Search similar:

uniqs

TilhasBB
Premium Member
join:2000-08-05
canada

TilhasBB

Premium Member

How to put Sagemcom 2864 in bridge mode?

I've tried connecting

My router from WAN port to LAN and WAN on Sagecom
My router from LAN port to LAN and Wan on Sagecom

I have Sagecom on factory default settings. It just won't dial.

Anyone able to get the Sagecom in bridge mode?
gabe90
join:2009-11-30
Burlington, ON

1 recommendation

gabe90

see here:

»Sagemcom F@st 2864 w/ DD-WRT Router
urbang33k
join:2010-02-13
Canada

urbang33k to TilhasBB

to TilhasBB
The steps linked in the other thread work for some people.

Having said that, I dont think it's necessary to reset the Sagemcom. I've setup third party routers behind Sagemcoms for customers, so long as the third party router is set to do it's OWN pppoe session. The cpe router seems to get a public IP no problem in most cases from what I've experienced.
kiwibri
join:2011-10-26
Canada

kiwibri

is this necessary if I want to use a Apple Time Capsule with the Bell Modem?

spiffhiggins
@bell.ca

spiffhiggins to urbang33k

Anon

to urbang33k
I have a Sagemcom modem with my Fibe 25 and yes, when I reset the modem to factory defaults and configured the PPPoE ony my router it works HOWEVER I only get half the speed. Whereas the Sagemcom will do 25 down / 7 up natively, with my router behind it I only get 14 down / 4 up. I don't think it's a true bridge mode. I'm looking for an older Cellpipe modem to compare.

Glen1
These Are The Good Ol' Days.
MVM
join:2002-05-24
GTA Canada

Glen1

MVM

I have a cellpipe for my FibeTV/Internet and yes I am able to bridge through it and maintain full speed. How much is the rental cost on the Sagemcom? I understand they raised the rental price...
Snarf Bailey
join:2011-08-20
York, ON

Snarf Bailey to spiffhiggins

to spiffhiggins
said by spiffhiggins :

I have a Sagemcom modem with my Fibe 25 and yes, when I reset the modem to factory defaults and configured the PPPoE ony my router it works HOWEVER I only get half the speed. Whereas the Sagemcom will do 25 down / 7 up natively, with my router behind it I only get 14 down / 4 up. I don't think it's a true bridge mode. I'm looking for an older Cellpipe modem to compare.

You would be right, it's not true bridge Mode. It's just a Kludge to get your router to establish the PPPOE handshake. The Sagemcom Gateway has the advanced settings that would allow you to actually bridge it locked away via password and you can't get that password. ALL BELL GATEWAYS have the bridge mode locked behind a password. Believe me, I have tried every possible avenue to get the passwords and no one will cough them up.

According to Bell they lock the advanced settings away because if they don't people will futz with it and it generates too many support calls. That's what I was told by them anyway.
InvalidError
join:2008-02-03

InvalidError to Glen1

to Glen1
said by Glen1:

How much is the rental cost on the Sagemcom? I understand they raised the rental price...

From what I see (at least on the QC pages), the monthly rental fees got replaced by a "$100 one-time rental fee" which is effectively the same as saying they raised the install/activation fee by $100 and buried the balance of rental fees in the base rates.

Whether or not this is a net increase on modem rental depends on how long you rent it for... certainly an increase under 1 year, might break even in the 2nd year, should be cheaper in the 3rd year with the unlikely assumption that Bell won't turn the tables in the meantime.
corrpa01
join:2011-12-24
Scarborough, ON

corrpa01

Bell Canada chat advised the following to put the Sagemcom f@st 2864 into bridge mode:

"Please hard reset the modem 2 to 3 times and it will change to Bridge mode."

I have not tried it yet. If anyone else tries the above and it works, please let me know. I was about to buy a cisco/linksys router but don't want to blow the money if this bridge mode advice doesn't work.

