www.toao.net
kudos:12
Reviews:
·Callcentric
·Anveo
·Shaw
·AcroVoice

2 recommendations

[MyFax / eFax] $500 if you port out, AND we'll take it back!

Those who were around the forum last year probably know I was a fairly vocal supporter of the Canadian service MyFax. In December of 2010, they were bought by j2. (Thanks PX!) Needless to say, I now use a competitor.

MaynardKrebs posted here in 2010 asking about porting out a j2 number. I wrongly interpreted this as the $500 being a porting out fee. It's not.

said by »www2.efax.com/customer-agreement :

YOU AGREE TO IMMEDIATELY RETURN THE eFAX NUMBER(S) TO j2 GLOBAL AND PAY j2 GLOBAL AN AMOUNT EQUAL TO U.S. $500 (OR THE EQUIVALENT IN LOCAL CURRENCY).

If you port out a number, you have to pay the $500 =and= they reclaim the number!

It gets better. According to archive.org, sometime between June and November 2009, j2's customer agreement was changed, with regards to numbers you have ported in to the service. (I paraphrased some the legalese.)

said by »web.archive.org/web/200906190654···greement :

IF YOU “PORTED IN” A TELEPHONE NUMBER IN CONNECTION WITH YOUR USE OF eFAX [you can port out if you let us know in writing and pay $40.] IF YOU FAIL TO SATISFY THESE REQUIREMENTS, THE TELEPHONE NUMBER YOU “PORTED IN” WILL BECOME THE SOLE AND EXCLUSIVE PROPERTY OF j2 GLOBAL.

said by »web.archive.org/web/200911181451···greement :

IF YOU "PORTED IN" ANY TELEPHONE NUMBER(S) [you can port out if you let us know in writing and pay $40.] THE COMPANY ALSO RETAINS THE RIGHT TO RECLAIM THE NUMBER(S) FROM YOU AFTER THE NUMBER(S) ARE PORTED OUT IN CONTRAVENTION WITH THESE REQUIREMENTS AND TO CHARGE YOUR CREDIT CARD THE US$500

They allow porting out of a number if you have ported it in. But if you forget to notify them in writing, you now have to pay $500 to add insult to the injury of losing your number.

They're blatantly hoping customers won't read all the legalese and reserving the right to bully them into remaining customers if they wish to switch to a competitor.

Protus's (MyFax) terms were silently changed to match j2's sometime between May 2011 and now.

There wasn't any advice in MaynardKrebs' thread, so I'll ask again: has anyone successfully ported out a number assigned to them by j2 / eFax, and not had to pay the fee? If so, how did you do it?

If you're looking for fax service, and even if you don't care about porting your number later, I recommend you look to alternatives to j2 / eFax / MyFax. Why not support a reputable company instead?

m.

PX Eliezer7
Premium
join:2008-08-09
Hutt River
kudos:13
Reviews:
·callwithus
·voip.ms

Thanks Mango for this important information.

Ah, well.

Could be worse. They don't seem to want your firstborn, your classic comic book collection, your Babylon5 VHS videotapes, or your Hilton Honors points. Nor do they want droit du seigneur. So it could be worse.

----------------------------------------------------

Now, here is one company that seems friendlier, that one of our fellow forum members recently used with good results (I don't remember who):

»www.srfax.com/online-fax-to-emai···ices.php

They are Canadian (from BC in fact) so should be double-nice.

HOWEVER, even their TOS state:

You agree that you are not the owner of any SRFAX Number. Generally, the phone network carrier reserves ownership of numbers. We reserve the right to alter or reassign any SRFAX Number if the owner of the number requires this. We will give you notice of this as soon as we become aware of the likelihood of such a change. On termination of the Service we may allocate any SRFAX Numbers to another customer without reference to you.

Garg!

The fact is, pure FAX companies are not subject to the same porting (LNP) requirements as the phone companies are (POTS/VoIP/Mobile).

