how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

dlathem
Premium
join:2000-08-11
Birmingham, AL

EL Customer Service/Tech Support SUCKS! But We Know That!

I got my ELM DSL line in about 1998. Since that time I have used the same Speedstream 5260 modem. Today, my usually rock solid DSL speeds dropped from 3Mbs down to 172Kbs down. I did the usual stuff, unplugged power cycled and all that. I could not get any faster speed...all the lights showed green.

I called ELM to check for line problems. After waiting 30 minutes to talk with a tech support person I was told my account was inactive and therefore throttled. I informed "Pete" that I had paid my bill and I had actually received a call yesterday from a young lady thanking me for paying it.

"Pete" said I would have to have customer service take care of the situation. Customer service came on and verified my account was in good standing and then sent me back to "Steve" in technical support.

Steve told me the line was fine and my modem needed replacing for a cost of 49.95 for a refurb, or free if I would sign a contract.

I am not sure that I believe "Steve". The modem works, but is not running at the normal speed.

I also found out from "Steve" that COVAD no longer supplies my line and that ATT does.

So, should I believe Steve, should I just go with ATT and get a free modem?

Steve did not sound like he put a lot into the diagnosis of a bad modem. The modem works, but not at the normal speed.

I declined the purchase or free modem with contract and decided to perform more troubleshooting on my end.

About an hour later I called tech support back and got "Josh". I explained the problem and what I had done. He said I needed to be escalated up a level and very soon I was speaking with "Victor". (I wonder if Peggy works there too?).

Victor asked me to perform a speed test, which I did. He put me on hold and after 20 minutes the line automatically HUNG UP on me!

I get home and find that my ATT DSL service is BORKED! I perform my own test and see the connection going on and off and the speeds are changing every time the modem resets.

I call ATT and get a message about a regional DSL outage. I watched the issue at home for a few hours and it eventually clears up.

This morning my Earthlink DSL is just fine. I guess I did not need that new modem after all STEVE! Since ATT provides Earthlinks lines is it only expected that they would be impacted by a regional ATT DSL problem. I guess Steve, Josh, Victor and Pete never, ever thought of checking this aspect of their service.

Fortunately, I rarely have a problem with my Earthlink DSL line. When I do, I know I CANNOT rely upon ANYONE at Earthlink being competent to do ANYTHING about it...other than try to sell me a modem or get me on a contract.

Thanks for reading this rant...it was all so absurd....

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium,VIP
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30
kudos:18

said by dlathem:

Today, my usually rock solid DSL speeds dropped from 3Mbs down to 172Kbs down. I did the usual stuff, unplugged power cycled and all that. I could not get any faster speed...all the lights showed green.

I called ELM to check for line problems. After waiting 30 minutes to talk with a tech support person I was told my account was inactive and therefore throttled.

Customer service came on and verified my account was in good standing and then sent me back to "Steve" in technical support.

Steve told me the line was fine and my modem needed replacing for a cost of 49.95 for a refurb, or free if I would sign a contract.

The modem works, but is not running at the normal speed.

I declined the purchase or free modem with contract and decided to perform more troubleshooting on my end.

About an hour later I called tech support back and got "Josh". I explained the problem and what I had done. He said I needed to be escalated up a level and very soon I was speaking with "Victor". (I wonder if Peggy works there too?).

Victor asked me to perform a speed test, which I did. He put me on hold and after 20 minutes the line automatically HUNG UP on me!

I get home and find that my ATT DSL service is BORKED! I perform my own test and see the connection going on and off and the speeds are changing every time the modem resets.

I call ATT and get a message about a regional DSL outage. I watched the issue at home for a few hours and it eventually clears up.

This morning my Earthlink DSL is just fine. I guess I did not need that new modem after all STEVE! Since ATT provides Earthlinks lines is it only expected that they would be impacted by a regional ATT DSL problem. I guess Steve, Josh, Victor and Pete never, ever thought of checking this aspect of their service.

Fortunately, I rarely have a problem with my Earthlink DSL line. When I do, I know I CANNOT rely upon ANYONE at Earthlink being competent to do ANYTHING about it...other than try to sell me a modem or get me on a contract.

Yes, their stock answer to DSL support requests (sync issues, speed issues, etc.) is to try to sell you a Modem or sell you a 12 month Contract (that gets you the new Modem for free by locking you into the contract) instead of actually pulling any line stats or checking with vendors to see if any outages or any issues exist.
--
What’s the point of owning a supercar if you can’t scare yourself stupid from time to time?

dlathem
Premium
join:2000-08-11
Birmingham, AL

I just received an email wanting me to fill out a customer service satisfaction survey. I will have fun with that....then again they most likely will not even read it.

skj
Welcome to the far side of reality
Premium,Mod
join:2002-04-04
Gone South
kudos:1

1 recommendation

reply to dlathem

Earthlink is fine until you need customer "support", which is horrible. They are of very little help because they don't have the training or the knowledge to help you. A while back we actually had techs in the forum who could help you. Unfortunately, they are long gone.
--

Reality is the leading cause of stress among those who are in touch with it.--Jane Wagner

Henderson50

join:2005-01-16
Chicago, IL

I miss those techs too . I had a problem with a dozen calls to tech support not helping at all. Finally got ahold of one of the techs here and they reported there was a major problem in my area that Earthlink was slowly fixing over the course of several months, I was probably one of the last neighborhoods. Of course that was after I spent about $200 on a new router, new cables, new phone jacks, etc. trying to rule out everything.

And not one Earthlink phone rep was aware of any issues in the area. Yeah, I definitely miss those techs that used to frequent these forums and help out in the extreme cases.