how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

thomas2011

@comcast.net
reply to josephf

Re: NYTimes: Who's on the Line? Increasingly, Caller ID Is Duped

a friend who was recently a crime victim has noticed that all the calls from the police, court officials and other government agencies have had very clearly spoofed caller ID. things like '1234567' and '555-555-5555'

a couple years ago i had a couple calls from the police with similar CID

i can not think of any practical reason why the police and/or other government officials should transmit such CID.

if anything it makes them likely to be suspected as telemarketers and not have the calls answered.

scooper

join:2000-07-11
Youngsville, NC
kudos:2
As I said - I have my automatic answering devices set to long ring times - at least 6 rings - then the calling party can leave a message if they are serious about talking to me. A 555-555-5555 number would be ignored by us live.

blohner

join:2002-06-26
Cortlandt Manor, NY
Reviews:
·ooma
·Google Voice
·Optimum Online
reply to thomas2011
Any call I get (don't think I had any in recent years) from Police, Court, IRS, Banks etc... during which they expect me to divulge personal information I politely ask for their extension and exact location - letting them know I will call back using the published number and ask to be connected... I would not trust the call otherwise..
--
I am addicted to speed --- Boost + speed that is ---

MZB

join:2010-11-25
Dunrobin, ON
reply to thomas2011
said by thomas2011 :

i can not think of any practical reason why the police and/or other government officials should transmit such CID.

I've had a couple of (legit) calls from the police with a blocked caller id: the police officer was calling from home.

I route anonymous calls to a "We do not accept anonymous calls on this number" recorded message (in case they are legit), and calls with obviously fake caller id to hangup or busy.

Skype calls (when the user doesn't have Skype-in) used to produce an obviously fake caller id, but I think this has been changed. (For me, skype calls fall in the telemarketer category anyway).

I'm also considering routing all 18XX callers directly to voice mail.