Now, while some FAX companies are especially nasty about it, and other companies may try to be nicer, it is an issue to be aware of.

yahoo2003

join:2007-11-02
Mclean, VA
Reviews:
·callwithus
·Anveo
reply to Mango

I switched from MyFax to Anveo earlier this year, not because the service of MyFax, but Anveo's lower rates.

I had fax to email service from a Fax to email company later bought by MyFax, the service had been very reliable for years.

I did not bother to port the number, since it's easier to inform senders the new fax number, beside I had only 202 area code for the previous provider, I was able to get a 703 area code from Anveo.

MyFax refunded my balances after I refused their offers.

pandora
Premium
join:2001-06-01
Outland
kudos:2
Reviews:
·ooma
·Google Voice
·Comcast
·Future Nine Corp..
reply to Mango

Interesting story. Guess it's not the best company to work with.

Though as I read it, I kept being haunted by MaynardKrebs. I'm old enough to know who Maynard G. Krebs is (or was), and kept chuckling a bit during each reference to the fictional beatnik of a long dead show.

Sorry about the business problems, for thanks for a flashback to my youth and Maynard.
--
"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use."

N9MD
Too busy to chat
Premium
join:2005-10-08
Boca Raton, FL
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Callcentric
·voip.ms
·VOIPO
·CIKTEL Telecom

2 edits

Re: Bob Denver

said by pandora:

... Maynard G. Krebs ...

Let's not forget that Bob Denver also played Gilligan on Gilligan's Island.  Alas, Mr.Denver (born Robert Osbourne Denver in New Rochelle NY in 1935) died in May of 2005.

Had VoIP and WiFi existed during the stranding on the Island in the early 1960s, he and his cohorts would have been rescued within a few days.

PX Eliezer7
Premium
Hutt River
Reviews:
·callwithus
·voip.ms

said by N9MD:

Had VoIP and WiFi existed during the stranding on the Island in the mid-1960s, he and his cohorts would have been rescued within a few days.

Nah.

Remember the theme song:

No phone, no lights no motor car,
not a single luxury,
like Robinson Crusoe,
not even AOL IP....

Now, the Professor could have easily gotten them rescued, but he wanted to stay with Ginger and Mary Ann. He was no dope.

-------------------------------------------------

Actually, Gilligans Island does relate to VoIP.

The "SS Minnow" was sardonically named for the FCC Chairman, Newton Minow, who in 1961 described television as being a vast wasteland.

On this 50th anniversary of his speech, it is worth reading----and how little things have changed in all that time!

»www.americanrhetoric.com/speeche···inow.htm

pandora
Premium
Outland
Reviews:
·ooma
·Google Voice
·Comcast
·Future Nine Corp..
reply to N9MD

said by N9MD:

said by pandora:

... Maynard G. Krebs ...

Let's not forget that Bob Denver also played Gilligan on Gilligan's Island.  Alas, Mr.Denver (born Robert Osbourne Denver in New Rochelle NY in 1935) died in May of 2005.

Had VoIP and WiFi existed during the stranding on the Island in the mid-1960s, he and his cohorts would have been rescued within a few days.

I didn't need to use google and get a bio of Bob Denver, I knew who Maynard Krebs was without a search tool, which is why it was instantly funny to me. Use of the handle MaynardKrebs indicates someone who may be a bit older than the average person on internet.

The character Maynard Krebs was great, and I recall the part as a bit atypical of the stuff on TV at the time.

As to WiFi or VOIP leading to escape from Gilligan's Island, no, they had many chances to escape, each foiled. The question weekly wasn't if they would escape, but how they'd fail. Regardless of venue, failure was required as it was central to the plot of the show. Later, after the show was over, some made for TV movies based on the show had escapes (and returns).

