All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
17775992 (banned)
join:2011-11-16
Chicago, IL

17775992 (banned) to Mele20

to Mele20

Re: Facebook now wants your personal phone number....

said by Mele20:

But they will share your photo in an AD?! OMG. How can anyone intelligent about computers and posting in this forum try to justify Facebook?

I have a clear and straightforward question for you ...

Do you consider DSLReports safe and secure? More than Facebook?
More than any social website anywhere?
19579823 (banned)
An Awesome Dude
join:2003-08-04

1 recommendation

19579823 (banned)

quote:
Yes i do

1) THEY DONT ASK FOR PERSONAL INFO
2) THEY DONT FORCE YOUR REAL NAME
3) THEY DONT WANT YOUR PHOTO

Thats just 3 right there!
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

I missed that post by 17775992 See Profile until just now. Sorry.

Like dude1111 See Profile I too consider DSLReports safe and secure as far as selling user information, etc.

I haven't been asked for a photo of myself. I haven't had to provide my real name here nor have I ever been asked for a cell phone number or my home address, etc. My antivirus forum demands my full real name and address starting about a year ago and that is not even a "social" website (nor is this site in the strictest sense but in some ways it is a social website).

DSLR stands almost alone on the net of large, popular websites that allow anon posting. If Justin wanted to secretly sell our information (if it were asked for) I don't think his site would allow anon posters. That stance has been in place since the beginning of this site and is a good indicator of the stance of the site and its owner regarding the mining of personal information.

I do wish one little thing though. When is Justin going to fix the password problem?
17775992 (banned)
join:2011-11-16
Chicago, IL

17775992 (banned)

I guess you have not paid attention to the Google and Google-analytic scripts that collect information(you have no-script blocking them right?).

Facebook has NEVER asked for any of my personal information or for me to prove I am who I say I am, never required to post a real picture of me or my real location.

There is NO SUCH THING of truly anon posting on Internet anywhere.

1 recommendation

17775992 (banned) to 19579823

to 19579823
said by 19579823:

Yes I do

1) THEY DON'T ASK FOR PERSONAL INFO
2) THEY DON'T FORCE YOUR REAL NAME
3) THEY DON'T WANT YOUR PHOTO

Thats just 3 right there!

Neither does Facebook ....
Real Name, kinda defeats the purpose of joining Facebook not joining with your real name or what most people know you as.
NO WHERE do they require you to post any personal information but again kinda defeats the purpose of joining Facebook not giving your real location.
Loads of non-paranoid people have posted their pictures here, again not required on Facebook.
The OPTION of listing your phone number on Facebook is if you don't mind your "friends" knowing your number, or in a separate area if you have problems logging on or if there are issues with your account, there is NO requirement to do so in either case.

Life is so much more relaxing not being paranoid.
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20 to 17775992

Premium Member

to 17775992
I have the Google cookies blocked but I haven't seen any attempt to set those in a long time if you have to renew login here. I block Google-analytics (and other Google sites) in my hosts file. Ghostery reports no trackers here.
Expand your moderator at work
dave
Premium Member
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio

3 recommendations

dave to 19579823

Premium Member

to 19579823

Re:  

said by 19579823:

Yes i do

Mind you, you're still leaving a trail a mile wide.

»www.google.com/search?q= ··· me+Dude"

I assume not all these guys are you, but your writing style is distinctive enough to recognize, and you reuse the same avatar a lot. So we can build up a fairly comprehensive picture starting from this here site.

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium Member
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30

Doctor Olds to 17775992

Premium Member

to 17775992
said by 17775992:

Facebook has NEVER asked for any of my personal information or for me to prove I am who I say I am, never required to post a real picture of me or my real location.

They just have not gotten around to you yet, but since you have now posted about it (they do have a few members to go through so it's not like there are only a dozen to compare to). Karma says you will likely end up like the OP and several others sooner than you may have wished. Karma has a wonderful way of making people eat crow.

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium Member
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ

AVD

Premium Member

If you deep fry crow, it tastes like turkey.

Cheese
Premium Member
join:2003-10-26
Naples, FL

Cheese

Premium Member

said by AVD:

If you deep fry crow, it tastes like turkey.

mmmmm! deep fried crow!

carpetshark3
Premium Member
join:2004-02-12
Idledale, CO

1 recommendation

carpetshark3 to 17775992

Premium Member

to 17775992
Why should you give FB your real name? My friends know who I am and they are the only ones allowed to see either FB, Twitter or Flickr.
Friends post kids pics, so I read stuff there. Better than the damn Walgreens photo albums they both use.