spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Dollarz

join:2011-11-22

[AB] How to get two ip addresses

I called Shaw and had my cisco modem bridged, I have sent the signal to a switch so that both my hard wired computers are each assigned a separate ip, but i noticed when I'm using one to download the others download speed slows down, my question is does Shaw do load balancing, so even with 2 ips I still have the bandwidth of BB50 capped at max of 50mbps regardless. I was expecting to get both lines near max. I can usually get a reading of 47-50 on my computers running the the Shaw speed test individually.

ShawSean

join:2010-07-16
Vernon, BC
kudos:12
you're correct, your connection is capped at 50 with one or two ip's.
--
Sean
Twitter - @Shaw_Sean

ravenchilde

join:2011-04-01
kudos:2

1 edit
reply to Dollarz
said by Dollarz:

I called Shaw and had my cisco modem bridged, I have sent the signal to a switch so that both my hard wired computers are each assigned a separate ip, but i noticed when I'm using one to download the others download speed slows down, my question is does Shaw do load balancing, so even with 2 ips I still have the bandwidth of BB50 capped at max of 50mbps regardless. I was expecting to get both lines near max. I can usually get a reading of 47-50 on my computers running the the Shaw speed test individually.

Load balancing is not the correct term. Technically its just that your modem has a contract for BB50 and limits the modem throughput to 50 mbps. No matter how many IPs you have, you are still passing through that one modem interface and have that same 50 mbps limit. That is industry standard. Multiple IPs does not mean multiple bandwidth contracts.

I thought there was a package you could get to add a second modem to your house for like $20 but I can't find it on the site.

Cornat

join:2011-10-17
Kelowna, BC
said by ravenchilde:

I thought there was a package you could get to add a second modem to your house for like $20 but I can't find it on the site.

You can get a second modem that would provide the equivalent service of the first modem, but thats only available on High Speed for $10 or Extreme for $20, not on the BB packages

ravenchilde

join:2011-04-01
kudos:2
Moot point then.

rustydusty

join:2009-09-29
Red Deer, AB
reply to Dollarz
Looks like it's available to all Business plans.

Cornat

join:2011-10-17
Kelowna, BC
Where are you seeing that?

kevinds
Premium
join:2003-05-01
Calgary, AB
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Shaw

1 edit
On the list of Business plans, at the bottom is a WiFi ad,

»shaw.ca/Business/Internet-And-Ga···ireless/

I am not aware of this being available on any residental plans.
--
Yes, I am not employed and looking for IT work. Have passport, will travel.

rustydusty

join:2009-09-29
Red Deer, AB
reply to Dollarz
Yeah, ain't available to residential. Unless you just want to order a second line completely.