Sometimes it's more fun (for me) to have actual memories of things than search results. MaynardKrebs is in my internal search engine and instantly recognizable, no wikipedia, google, or other search necessary.
--
"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use."

mazilo
From Mazilo
Premium
join:2002-05-30
Lilburn, GA
kudos:4

said by pandora:

said by N9MD:

said by pandora:

... Maynard G. Krebs ...

I didn't need to use google and get a bio of Bob Denver, I knew who Maynard Krebs was without a search tool, which is why it was instantly funny to me. Use of the handle MaynardKrebs indicates someone who may be a bit older than the average person on internet.

You are wrong! Had you ever heard RetroTV channel?
--
don't and stop are the ONLY two 4-letter words considered offensive to men, but not when used together.

pandora
Premium
Outland
Reviews:
·ooma
·Google Voice
·Comcast
·Future Nine Corp..

said by mazilo:

Nope, but it doesn't affect my personal recollection. It's doubtful the content of Dobie Gillis would be of much interest to many younger people today. It is in black and white, and the shows were relatively bland. Humor was topical and much of it likely wouldn't be understood by a young viewer.

You can't relive another time, it can be researched, googled, and what not. However the humor of using the handle would indicate an older user imo.
--

garys_2k
Premium
join:2004-05-07
Farmington, MI
Reviews:
·Callcentric
·callwithus

1 recommendation

reply to pandora

Re: [MyFax / eFax] $500 if you port out, AND we'll take it back!

I remember Maynard, too. In fact, a few years ago I was pondering the direction that jazz took during the 1950s-60s and how it came to be less rhythmic, more meandering with technically difficult interludes. I thought "Who would listen to that and immediately accept it?"

Then, of course, I recall Maynard. "Of course!" Maynard would love sitting in the coffee shop, listening to that sort of music. It would be his groove, man.

pandora
Premium
Outland
Reviews:
·ooma
·Google Voice
·Comcast
·Future Nine Corp..

said by garys_2k:

I remember Maynard, too. In fact, a few years ago I was pondering the direction that jazz took during the 1950s-60s and how it came to be less rhythmic, more meandering with technically difficult interludes. I thought "Who would listen to that and immediately accept it?"

Then, of course, I recall Maynard. "Of course!" Maynard would love sitting in the coffee shop, listening to that sort of music. It would be his groove, man.

Thanks for the smile.
--

mazilo
From Mazilo
Premium
Lilburn, GA
reply to pandora

Re: Bob Denver

said by pandora:

said by mazilo:

It's doubtful the content of Dobie Gillis would be of much interest to many younger people today. It is in black and white, and the shows were relatively bland. Humor was topical and much of it likely wouldn't be understood by a young viewer.

Again, YOU ARE WRONG!!!!!!!!
--
don't and stop are the ONLY two 4-letter words considered offensive to men, but not when used together.

pandora
Premium
Outland
Reviews:
·ooma
·Google Voice
·Comcast
·Future Nine Corp..

said by mazilo:

We disagree.
--

PX Eliezer7
Premium
Hutt River
Reviews:
·callwithus
·voip.ms
reply to mazilo

said by mazilo:

I think that Maynard would advise you to "like, relax".

mazilo
From Mazilo
Premium
Lilburn, GA

said by PX Eliezer7:

said by mazilo:

I think that Maynard would advise you to "like, relax".

Is that your wish to see me more relax?
--

N9MD
Too busy to chat
Premium
Boca Raton, FL
Reviews:
·Callcentric
·voip.ms
·VOIPO
·CIKTEL Telecom
reply to pandora

said by pandora:

Hey, Pandora.  Don't take our posts as demeaning your knowledge and skills.  PX Eliexer and I (and others) often expand on references to the pre-historic era.

Given that I'll be 70 years old at my upcoming birthday, I didn't need to use Google either ... except to present a simple "born & died" comment to provide some of our younger readers with a frame of reference to the era of G.I. (not referring to my Gastro-Intestinal life's work)... and to offer a loose link between the G.I. off-topic references and the subject of VoIP. (Incidentally. I was in college when the show aired, with a greater interest in MTM ... but I did enjoy Dobie et al.)