Glen1
MVM
GTA Canada

Glen1

MVM

Sounds like a good way to get you off the phone but it doesn't make sense that it would magically change to bridge mode after rebooting it 2 or 3 times...

corrpa01gest
@bell.ca

corrpa01gest

Anon

Well, it actually seems to have worked! I successfully bridge my Linksys E3200 with my Sagemcom f@st 2864 and did not suffer any reduction in speed (wired). Wireless varies.

newBell
@bell.ca

newBell

Anon

How is your router connected to the modem? Modem WAN to router WAN, or modem LAN to router WAN?

teletone
join:2010-06-07
Toronto, On

teletone

said by newBell :

How is your router connected to the modem? Modem WAN to router WAN, or modem LAN to router WAN?

modem LAN to router WAN. modem WAN is to connect to a fibre optic device via ethernet cable.
Johnsonrod
join:2012-01-07

Johnsonrod

Hey guys , I'm ok with pppoe coming from Sage 2864 but my question is if I set up an untangle box with modem pppoe do I need to follow the same steps ?

I'm worried i'll create a double nat, or somehow degrade my lan.

Should I just get untangle to handle PPPOE or is it really all the same as far as network traffic speeds?

I'd rather not give bell access to my LAN , I hate the idea that bell can at anytime see my devices etc while using theire modem as dhcp server. Can I just disable dhcp ? Is that a way to keep PPOE on the modem but have my router handle all devices etc ?
Sunfox
join:2003-12-14
Stouffville

Sunfox

You can PPPoE through the Sagemcom from your router without issue, without putting it into an official bridge mode (if there even is one). You won't have double NAT, your router will receive an IP from Bell, and I haven't seen any issues with getting "half" the rated speed.

If you later look at the Sagemcom's logs, there's entries such as "Passthrough session opened" whenever an external PPPoE connection is made.

With that said, the Sagemcom still insists on making its own PPPoE session at the same time, even if you blank out the connection details - because it then auto-fills with functional defaults. They need to add a way to properly disable PPPoE on this thing... or they're going to run out of IPs assigning two to anyone with a "real" router!
Johnsonrod

Johnsonrod

I agree , it's just assumed that the average customer wants all in one set up i.e. wifi , and router.

There isn't any focus on us consumers that realize for one how unsafe it is to trust really god knows whomever is behind that remotely accessible router .

There should be an updated firmware that will essentially allow complete bridge mode, passing along the public IP leaving the Sagemcom in "dummy mode".

In my case PPOE establishing on Untangle isn't recommended as certain apps will not function properly. It's recommended to get the public IP from the ISP modem. Go figure.

Glen1
MVM
GTA Canada

Glen1 to TilhasBB

MVM

to TilhasBB
Sunfox has a point about using too many IPs, however the cost of creating firmware for a completely "bridge" mode might also be prohibitive? However, I can recall replacing a Sagemcom 4300 last week with a Sagemcom 2864. There is a button on the front to turn off the wireless so I deactivated that as well. I placed the Sagemcom in "factory default" by pressing the reset button on the bottom after going through the "walled garden" just to make sure the user ID was properly activated and any firmware upgrades to the Sagemcom were downloaded. The customer's device took over the PPPoe because they have a "single static" IP service and only one device can log in. It worked well for their needs...25/7 VDSL2 service.
Johnsonrod

Johnsonrod

I understand that you can have your own device establish the pppoe but what I'm interested in is having the sagemcom 2864 take care of that and pass along only the "public ip". From what I understand that is a capability on some dsl modems.

What's happening in my case is that if I want my router to accept a "dynamic" or "static connection" verses "pppoe" , I'm getting a private LAN IP i.e. 192.168.x.x instead of the public IP. I've tried disabling dhcp in the settings ultimately it just disables any connectivity to the ports.

