Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

billycar

join:2006-09-29
Lynchburg, VA
reply to billycar

Re: Domain Name Purchase

I am looking for those that simply register my domain name, and won't try to sell me another truck.

Then possibly help me figure out how to connect it to my artsite on mysite.verizon.net/moonstoneartstudio (my ISP (verizon.net) and not so cordial, HOST, who has recently dropped ftp, but still lets me keep my artsite out there, although it is currently frozen in space).

Sentinel
Premium
join:2001-02-07
Florida
kudos:1
All will try to sell you what ever they can. Caveat Emptor. It is up to you to know what you need and should be buying. Sounds like all you want to do is to register a domain name. Any registrar can do that for you . Just don't click to add anything other than the registration.

Now with regards to your hosting; I don't know anything about Verizon or how they do that or if they do that. They may not allow that kind of thing. However, you could always just set up a forward on your domain tools to forward anyone from your domain to that website.

ff1324
Everybody Goes Home
Premium
join:2002-08-24
On Four Day
reply to billycar
said by billycar:

I am looking for those that simply register my domain name, and won't try to sell me another truck.

Then possibly help me figure out how to connect it to my artsite on mysite.verizon.net/moonstoneartstudio (my ISP (verizon.net) and not so cordial, HOST, who has recently dropped ftp, but still lets me keep my artsite out there, although it is currently frozen in space).

For a simple way of doing this...

1) Go to godaddy.com, create an account, and register your domain name. Don't add any services like private registration, hosting, mail, or anything. Check out retailmenot.com for a coupon code to get .com domains for less.

2) Once its registered, use GoDaddy's domain management control panel to redirect your domain name to your site address.

3) In the long run, you should look at getting your own hosting account somewhere. Surpass (»www.surpasshosting.com/hosting-s···ions.php) has a plan for $7 per month (less if you pay for a year or more). They have been a favorite of folks around here for a while.
--
My rants get raves.

billycar

Lynchburg, VA
I recently purchased "www.moonstoneartstudio.com" through name.com for $9.99 a year. It seemed to be the simplest site of them all.

At name.com, I then used "URL Forwarding" and pointed it to my artsite which now resides for free on dropbox.com. Having it there, I can modify my copy of it on my local disk, using Golive, synchronize it to the copy in the Dropbox folder, also on my local disk, and it gets automatically uploaded and synchronized to that on my Public folder on the web at Dropbox.com. All free (except for my time). I could probably skip the local file synchronizing ... I just like the idea of keeping a separate work copy from the public copy.

I am still awaiting a call back from Verizon, to get my site removed from their web space, as I cannot touch it, even with their thing called Site Builder.

I also have a Redirect index.html file ready to move to the Verizon area, except they have to help me with that also ... as far as I can tell, their SIte Builder doesn't allow for self-written html.

Problem almost solved.

(Along the way, by expressing my frustration, badly, I have become banned from the Verizon Forums. No big deal. I see people, places and things get removed from this Forum, too).

billycar

Lynchburg, VA

4 edits
reply to ff1324