Don't underestimate the younger (my kids' age) and the much younger (my grandkids' age) generations.  They all love the music of the 50s, 60s and 70s and they truly enjoy watching the often inane "retro" B&W TV shows ... when visiting us in our Florida residence where we do have Retro-TV on the cable.  Teens and tweens of today often sit with their elders (of whom I am one) to learn about the "olden days".

Maybe I can bring an ever bigger smile to your face with the mention of Thalia (Tuesday Weld).

N9MD
Too busy to chat
Premium
Boca Raton, FL
Reviews:
·Callcentric
·voip.ms
·VOIPO
·CIKTEL Telecom
reply to garys_2k

Re: [MyFax / eFax] $500 if you port out, AND we'll take it back!

said by garys_2k:

Hey, Gary ... your post triggered puzzlement and nostalgia on my first read-through. I thought you were referencing Maynard Ferguson ... my wife and I saw him and Dave Brubeck at Basin Street East in NYC on the evening of our high school senior prom. [Take Five!]

garys_2k
Premium
join:2004-05-07
Farmington, MI

Couldn't you just see Maynard G. Krebs just gettin' into that sound? Hmm, maybe they picked the name "Maynard" for Maynard Ferguson. Now I'll have to do some research...

aaaaaa29

@comcast.net

This is lame news.

Anyone ever tried metrofax? I think there's a port in my future. Wish me luck!

aaaaaa29

@comcast.net

Hmm, the TOS seems to be nearly identical to myfax's. But it's cheaper and the website is way smoother.

PX Eliezer7
Premium
Hutt River
Reviews:
·callwithus
·voip.ms

said by aaaaaa29 :

Hmm, the TOS seems to be nearly identical to myfax's.

You are right about that. Metrofax has a very rigid policy on number porting.

------------------------------------------------------

And rather than put up with that, folks can use FAX87.

Their website is not as spiffy as Metrofax's, BUT there is one BIG benefit of FAX87:

What if I want to cancel? Can I take my number with me?

Absolutely. You are the owner of that number and at anytime you can take that number to a different carrier of your choosing with no cost from our side. The receiving carrier might charge but we provide the service for free.

»fax87.com/faqs/
»fax87.com/index.php

N9MD
Too busy to chat
Premium
Boca Raton, FL
Reviews:
·Callcentric
·voip.ms
·VOIPO
·CIKTEL Telecom
reply to garys_2k

said by garys_2k:

Couldn't you just see Maynard G. Krebs just gettin' into that sound? Hmm, maybe they picked the name "Maynard" for Maynard Ferguson. Now I'll have to do some research...

Sorry to barge in again ... but googling Maynard G Krebs and Maynard Ferguson --- OMG, I googled! --- revealed a curious fact that may represent a connection.

Several sources remind us that Krebs full name was "Maynard G. Krebs ... the G. stands for Walter ... the G is silent!"

Amazingly, Maynard Ferguson's birth name was Walter Maynard Ferguson!

Discuss amongst yourselves.  I'm so verklempt.

PX Eliezer7
Premium
Hutt River

This is getting to be a regular Krebs cycle.

FaxLogic
Premium
join:2011-11-24
Dallas, TX

1 recommendation

reply to Mango

@PX made the point that fax service providers are not subject to LNP rules like VoIP providers, CLECs, etc. This is generally true, except for companies that provide voice and fax services (like RingCentral, for example). But even so, many fax service providers still allow you to port out your number, even if they aren't legally obligated to do so. As a rule, always check the terms!

To be clear, it has always been our policy that the customer owns their number, regardless of whether they ported it in or we assigned it. That's how we'd like to be treated, so that's how we treat our customers.

But as was also pointed out, most people that sign up for a fax service either don't bother to read the terms, don't fully understand the legalese around this topic, or simply don't think about it. Unfortunately, by the time it matters, it's often too late.