All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Camaro305
join:2000-10-04
united state

Camaro305

On Screen Guide 2.0 for SA Areas - Looks Good!

»www.xfinity.com/onscreenguide2
neufuse
join:2006-12-06
James Creek, PA

neufuse

is this the OCAP deployed guide? I haven't seen these pics before, heck we just switched to the iGuide in the SA regions now they are going for this? why didn't we just go straight to this?
Camaro305
join:2000-10-04
united state

Camaro305

I think they had to lay the "foundation" first. I found that link in the Comcast Voices blog, specifically here: »blog.comcast.com/2010/05 ··· xes.html

cypherstream
MVM
join:2004-12-02
Reading, PA
·PenTeleData
ARRIS SB8200

cypherstream to Camaro305

MVM

to Camaro305
Looks great! I am currently using the new DirecTV HD UI and while it looks good and is razor sharp, the guide display options are much better on this new Comcast 2.0 guide. Lots more time by more channels, plus the mini guide is 4 rows as opposed to DirecTV's 1 row.

The next question is WHEN, and what hardware supports the full 16:9 HD resolution? How does it translate to SDTV's? Can it output HD and SD graphics at the same time (DirecTV can not)? Ted talks about Cisco hardware getting this between now and next June. What about Motorola based headends? Will older boxes get an SD 4:3 version or remain on iguide?

Mike Wolf
join:2009-05-24
Tuckerton, NJ

1 edit

Mike Wolf to neufuse

to neufuse
I've already chewed out the people in charge of it because I agree with you and they gave me a $25 credit to shut me up
Mike Wolf

2 edits

Mike Wolf to cypherstream

to cypherstream
from what Ted has said via email, it's only going to be current gen RNG boxes on the SA/Cisco side and everything after that:
quote:
Xcalibur (On-screen Guide 3.0) is designed to run initially on a brand new set top box. Most all of the new boxes (Motorola and Cisco) deployed in the last two years are also capable to run On Screen Guide 3.0 and are targeted to do so. We expect to see wide deployments of On-Screen Guide 2.0 (available now on RNG 200N boxes in two markets in Florida and more this year) and On-Screen Guide 3.0 (available now in Augusta, GA) in 2012.

Tru2Way is the platform that the two guides run on. It is required in order to run either guide. Our lower end boxes don’t have the memory or processing power to run these new guides and we need to still be able to support the millions of those that are in customer homes. The priority is currently on improving the customer experience with wide deployments of On-Screen Guide 2.0 and 3.0 in 2012.
I'm waiting on a response from him about the Motorola side of things.
stoli412
join:2003-02-12
SK3 9JR

stoli412 to Camaro305

to Camaro305
Wow! This thing actually looks usable! I hope it comes to Moto areas soon too!

cypherstream
MVM
Reading, PA
·PenTeleData
ARRIS SB8200

cypherstream to Mike Wolf

MVM

to Mike Wolf
Thanks Mike. Either one, 2.0 or 3.0 is a huge improvement over the current guide.

I am curious if Motorola markets will see 2.0 at all, or go straight to 3.0. I was under the impression that Xcaliber (3.0) was a premium DVR product while 2.0 was the main HD/DVR product.

When you look at Fios IMG 1.9, they handled legacy set tops by deploying a 4:3, SD resolution version to the older Motorola set tops while allowing customers to trade up to a newer Motorola box to get the full HD GUI experience. I'm curious how Comcast will "gracefully" handle this transition.

Also will Comcast liscence this 2.0 and/or 3.0 guide to other MSO's, or is this strictly Comcast Exclusive?

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

2 edits

Mike Wolf

I brought up the fact that the whole facebook and twitter and cloud intergration is nice and all but doesn't work for customers who do not have accounts for them, who do not have internet service (elderly or fixed income) or who do not have network capabilities near a television, and with that it doesn't help at all.
I'm not sure if it will be a Comcast exclusive or not, and most likelky will be, but again I'm not sure and could be wrong. Would be cool if other companies got to use it too.
The Q
join:2008-06-26
Collegeville, PA

The Q

i am confused. Is there facebook and twitter integration on the onscreen guide 2.0? I did not see that on the link from the OP.

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf

no it should be intergrated in 3.0 guide which is covered in another thread.

andyross
MVM
join:2003-05-04
Aurora, IL

andyross to Mike Wolf

MVM

to Mike Wolf
My guess is that any Facebook/Twitter type integration would use the cable box's own DOCSIS modem or the OOB/upstream. It wouldn't require a separate cable modem.

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

1 edit

Mike Wolf

thats one of the options Ted suggested.

cypherstream
MVM
Reading, PA

cypherstream to Camaro305

MVM

to Camaro305
And the article is now on Engadget.
»www.engadget.com/2011/11 ··· upgrade/
Russ6
join:2011-03-17
Houston, TX

Russ6 to cypherstream

to cypherstream
said by cypherstream:

Looks great! I am currently using the new DirecTV HD UI and while it looks good and is razor sharp, the guide display options are much better on this new Comcast 2.0 guide. Lots more time by more channels, plus the mini guide is 4 rows as opposed to DirecTV's 1 row.

The next question is WHEN, and what hardware supports the full 16:9 HD resolution? How does it translate to SDTV's? Can it output HD and SD graphics at the same time (DirecTV can not)? Ted talks about Cisco hardware getting this between now and next June. What about Motorola based headends? Will older boxes get an SD 4:3 version or remain on iguide?

Mid 2012 is the scheduled timeframe for deployment of a merged Phase 2 (Interactive Features) / Phase 3 (Remote DVR Scheduling (myDVR Manager) & XFinity TV Application). This megred Phase 2/3 is expected to be widely available starting by June 2012. On Screen Guide 2.0 on the Cisco RNG 200-N AnyRoom DVR will be deployed as AnyRoom DVR functionality is introduced in that SA/Cisco market. The only timeframe I have seen for On-Screen Guide 2.0 is 2012 on non Cisco RNG 200-N AnyRoom DVRs. My guess is only a few if any SA/Cisco markets will get it in 2012 and it will be delayed again to 2013.

Here is a link to the current schedule:

»Re: Official Comcast blog about new SA guide