spc
Search similar:

uniqs
sargeants
join:2008-11-04
Toronto, ON

sargeants

Dual WAN with Rogers Home Phone

Okay, so I'm not sure how the Rogers Home Phone works, so this may be a quick answer.

If someone has RHP and internet, and is wanting to get a dual WAN router (Cisco/Sonicwall/etc) and hook up the second connection with Bell or another ISP as load balancing(or even failover), would this cause a problem with the RHP?

Is the RHP a separate connection from the modem to the phones, does the RHP jump into the standard 2/4pin phone wires to get to the phones or is it all through the ethernet?

If it's a separate connection from the phones to the modem and the ethernet to the modem then it shouldn't be a problem, they way I'm visioning it. This isn't for me, cause if it was I would be able to see how the phones connect up.

Could someone confirm this for me before I tell the person something that can't be done?
imseanbrown
Premium Member
join:2005-12-20
New York, NY

imseanbrown

Premium Member

If you load balance between a Rogers and non-rogers connection, most likely your RHP service will not work. ISP's typically want to keep their VOIP service on their network, so they can ensure call quality end-to-end.

While you have good intentions by wanting to add redundancy to your network connection, this also adds MAJOR complexity to the way the phone service travels, and if it's not a Rogers connection, they have no control of the flow of voice traffic, thus [ultimately] creating a very large potential for poor call quality.

Essentially [in a nut shell] most ISP's will only allow their phone traffic on their network, because they can guarantee the quality of the call, the second it leaves their network, they cant.

Hope this helps

Anav
Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium Member
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS

Anav to sargeants

Premium Member

to sargeants
Just a word, that dual wan routers often provide policy routing so that you can force packets from or to IPs, or services, or even quality of traffic (TV is 3 I believe) to specific WANS and/or associated VLANs.

The question becomes though if it is best for a single router to handle both internet and tv routing and associated packet handling. If both are being utilized it may be advantageous to off load some of it.

For instance on Bell FibreOp, the provided actiontech router connected to the ONT does a poor job of combined ops. Some here in the Maritimes have replaced it with a workhorse Asus rt n56U router which has throughputs up and down in the order of 800Mbps, a hardware nat engine and a built in gigabit switch that recognized and routes in hardware 802.1p (IPTV) and 802.1q vlans, and TV performance is much improved, very snappy.

This router can also, with configured firmware, bridge to another router on a specific port wrt to the internet traffic.
So at this point a dual wan router can come into play and your home network can be behind this dual wan device. It can use the bridged (Bell wan) as one input and your cable connection as the other input, not worrying Tabout TV or other services etc.....