Examples of passing "public IP" : »hardforum.com/showthread ··· =1579486 , »wiki.untangle.com/index. ··· PoE_FAQs

I hope what I explained here makes more sense ?
Sunfox
Stouffville

Sunfox

I don't see any settings that would indicate that something like that is possible on the Sagemcom. At least not with what's exposed to the public.
Snarf Bailey
join:2011-08-20
York, ON

Snarf Bailey to TilhasBB

to TilhasBB
After patiently waiting for March to roll around to see if Bell actually pulls the throttling as they have said they would therefore solving the "synch no surf" issue for everyone I am still experiencing the issue and have just gotten off of the phone with an escalations person at Bell.

Now, I'm not getting off topic to this thread and here is why.

As soon as the escalations person, who had called me back as a result of numerous support calls over the weekend, heard that I was looking for info regarding the removal of the throttling he immediately changed the subject and told me that because I have my router handling all of the work, instead of the SagemCom Gateway, there was nothing anyone could do to help me. Unless I wanted to remove my router from play he couldn't answer my questions.

After I got done laughing I basically told him that all I needed was an answer yes or no, throttling gone or not so that I could pursue this if needed. What a bunch of scumbags. Liars and obfuscators (ok I know that's really not a word, lol) the whole lot of them.

There is not one decent ISP in all of Toronto as my experiences over the last year proves. It's probably all of Canada but I can really only comment on Toronto currently.

I think that the guy who comes by twice a week to stuff Bell propaganda under my door needs a boot to the head just to make me feel better, lol...j/k ok, lol....
Sunfox
Stouffville

Sunfox

I think I experienced my first "sync no surf" issue last night. Basically I was browsing around and downloading a few things... when everything stopped cold. I could no longer access email or any web sites, but the PPP connection appeared open and I could ping and even traceroute to the web.

My PPP is handled by my router, so I tried dropping the connection, but it didn't help. Rebooted the router, didn't help. In the end, I had to reboot the modem and all went back to normal.

One of the big issues with this problem, is since pings continue to work, my router was unable to detect that this WAN interface had gone down and route me through my backup connection.

The only interesting thing in the log, was when my router tried to update DDNS I got the error "Update the profile XXX has failed because of strange server response".
elgaland
join:2012-02-19

elgaland

Get in the Direct forum, I got my horrible sync-no-surf sorted out after a few rounds of profile tweaking. And torrents are still blazing fast.
Sunfox
Stouffville

Sunfox

It's only happened once so far, and it took 3 weeks to happen. We'll see if it happens again. I'm already on a non-standard profile (due to reduced upload speed).
Johnsonrod

Johnsonrod to TilhasBB

to TilhasBB
OK I answered my own question, and all of one reason I even came to an understanding of this solution was modern warfare 3 .

I realized on the MW3 in game NAT status on my PS3 that it was moderate. Did a quick Google search to find the ports to open, did so on my router and... nothing still moderate.

I should mention before this point I successfully got DHCP disabled on the Sagecom, but still obviously had a private IP provided to my router, not an actual bridged "public IP" (not to sure the point of why you can even disable DHCP on the Sagemcom?? Maybe it just leaves one port open? Either way its still resolving IP addresses.

Regardless disabling DHCP did not solve my issues.

Moving forward back to the NAT status in MW3, I decided even after putting my PS3 in DMZ on my router and not having it work (still moderate NAT) I thought why not get the Sagemcom to DMZ my router ?

After all my router is in fact a NAT/firewall , what could possibly be wrong with simply bypassing anything the Sagemcom is firewalling ?

It worked, Double checked (with full PS3 reboot) to pin point that in fact enabling DMZ of the private IP that the Sagemcom has given my router will disable this POS modem once and for all, but most importantly still keeping the modem to do it's really only one task that it should be for "PPPOE"

Why is this important ?

This proves to folks out there that simply plug in there own router to the Sagemcom without any configuration that, unless they dmz in Sagemcom settings the "private" ip given to their router from the Sagemcom, or in the more popular case have there router handle the PPPOE all togethor, you might run into issues of either double NAT , or having the Sagemcom firewall your traffic.

Happy gaming/surfing

-Johnson