Russ. I believe you were the one that sent me to the link I posted above for the OP to try.
Doesn't it sound like he has the same problem as me?
I know I did as you suggest by going through the HD wizard, and mine works now. I'm confused.
I guess he has the new guide and that's what is causing it?
I'm still on the old guide, so I guess that's why it worked for me.

But I want to understand this since we are supposed to get the new guide (they say) first part of 2012.

Thanks
Russ6
Houston, TX

Russ6

Hi Robotics,

I think the problem that you had is different than the problem Julianb2 is having. You wanted to stretch standard def to fill the screen and you are on SARA. The link I pointed you to was about SARA. Julianb2 wants high definition to dusplay as high definition without borders and is on the S25 Guide. There may be something not configured correctly or there may be a problem with the set-top box.

Robotics
See You On The Dark Side
Premium Member
Louisa, VA

Robotics

Premium Member

said by Russ6:

Hi Robotics,

I think the problem that you had is different than the problem Julianb2 is having. You wanted to stretch standard def to fill the screen and you are on SARA. The link I pointed you to was about SARA. Julianb2 wants high definition to dusplay as high definition without borders and is on the S25 Guide. There may be something not configured correctly or there may be a problem with the set-top box.

Thanks for setting me straight (again). Hope he gets it working right. Got to see HD in full screen

Thanks again!
Julianb2
Boca Raton, FL

Julianb2

Yeah just to confirm I AM on S25p2-7xxxr-54 NOT the new one coming in December? S25p3xxxr-27 Mike.

I just did a hard boot and I still get the same thing:
eg. On ScifiHD the programming is in a smaller box on my tv, regardless of whether I set the box to display 1080i or 720p fixed. with 480p override. Interestingly if I hit the info button, the blue info bar DOES display fullscreen with the smaller programming image behind...

Went in the service menu: On the APL Info Page

Global Cfg: TBD
Addressed Cfg: TBD, etc followed by a bunch of anomalies in orange.

For example:WARNING @ apl_sa/nvm/config.c:823 (config:Skipping INVALID PARAMETER type 20 for owner 11)

and

@ apl_sa/appcfg/cfg_parser.c:1408 (VOD App has no compatibility level: app loaded anyway)

Any significance??
Russ6
Houston, TX

Russ6

Try removing the 480p override.

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf to Julianb2

to Julianb2
the APL Info Page always has some sort of software anomalies which I've just learned to ignore beacuse it usually doesn't mean anything, I just look at the signal strenth and power levels.

the small image your seeing makes me think that your viewing the SD version of syfy. screenshot maybe? i know that on my tv when i press the display button on the tv remote it gives me what resolution it currently is at. if your tv does as well see what resolution its recieving.
Julianb2
Boca Raton, FL

Julianb2

Gobble Gobble!

Hey Mike at this stage, I think I am going to try and catch up on my DVR stuff over the holiday weekend and swap the box next week

Of course, we should be getting the update right around there as well!!

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf

lol nice

yeah good luck with the catching up. i still want to hear about what your tv says your displaying at, because I think the issue your seeing isn't related to the dvr box.

i'd wait till the update comes out at least.

PunkGod
join:2003-02-02

PunkGod to Julianb2

to Julianb2
Bad thing is, pass-thru doesn't work with HDMI.